Has anyone here had their mind changed?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, May 23, 2013.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Through discussion and persuasion in this forum, can you think of a time when you've had your mind or opinion changed?

Or have you ever learned something here that anyone has posted that has caused you to change your opinion or reconsider it at least?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Over a period of time yes, my opinions have shifted a little. Nothing sudden. You?

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Yes.
    Some times people have made their points of view, and given me a completely new perspective on a subject.

I must stress the point, that a rant on a forum is like shouting in a debate.:eek:

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

A few times, and its been because the person took the time to explain their position without insults or broad angry generalizations.

5. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Not much, but I'm being enlightened to other viewpoints.

Since I'm neither liberal nor conservative, i agree and disagree with both sides

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Not so much changed but the liberal viewpoints on this forum have 100% convinced me that I will never vote for a Democrat.

7. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

I learn things all the time by arguing with those I disagree with. We all consume media/information which is more apt to feed our pre-disposed notions. I, and many others attempt to avoid this, but it's impossible to avoid it completely.

Discussing important issues with those who adamantly disagree often leads to information being posted I was unaware of or information reformatted to suit their needs at that time. It's interesting to me how often both 'sides' of the political aisle can take the exact same data and come to exact opposite conclusions.

Thankfully, since I'm not beholden to any given party, and very clearly see the hypocrisies both sadly represent, it's easier for me to see these things than most.

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I find my own views change over time as I mull over other viewpoints people have pointed out to me. Most of the time it takes some time, as my mind spends time digesting it, or maybe an example crops up that really makes me understand what the other person was saying, even if I didn't get it then.

Sometimes it only serves to reinforce what I already thought, but that serves a purpose too. Not a bad thing to have your own ideas challenged from time to time.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Too much thinking is never enough...

Although forum debates may not change many minds, they can foster critical thinking.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ditto, but opposite.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Sometimes a different perspective can shed light upon your own opinions. And sometimes I've just been misinformed.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes. I was for the death penalty but have since changed my mind mainly due to several threads in PRSI.

13. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I don't think I'd let what's posted here alone determine how to cast my vote. That's something different than allowing myself to see other points of view, or moderate my own thinking.

:p

14. TedM macrumors 6502

Anytime I've tried to debate or argue something on this forum a radical from the opposite side produces nonsensical information as pivotal information to an argument. So the answer sadly is no.

I will say however that a very good point was made by another user in an abortion thread. My comment was something like Its not my decision because I'm a male. His response was fantastic in stating his opinion that fathers should be considered in the decision making. That swayed me a little to his belief.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I have come to the conclusion that everybody is wrong about everything, and if we can all come to grips with that, we could have meaningful and productive dialog instead of flinging platitudes at each other.

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

While I don't think I've really changed my mind on any BIG issues (such a rigid, closed minded codger!), I have learned a great deal from reading post with which I agree and disagree. Disagreeing doesn't mean I can't learn stuff..even if the argument isn't compelling enough to change my mind.

Just remember that in my case...there's no fool like an old fool, he's had more time to practice!:p

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree with you 100%. I don't know if I've turned 180 degrees on any issue but maybe 90 degrees once in awhile.

I also agree that on issues where I have an opinion but don't have a lot of knowledge, it can be great to hear a more knowledgeable person expound on the issue which can reinforce my opinion.

18. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

A little bit, I'm questioning myself on the death penalty now.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If you walk into a debate about a complicated issue with the attitude that you won't ever change your mind, then you've done nothing but waste everyone's time. It's impossible to have a reasonable discussion or a reasonable disagreement if the person on the other side is unreasonable. Critical thinking is something that I find to be a critical part of everyday life, and I find a disgusting lack of it amongst those who say they would never vote for one party or the other.

(edit) I've changed my mind on several issues due to very cogent and well defined arguments made by some of our conservative members, who are sadly no longer here.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I was on the fence about abortion until some well written posts and links pushed me over firmly to the pro-choice side. Still have a problem with the man has no choice but to pay up whatever some court decides even if he didn't know he had a kid for a years and years thing....but that's a different story....

21. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Hmmm. Given the reading I do away from this forum, especially these days, I could write a book on this topic in a general sense... but I'll try and stick specifically to the long history of this subforum and the usual range of stuff that people talk about here.

Guns: I'm slightly more tolerant of the pro-gun argument as it specifically pertains to American politics than I used to be, now that I understand more about American politics and history in general.

However, I'd never argue for the level and type of gun ownership that you have in any of the countries I've lived in. Besides, if I think of the two countries I've lived in for the longest periods of time: the UK and New Zealand, then neither of these countries have outright bans on firearms either. You can buy and use a limited range of weapons for hunting (deer, ducks, wild pigs) under various licenses, for instance, or you can join shooting clubs... and I've hunted and shot rifles before, although not very successfully.

The Iraq War: Moved way to the left on that from reading this forum. And those who argued against it were right, as with so many other things.

Might have more to say later. Kudos to those who gave examples of when they might have changed their opinions... or even had the balls to admit they might have been wrong once.

22. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While I have not really changed my viewpoints completely, my understanding has certainly grown.

Also I'd like to say that at least 20+ posts in nobody has said "No, cause I'm always right." :)

.... yet

23. zin macrumors 6502

Yes, prior to regularly visiting PRSI I had general disdain for conservatism and (most) Republicans, but now it's more in line with extreme dislikeness.

24. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Ditto, but opposite.

Actually, while I've changed my viewpoint on one or two issues, this forum has made me realize how similar it is to Congress, where most people just stick to their guns no matter what, and generally not much gets done.

I guess in that respect, I've really come to dislike extremists on both sides, who will just never acknowledge that the opposing viewpoint has any validity whatsoever, and are completely rigid and close-minded.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I used to think Libertarianism was a benign political ideology but reading the forums (and greater) I have realised it is wholly terrible.