iPad Has anyone made the "downgrade" of an Air to a Retina Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TexasChemE, Jul 28, 2014.

1. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Has anyone made the jump from getting an iPad Air to a Retina iPad Mini? These past few weeks, I have strongly considered making the jump down to a retina mini; I find myself using my rMBP a lot more and would really like having a smaller option than the Air. I just love how you can hold the Mini with one hand...the only thing that I am concerned about is the decreased real estate. I'd appreciate it if anyone that has made the jump would give me some of your feedback!

2. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I've had original mini and upgraded to an air. Only kept the air for about 3 months. The minis are easier to carry around and easier to type on. One handed reading is really nice. The trade off is real estate...but that's not a problem for me. Now I see big iPads and I'm surprised how I ever used one. Mini retina is the way to go for sure....at least for me ;)

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

Earlier this year I first purchased an Air then a rMini. I personally found myself zooming in too much when reading on the rMini. I found I prefer the Air's extra screen real estate and it's significantly smaller and lighter than the iPad 4. So I returned the rMini.

4. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I have both, and the rMini is my main go to device because the reasons stated just above. The only complaint I have about the rMini, or the original for that matter, is the lack of volume. The Air is perfectly loud enough with a decent sound. The mini's, not so much.
    However, it's simply a matter of personal preference, but I don't consider it a downgrade. They are both very satisfying and useful to me.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't consider a downgrade, but rather a change in size.

I've not made the jump, since I switched from the large iPAd to the Mini well before the iPad Air was rolled out. I then upgraded to the rMini last year. I haven't looked back since - great machine and I'm happy with it :)

6. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I necessarily wouldn't consider it "downgrade" from my POV, but I figured that some might :) Interesting, I really didn't think of having to zoom that often when using the rMini, but that is definitely something to consider. I also didn't consider the speakers.... definitely something to think about. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I purchased the ipad Air but needed another iPad to use in the field. I bought a mini but could not get used to the smaller screen. Returned the Mini and not own two Airs and have zero regrets. The additional size and weight were outweighed by the larger screen for me.

It is all about choice!

8. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I've upgraded from an Air to rMini. ;) As we all know they're really the same device minus the smaller screen. Funny thing is that smaller electronic things use to cost more. Now Apple decided they cost less. For the most part I'm really happy with my decision. It's much more ergonomic to hold and my hands never get tired holding it. It's perfect for reading a book or playing a game. When I'm surfing the web I sometime miss the larger format. But life's full of compromises.

9. chupachup macrumors 6502

I was sold with the size after buying the Mini 1 for the wife, but after really trying them side by side, for a laptop replacement, the Air is way better.

Especially since I'll be designing, Photoshop. And the Air screen has more color accuracy.

10. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Those of you that have used both, is there a considerable battery difference between the two?

11. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Actually I've been from iPad 1 to iPad Mini to iPad Air to iPad rMini. The main reason I returned to the rMini is that 75% of my iPad use is reading books and the mini is just a better form factor for reading than the Air. Having said that though, there are many times when I do miss the larger size. I am actually hoping Apple comes out with the rumored iPad Pro. If it comes out I will get it as a laptop substitute and keep my Mini for reading. Of everything I do on my Mac, there is only one app I couldn't do on an iPad and that's Quicken. And I am sure I could find a substitute for it that would run on an iPad.

12. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

The speakers on the retina mini are currently soft. While I use and prefer the mini, that is definitely a downside (one more important to me than the "gamut" issue).

This thread suggests it is a software bug that will be fixed in ios 8. I hope that turns out to be true. Even if it is fixed though, I"m not expecting the mini speakers to be as loud as the Air's.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1754822

13. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

It depends on what you want to primarily use the iPad for. I have both and think they are equal with the exception of the better color gamut of the Air (not an issue for me, but it is noticeable). I prefer the Air for home use because of the larger screen and it is lightweight and easy to hold. The rMini fits easily in my purse however and is the device that goes everywhere with me. I have no problem reading on the smaller screen and I'm a senior citizen. I do however use it for shorter periods when I'm out and the larger screen is definitely more comfortable. I prefer reading books on the mini because the text can be any size so there is no zooming necessary and it is very comfortable to hold for long periods. If I had to give up one it would be the Air because the portability of the mini would make it a better choice for me. I have a retina Macbook Pro which I use most of the time at home. As for battery life I haven't noticed much difference between the two. I get around 10 hours on both using about 60% brightness and primarily web surfing and e-mail.

14. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I appreciate your detailed post, thanks!

15. runningtowin macrumors member

I had both, for a week, so see which I liked better. Surprised I loved my original iPads so much - the rMini is a fantastic device. I love the size. Reading books is great and while PDF reading is *slightly* diminished, it's no real detriment.

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I never really considered the Air to be quite honest. The last iPad I had was the iPad 2, and I ultimately sold to a friend because I didn't use it as much. When the rMini was released, I immediately purchased it and still to this day, use it every single day. For me, it's a great compliment to my 5s.

17. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

There is no difference but I can tell.

18. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

19. TexasChemE thread starter macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I bought a rMini last night to try out during the two weeks I can return it. My initial impressions are that I really enjoy using the mini. I really like the small form factor, especially being able to hold it in one hand.

20. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Going from full size to the rMini I have found my iPad to be so much more useful. I tend to have it with me more often. I have used it much more for productivity areas for work. I still enjoy it for airplane movies etc. I used my son's iPad Air the other day and it felt huge. I think there are great uses for both, but this rMini is one of the most useful electronic devices I have ever owned. It is just a perfect form factor.

21. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Be sure to come back in a couple weeks and let us know the status

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

I upgraded from my ipad 1 to my ipad mini and i will never go back.

23. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Congratulations. While I use and love the retina mini, I've never owned an iPad Air and don't have much basis for comparing them. I hope you'll post your impressions after a couple of weeks.

24. llarc84 macrumors newbie

llarc84

To answer the OP's question, I have made the same switch but have gone back. Both devices are great, and I love how you can hold the rMini comfortably in one hand.

The part I didn't like was using the device to navigate certain websites and trying to input certain things like text or making a selection, and having it consistently choose the wrong selection over and over again. I have big hands, so it was a nightmare for me with the screen size. As a result, I went back to the Air.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Same here regarding the mistouches. My hands aren't overly large, but I have muscle coordination issues. With the Air, I am much more accurate at hitting touch targets than on a mini.

I also have bad eyesight, so some UI elements were harder to see on the mini.

My Mom came for a visit in March and took the mini home with her. She is loving it -- takes it with her when she goes out, while her Air stays at home. I sometimes miss the mini when I want to read an ebook at night, because the mini is easier to hold than the Air, but that's the only use case where I found the mini better than the Air. For all other uses, the Air is easier to see and to hit touch targets.