Has anyone had success running iDVD7.04 in Snow Leopard 10.6.x?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RHVC59, Nov 15, 2009.

1. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

I finally needed to use iDVD to make a DVD for family members of the pictures I took an my niece’s wedding. I told my wife “Sure, no problem we can do that on my Mac…http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/redface.gif I have spent the last two weekends, and most of last week trying to get iDVD to work. My poor MBP. I reinstalled, deleted plists files, rooted out every trace of the program, repaired permissions, reinstalled, updated, searched Apple’s site for some clue, all with no joy…

The program will open, allow me to start a project, and then just disappear. If I try to exit, it comes back and asks if “I want to save the project,” then the dreaded spinning beach ball. I have to force quit the program. On the other hand, if I go the Magic Disk route, it will let me assemble the project, but when I try to preview, or save the project, the program disappears completely. ARG, So frustrating!!!
    http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif
    Today I was at least able to make a DVD to show proof of concept to my lovely wife…

It dawned on me that when I installed Snow Leopard, I did it on a minty fresh 500 gig hard drive. I still had the old Leopard 10.5 on the old disk I had in a USB external case, which I keep at work as a backup. (I recommend when a major upgrade happens to purchase two of the largest hard drives available at that time, using one for a time machine, and the other one to install the new OS on, keeping the old disk as a backup in case of disaster. Until now I have never Needed the old system…) Anyway I brought it home, plugged it into the MBP, and had no problem making the disk.

So, this leads me to the question, “Has anyone else had success-running iDVD 7.04 from iLife 08 in Snow Leopard 10.6.x?” If so, what hoops did you have to jump through to get it to work? It seems on the sites I looked at anyway that iDVD from iLife 09 is not much different, but I don’t know anyone here in town who has it to test it out. I would love to be able to work from SL, rather than off my old backup.

It dawned on me that when I installed Snow Leopard, I did it on a minty fresh 500 gig hard drive. I still had the old Leopard 10.5 on the old disk I had in a USB external case, which I keep at work as a backup. (I recommend when a major upgrade happens to purchase two of the largest hard drives available at that time, using one for a time machine, and the other one to install the new OS on, keeping the old disk as a backup in case of disaster. Until now I have never Needed the old system…) Anyway I brought it home, plugged it into the MBP, and had no problem making the disk.

2. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I managed to burn a DVD with iDVD.
    But very strange. It took over an hour to do a small 1 minute movie.
    It said it as doing the menus.
    The fans were going on the MacBook, but the activity monitor said low % (like < 10%).
    We got a green screen & garbled video.
    I've never had a problem under Leopard (or lower).

3. RHVC59 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are doing better than I, I can not get the program to open and now I am experiencing an issue with the leopard backup disk. It gets to the three minute mark and freezes. I am about to try a compleat fresh install of Snow Lepard, or reverting to my windows machine. At least it will burn adarn DVD:confused:

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

After a couple of burps & farts by iMovie & iDVD, we burned another DVD. This time it was much faster.
    I don't have a lot of confidence in Snow Leopard at the moment.
    Not going to upgrade my iMac until Snow Leopard on the MacBook settles down & is more stable.
    I rather surprised at Apple for this.

5. RHVC59 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is a computer company... they are not to be always trusted completely:)

I have been able to resolve my problem, at least I think I have:rolleyes:

Tonight I reinstalled Snow Leopard and updated the install to OS X 10.6.2 (10C540), fired up iDVD 7.04 one more time, and it worked.

The themes loaded. a stopping point before, I was able to load and work on a project and burn it to an image, and use the disk utility to burn a disk that works in our DVD!:)

Not sure why this time it worked, but it did.

So, a reinstall of SL worked for me, I did not even have to reinstall all my apps.

I have been able to resolve my problem, at least I think I have:rolleyes:

Tonight I reinstalled Snow Leopard and updated the install to OS X 10.6.2 (10C540), fired up iDVD 7.04 one more time, and it worked.

The themes loaded. a stopping point before, I was able to load and work on a project and burn it to an image, and use the disk utility to burn a disk that works in our DVD!:)

Not sure why this time it worked, but it did.

So, a reinstall of SL worked for me, I did not even have to reinstall all my apps.