Has anyone noticed "burn in" after Mojave?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Sdtrent, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Sdtrent macrumors member

Sdtrent

Hey guys I have a 5k iMac and after running DB 2 of Mojave in dark mode, I've noticed a slight persistence on the Apple logo in the status bar when I switch to a full screen app. I can faintly see the apple logo and the text "safari" after it but thats it. I have been unable to get it to show up in a screen shot or screen recording, which is worrisome. I've also tried watching black videos to see if it shows up but I can't tell (which is a good thing :rolleyes:). But its definitely there when I run fullscreen apps.

I'm really hoping this is just a graphical glitch and it will be fixed in DB 3. Have any of you guys experienced the same thing or am I Just an isolated case?

2. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

This is image retention / image persistence, a hardware issue. It has nothing to do with Mojave.

My current Late 2015 5K iMac on High Sierra does this as well, but still not as badly as my old Late 2014 model. It seems to be extremely common for the 5K iMac's display to develop this issue over time.

3. Sdtrent thread starter macrumors member

Sdtrent

Dang really? I did not know that. ya I guess it makes sense, I usually keep this thing close to full brightness a lot. I just thought LCD's didn't experience burn in. Thank goodness its virtually unnoticeable when watching movies :)

4. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

"Burn in" is a permanent ghost image on the screen. Certain LCDs can experience this but it is very rare.

"Image persistence" is a temporary ghost image of what was just on the screen and fades away with use. This is much more common.

5. Sdtrent thread starter macrumors member

Sdtrent

Oh ok. I'm going to shut my Mac down for a bit and cross my fingers! Hopefully this is just temporary.

6. Sdtrent thread starter macrumors member

Sdtrent

Good news! After leaving my Mac off for about an hour its virtually gone now! Thanks!

7. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

You will likely see it come back with static elements that are left on the screen for a while, such as the menu bar or Safari toolbar. Since this is a hardware issue there is not much you can do about it, though depending on the severity Apple may be willing to replace your display for free if your iMac is still covered under AppleCare.

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

In a nutshell LCD crystals have to twist tight to block light. After being untwisted (allow bright white) for a long time they don't twist tightly at first almost like they are 'stretched'. It can take a little time and they 'tighten' back up. As redheeler stated this is image retention and NOT burn in.

9. Sdtrent thread starter macrumors member

Sdtrent

I've switched to using the light theme for now and the issue has completely gone away but your probably right. Even before Mojave I was using the dark status bar and have never noticed the issue, that's why I was thinking it was a Mojave problem but it may have been just the timing.

10. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

Use screensaver everytime you dont use the computer and you maby never see it again

11. cmaier macrumors G5

When I first got my tb mbp it did this big time. After a couple os updates it stopped.

12. michaelemery, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

michaelemery macrumors newbie

Yes! I have the LG 5K and only noticed this issue after upgrading to Mojave and using the dark wallpaper.

Whenever I close a window, its "ghost" remains for nearly a minute. It appears as a slightly pinkish glow where the bright parts of the window used to be. Darker parts of the window don't persist. Although the issue affects the whole screen, it is most prominent around the edges. This is probably why the menu bar is affected so much more.

Mojave was the first MacOS with a proper dark mode, which is why the issue only became noticeable after the upgrade. It is caused by the way the LG5K handles the sudden change from bright from dark pixels when a window is closed. The effect is temporary, and disappears in less than a minute.

Aside from aggravating my Obsessive Compulsive disposition, I am not too concerned about it.

13. JOSECBA macrumors member

JOSECBA

I have the same problem. Did any one fix this ???... I just called to apple and they told me that I need to leave my iMac in a Apple Service.

14. Ccaddictedapple macrumors newbie

Hello there, i have the same problem also, with iMac 27 5k late 2915, i suspect the issue is not the display, because i have an ultra fine LG 27 - 5k on external display, and the persistance/ghosting also appear on the external monitor. Any idea or new direction, thanks
    --- Post Merged, May 11, 2019 ---
    Oups, I meant late 2015

15. Tech198 macrumors G5

And we often here LCD will 'solve' these burn in problems, experienced from using CRT.. Reduced perhaps, but not illuminate..

There is still probably a reason why Apple still uses screensavers today for LCD displays even though they don't really have to. And its probably not just because you have something appealing to look at .

16. Quarantus macrumors newbie

Quarantus

Yes my screen suffer it since I update to Mojave 10.14.5, and luckily i have this image retention on the top menu bar... i’ve tried the screen saver and yadda yadda and bla bla bla, but after 15 minutes or more it comes back ... I never have this problem on my previous OS even its up for 30 hours or so...

17. oppastopa macrumors newbie

Worst thing about the 5k is that you always will have melting or smeared images all over for a bit