Has anyone here watched The Red Pill, thoughts on feminism?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Reach9, May 23, 2017.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Hey all, I heard about The Red Pill recently, and I've followed the content of some people who are featured in the documentary. I'm considering buying it as I haven't watched it yet, and I was wondering if anyone here has watched it and what their thoughts are.

Info: http://theredpillmovie.com

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My thoughts are that you're welcome to advocate for whatever cause you like. If you think mens' rights is something to fight for, then go for. As a 56 year-old liberal, who's personally witnessed the struggle that women have gone through in my lifetime, I'll proudly advocate for feminism. Like most things, it just depends on your perspective.

4. Zwopple macrumors regular

I agree, it really comes down to perspective and personal experience. I've first hand seen the struggle of women for no other reason than that they are female.

I think men are priveledged and the doco looks interesting but just from the trailer some things sorta caught me:

1. Workplace deaths are mostly men, that sounds right but I think it's a total oversimplification without backing that data up with % of deaths per gender per job field. Of course construction workers and police officers are going to have way higher on the job mortality rates than teachers and care givers. But it's a total choice, there is nothing preventing a man from being a teacher or a care giver.
    2. The military, run by men, didn't even allow women active duty combat roles until pretty recently. It's absolutely dishonest to suggest that this is a mens right issue when the men in charge didn't want women there.

I do think feminism can go a bit far and it's the difference between fighting for womens rights vs demonising men. Effective Feminism has to come from an angle that "humanity is better with gender diversity and no gender discrimination" rather than "men are pigs". It's a fine line.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I suppose that's your right, but feminism does very little for women. Most of its attributable accomplishments, which are arguably a superset of its constituent's claims, refers to the acts of people (mostly women) before them. Many typical feminist claims do not hold up even under moderate scrutiny, but I suspect much of it comes from people being told the same thing repeatedly.

I don't even see much of an intersection between feminist theory and the general welfare of women. It's more like a really creepy cult to me than anything, but I've said the same thing about several other major religions.

6. darksithpro macrumors regular

The only taste of Feminism I've experienced is in the gaming community. The feminists have been attacking the predominantly male gaming community lately. They don't like the fact that the female characters in our games look like super models and they claim they're dressed in a way that makes them out to be sluts. The feminists want the female characters to look less attractive. The reason I don't agree with this is because the male characters in the games are also in perfect health, all buff and such.

7. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Feminist do appear to be unhinged

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is pretty tired that you don't have women who look ordinary whereas for men you do.

It's also tired how men can't behave around pretty women, whereas women can.

9. darksithpro macrumors regular

Re-read my post. The Men look the same as the Women, they are both in tip top shape and attractive. How can it be sexist when both genders look the same?

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It isn't true that men and women are both attractive.

11. darksithpro macrumors regular

Bullshi*.

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

If you're denying that women, especially in Japanese video games are highly sexualised, then you might need your eyes checking.

13. darksithpro macrumors regular

OMFG, you guys are such full of ****. This is such ****ing ********! What a total misrepresentation of what's going on here!

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Go through the chart. Plenty of men who aren't 10s. No women.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My experience with feminism, and the push towards it for me, was in the gaming community. I was "blind" (I guess) to it at first. As a developer I used to make all my protagonists male. It never occured to me to have a female lead. My partner and I took part in a documentary on this. She did the talking really, and I sat there on camera and absorbed it all. That day I decided to invert my previous thinking and made my next games have female leads, or have the default character as female if theres an option. They're really sexualised in Japanese games too, it's pretty bad really but I don't know any Japanese devs so I can't examine it properly. Like it took Pokemon 4 games before they offered a female lead character - sad.

The majority of gamers are women, 54% IIRC. So I decided to pander to them instead of men. All the developers/studio owners I know barring one or two, identify as feminists and progressive. Even the very famous ones I know want to make more feminist games but rely a lot on marketing and following the scene. (in fact I know several journalists that are left wing but put on a right wing act, for money of course. One of them is a feminist but portrays herself as anti-feminist as a long-running experiment. Shes pretty big on Twitter. I find it all quite funny)

And as a player, personally male protagonists bore me. I think it was when MGSV came out. I was in GAME looking at the new releases and most of them had gruff white men on the covers - all boring and identical. These days, having played games for like 25 years, I want new and interesting stories (if it's a story-based game).

I haven't seen the video. I dunno if I want to really. It seems like one of those egalitarian ones and I don't agree with that (I believe that historically certain groups have been mistreated and hitting the social 'reset' button won't improve their lives), but I could be mistaken.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

All i can think when I hear "the red pill" term is all those idiots on the subreddit by the same name angry at the world that they haven't lost their virginity yet :(

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I actually bought in off the iTunes movie Store! I thought it was interesting and her transformation to 'The Red Pill' seemed very genuine and thought provoking! You should at least rent it tell us what you think of the documentary!

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

I've added it to my downloads ;)

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. I don't use Reddit much and I don't have an account there. But "Red Pill" is so weirdly used, I mean, it was in a film that's arguably about transgender stuff - made by two people who are now transgender, a pill offered by a black man with a woman bossing the newcomer around. I guess maybe the people using this term haven't seen the film since they watched it in the cinema.

20. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

To be fair TheRedPill has changed quite a bit since its inception. It used to be a place where men (and some women) gathered to share strategies on how to have as much sex as possible in today's modern dating scene but has since changed and partially taken over by a bunch of men complaining they cannot succeed in the world and in dating and it is all because of feminism.

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

I've started using reddit more than here. At least on politics subs there racism, abuse by PM and rape apologism aren't the norm like they are here unfortunately.

22. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I've only caught pieces of The Red Pill conversations.

I probably don't know enough but I put it in the same category as the bull **** Alpha Male conversation.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I kind of doubt that, although the statistic might be out there somewhere. It certainly matters how you define gamer, but I don't see how boring and identical is related to the rest of this. It seems more like an issue of poor business decisions to me.

24. nia820, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017

nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I always find it funny when men complain about men's rights. Its like when some white people whine about their rights allegedly being taken away by minorities.

Men still rule the world. Feminism is about making us all equal. There is still a lot of discrimination and objectification of women present. Perhaps if you're not a woman you obviously don't experience, so you may not think these things are still an issue.

Yes women in the last 50 years have made many strides and more rights have been awarded to women. But we still have a way to go.

25. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Many, mammy, or mammary?