Has anyone in the UK upgraded in Store yet... If so what was the procedure!???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anim8or, Jul 11, 2008.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

2. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

3. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

Not looking good is it! My friend who was queueing since 6:30 JUST got his a few minutes ago, unopened and unactivated. He has to do it himself when he gets home. Apparently because of system crash all info is being taken manually.

4. synner macrumors member

synner

Hi,

Just got home with my 3G..

O2's systems went down within 5 mins of the phone going on sale (sound familiar ?).

It's actually not too bad a process to upgrade, about 10 mins sat with an advisor while they frantically refresh a webpage to try and get your details up followed by 5 mins of form filling, quick signature and your off..

16Gb seem very limited, I was 13th in the queue and had to make do with an 8Gb.

Right, off to sync up my new phone !

HTH

Bri

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

^^

like he said above..

basically, i was 6th in line, and only the first 3 managed to get theirs to take home with them..

just as it was my turn the system went down (typical) and had to resort to paper..

BUT, as i was an upgrader they still had to call o2, and the that system was also down, so couldn't walk out with my iphone..

they have reserved my 16gb and am told they will call me once systems are back up (or i could of hung about and waited for x hours)

so that's the state of play really wrt up upgrades..

new customers in o2 stores i think can walk out with their iphones as they don't need that extra call to o2 apparently.

6. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Had to fill in an Application form, they couldn't do it on their network, I think.

They don't open the box and activate it through iTunes in O2.
    They give it you sealed and you swap the sims, restore from last sync and register.

Got my 16GB.

7. chrisblore macrumors regular

I just got back from CPW, saw an iPhone on the counter right in front of my face and was turned away mid-way through the upgrade process. It turns out their systems weren't working with O2 and, as I'd ported my number from CPW in the past, the incompetent sales staff couldn't and point blank refused to attempt to put it through. To say I'm livid would be an understatement and I can't understand how they could get the launch so completely and utterly wrong. It seems us existing iPhone customers are being screwed over left, right and centre and nobody seems willing to do anything to help.

8. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

So we DO have to sign and all that malarky!

See this is info that could have been published! I would have saved a journey if i had known that!

9. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Yes, you must sign an 18 month contract

10. Pointer macrumors regular

Just upgraded in an O2 store, I am an existing iPhone user. Easy as pie, I think the computer systems were down but the guy whipped out a form, filled in a few details, got proof of my signature, bish bash bosh, taken to the till, paid £159 for the last 16gb in the store (I was 10th in line, guy behind me was most upset that I had taken the last 16gb) and am about to start up iTunes so that I can activate it!

The guy in store gave me a new sim and said it would be activated in a couple of days and until then to use my old sim in my original iPhone and that I wouldn't get 3G service until then. The wait is over!!

11. mcnicks macrumors regular

I got mine from CPW on Princes Street in Edinburgh. According to the store manager, the O2 credit checking system went down almost immediately, and I had to wait for about an hour. Eventually CPW switched to using a different credit checking system and, within a few minutes, my order went through. The manager there suggested that the O2 shops might not be able to switch to another system, but he wasn't sure.

12. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Other than the system crash it was fairly quick and easy. Fortunately they were able to reach the upgrade screen on the system which informed them I was eligible for an upgrade and also provided them with a upgrade code. This was written down on the paperwork, cash paid and first out of the store :)

13. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

I know that but I assumed it would all be automatic and they would just extend the existing contract... non of this paperwork stuff!

14. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Upgrade??? If so then what the F*** i was in CPW in cameron toll and they told me they cannot do upgrades?

15. sneeks macrumors 6502a

CPW in Glasgow are doing upgrades, a friend completed one there.

16. Martin-UK macrumors newbie

Just got into work after queing since 7:30 outside O2 on Oxford Street. I was quite surprised to see there wasn't much of a queue when i got there. I think I was 20th in line. I actually had quite a pleasant experience, a lot more so than i thought!

I was informed by one of the members of staff that they had 80 handsets in stock, 20 of which being 16GB. I was one of the lucky ones that walked out with a 16GB, so I'm a happy man!

O2's system did go down pretty much straight away though, which meant the upgrade process took a little longer. Luckily all the staff were friendly and a good laugh so it was good.

Apparently the phones won't be activated for up to 2 days, which sucks, but the guy that served me said it should be tonight... Luckily i'm at work all day so i've not got the option to play with it if i could.

Overall, pretty good service from O2. Stocks were limited but i was told they'd be getting more in over the weekend, so hopefully those that missed out today will have one shortly.

3G here i come...

17. stadidas macrumors regular

I was first in line with my brother at the O2 store. They let four people in. We were there for an hour before people had to start going to work. The other people in the store wanted upgrades, so they put their names down and will have to go back later. Luckily for me I am new to O2 (I have a hacked first generation iPhone), so I managed to get mine as they could take all my details and put them through later.
    It took a while but the sales people were very good; obviously it's not their fault that the system was rubbish. There were a lot of angry people in the queue as I left clutching my carrier bag. I said "I bought a Nokia", and left very quickly.

18. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Where did he buy his original iPhone...? Was it a CPW iPhone contract?

19. Pointer macrumors regular

Reading through the threads here I might have to email somebody about the service at the O2 store in Bury, quick, efficient, helpful, I couldn't have asked for anymore.

20. sneeks macrumors 6502a

No from Apple.

21. chrisblore macrumors regular

Ah. Therein lies the problem. It seems CPW are unable/unwilling to upgrade their own sales and nobody seems to give a s**t to try and solve the problem. :mad:

22. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

HMMMMM this is a mess! I'll wait a week or two and try again!!

23. Martin-UK macrumors newbie

Oh, I forgot to add that they were giving out Water and Muffins to everyone in the queue... Thought that was a nice touch!

24. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Same here.

A delivery driver arrived with more iPhone stock as I left the Glasgow store at 8.30am.

25. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Just got off the phone to O2 customer services, apparently you can upgrade in any Apple Store as well as O2 store and CPW store.