Has anyone managed to run 32bit Steam games in Catalina ?

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Is there any way to make them run able ?
I have Valdis Story but it won't run at all.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The fact there were so many MR members that expressed their happiness about the fact that Apple was dropping 32bit support still boggles my mind.....
I don't know if its good or bad, just that it does cut off a segment of apps/games that will no longer run

Norvak

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
New guy here. I have steam on my 2015 mbp 13 and haven’t had any issues running games in Catalina. It does give me the warning but the games play anyway.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
New guy here. I have steam on my 2015 mbp 13 and haven’t had any issues running games in Catalina. It does give me the warning but the games play anyway.
Some of them runs fine but may crash like in Dead Cells (I heard of it).
So it depends of which game you try to run.

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
Hello, a few days ago I ran (just to test performance), the CS GO on OS X Catalina with a Mac Mini, I don't know if the data is useful.

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
Is CS:GO a 64-bit game?
I can not confirm 100%, but I think that because of the age (+10 years) it has is a 32-bit game, it is more a legend that warns that maybe the game may not run, but still runs.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
You can run 32-bit in an emulator, like Fusion or Parallels.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Is there any way to make them run able ?
I have Valdis Story but it won't run at all.
Was there something you needed from Catalina that Mojave didn't have (i.e. why did you decide to upgrade) ?

The easiest option would be to run the Windows version of the game under bootcamp.

Another solution might be to install a bootable version of the previous OS onto an external drive and to boot off of the external drive.

A more complicated option (depending on if you have a time machine backup before you upgraded) would be to either restore or reinstall the previous operating system (don't try this unless you know what you are doing).
- - Post merged: - -

I can not confirm 100%, but I think that because of the age (+10 years) it has is a 32-bit game, it is more a legend that warns that maybe the game may not run, but still runs.
CS:GO was created in 2012 (8 years old) and was updated to 64 bit in 2016.

Last edited:

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Was there something you needed from Catalina that Mojave didn't have (i.e. why did you decide to upgrade) ?

The easiest option would be to run the Windows version of the game under bootcamp.

Another solution might be to install a bootable version of the previous OS onto an external drive and to boot off of the external drive.

A more complicated option (depending on if you have a time machine backup before you upgraded) would be to either restore or reinstall the previous operating system (don't try this unless you know what you are doing).
- - Post merged: - -

CS:GO was created in 2012 (8 years old) and was updated to 64 bit in 2016.
Well I already downgraded to Mojava because I got sick of this and because Catalina is unstable.

Mojava is more stable.

retta283

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
What really sucks is that they've removed a lot of 32-bit games from Steam and the MAS, leaving users of older systems out of luck. Some of those games are now lost to time unless existing owners can crack them.

BarbaricCo

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
CrossOver 19 can run most dx9 32bit Windows games directly in Catalina and they often run better than original Mac ports.
It has free trial

jeanlain

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Is suppose these games were not coded in 32 bits or that this was not under catalina, because there is no way to run a 32-bit app in catalina without some sort of emulation.

simonmet

macrumors 68020
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
The Steam warnings were generated en-masse so it's not at all clear from them whether the game is in fact compatible. Sometimes the system requirements can give you a clue: for example a game said it required a 64-bit processor and operating system; and that worked fine (despite the warning). Otherwise you can ask in the forums. It's best to have confirmation before buying anything.

Of course, many older games aren't compatible and simply won't ever be updated to 64-bit. It doesn't bother me because Bootcamp always was (and remains) the best solution for gaming on a Mac. I'm happy for macOS to be "cutting edge" and for Windows to keep long-running compatibility.