Has anyone hacked the 13.3" retina with a standard 1.8" ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macman34, Apr 13, 2013.

1. macman34 macrumors regular

Apparently the slot apple allotted for the ssd, right under the trackpad, allows for a 1.8" drive to fit, so one only need to have and be able to fit a custom apple to standard sata connector/peripheral slip in on of the great and cheap ssds on the market, and bob's your uncle.

But I 've not been able to find anyone claiming the mod online, or even if such a an apple to standard sata connector exists. So things don't look to good at the moment.

2. tengtengvn macrumors member

tengtengvn

You also need a converter since Apple doesn't use mSATA connector.

3. macman34 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, that's what I said, an apple to sata converter, if anyone's come up with it, and if both it and the drive can still fit in the enclosure under the trackpad.

4. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Yes I remember reading this on the ifixit teardown!

Never eventuated I don't think :(

5. macman34, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

macman34 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah how come? Surely one can make a connector (although the ones that generally would, owc namely, would rather sell you their own custom blade ssds), and the drive does fit, so what's the hold up? The only I think might not work out is if it turns out both the drive and the converter don't fit in the slot. But boy it would be a dream to do away with apple's **** ssd and get a better, faster and waaay cheaper one. The samsung 840 pro on my mini has given it benchmarks better than what the retina line gets or the imac.

edit: Come on guys, no one's managed to hack this thing?