has anyone had any recent luck with early upgrades?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clumsyalex, Sep 11, 2013.

1. clumsyalex macrumors newbie

I've been with verizon for quite some time now, and I would like to upgrade to the 5s, but the thing is my upgrade is not due till 4/14. Now I would have been able to upgrade at least in december had verizon not changed their upgrading policy. So I'm prettymuch stuck with an iphone 4 with a broken lock button till then...

I've heard some stories where if you call verizon in some cases they do let you upgrade early, but I haven't heard of any such luck since the policy change. My question is, has anyone been able to do so recently? And if so what exactly did you do to make this happen?

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Most the carriers got rid of the early upgrade that we all used to enjoy. My friend who works at AT&T says it is out of their hands and a early upgrade is not possible at the store level. The computer will not let them do it.

3. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I currently use a AT&T for my cellphone service, I can do an early upgrade one year after my cell phone purchase but the catch is that AT&T will charge an extra $250 to do so. I do plan to upgrade to the 5S myself, I currently have an iPhone 5 which is only about six months old since I had the original one replaced after dropping it in gasoline. So I should be able to get top dollar for my iPhone 5 since there are no scratches or any cosmetic blemishes on it currently. I should try to sell it for at least $500. It is the white 64 GB version.

So as for an early upgrade fee, I don't mind so much if I can sell my phone and I enough price to purchase a new one.

4. clumsyalex thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if verizon does this as well? I don't know if it would be worth it at the $250 price for me since adding the $199 for upgrade plus other charges would add up to nearly the off contract price. At that point I might have better luck with craigslist. Plus I don't think I would be able to sell my iphone for much at all either :(

5. iceman027 macrumors member

I talked to Verizon rep online asking this question and the answer I got was no.