Has anyone had Apple upgrade their 6+ to 6s+ for free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ACG12, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

Long story short, my co-worker expressed his frustration with extreme lag with his 128gb iPhone 6+ he purchased Dec. 2014. After going back and forth with Apple, they exchanged his out of warranty phone for a replacement for half of the normal $300 fee they charged.

A week later he's having the same issues with this one and yesterday he some how got the store manager at the Apple Store to replace it with a brand new 128gb 6S+.

I was quiet shocked and even checked the serial # showing its not just another replacement. It has warranty until 4/26/2016. I'm seriously considering trying it as well. My 6+ is frustrating because of the lack of RAM.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2016 ---
    Oh and they refunded him the $150 he paid for the replacement 6+!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Your friend is very lucky and quite possibly the recipient of Apple's customer program known as "Surprise and Delight".

Apple does not ordinarily do this. I know of people that have been upgraded (a 5c to a 5s) because there was a significant chain of events that led to a large number of replacements, but this is out of the ordinary.

If Apple did this frequently you would have a lot of people breaking screens and smashing phones any time there was a new model release.

Apple replaces like for like - you get back what you give them.

Again. Out of the ordinary, not common.

3. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I told him that he was lucky as hell when they did that for him. I don't blame him for trying, spending over $1000 for a phone that was subpar out of the box is upsetting.

4. der meister macrumors newbie

der meister

AppleCare over the phone have the power to do this, however, they will tell you they don't and it requires extraordinary circumstances to get it done. It takes getting a replacement like six times. Definitely not something to expect.

Not sure store managers can do it.

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

Actually it's up to the store manager. The Genius Bar employee has to get the store manager approval.

Forgot if it was the 4s or 5. But my wife iPhone was 7-8 days out of warranty and store manager replaced her iPhone (same model for same model) cause of ear piece problem/mic problem. Manager approval.

6. der meister macrumors newbie

der meister

We were talking about replacing a model with a different, upgraded model (i.e. 6+ with 6S+).

7. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple collects very high gross margins from the sales of the pricey iPhone models. As a result they are so fat and happy that they can easily make themselves look good. Try it, I have.

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

apple wouldn't even change the color for me. the only time i ever got apple to give me an upgrade was when i replaced why mouse under applecare and got a magic mouse