Has anyone noticed this re: rearranging icons manually on phone and through iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by STC, Dec 8, 2009.

1. STC macrumors 6502a

I have iTunes 9.0.2. I noticed this right now when I downloaded 2 apps via iTunes and did a sync. It put both new apps on the 2nd page (which it always had done).

I was playing w/ the phone and moved both apps manually on the phone to the 3rd and 4th pages. I rearranged both new apps within the 3rd and 4th page, then dl'd a another app via iTunes.

When I sync'd again, both the 2 previously dl'd apps that I arranged in a specific order had been moved to the last spots on the 3rd and 4th page.
    I did several manual moves on the phone and re-sync tests, each time it they were moved back to the last spots.

Anyone experience this?

2. fredf macrumors 6502

I used to re-arrange my apps via iTunes. But since the last update, after spending quite some time re-arranging all my apps in iTunes, when I synced the iphone settings overided the iTunes changes.
    I no longer use iTunes to re-arrange.
    Besides, it's not much faster on iTunes than just doing it on the phone.

Am I missing something or is iTunes very poor at re-arranging the icons?

3. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I find that arranging icons with iTunes is kind of clunky. I hate that when you drag an icon to a page that is already full, it creates a blank spot on each subsequent page and you have to fill it in manually. It's not like when you do it on the phone where it just pushes one icon to the next page, then that page has one icon pushed to the next page, etc. It makes it much harder.

4. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want the my rearrangement of the apps I do on the phone to stick, and be the default. Everytime I sync, iTunes rearranges the apps in an order I do not want.

5. lollicup macrumors regular

PROTIP: To make rearranging icons easier, make sure you have two open slots in your dock, this makes switching an app from one page to another a lot easier, without worrying about shifting the rest of your icons.

6. ktappe macrumors regular

ktappe

iPhone icon changes don't stick

If I move icons in iTunes, those changes get transferred to the iPhone. If I rearrange on the iPhone, those changes get lost when I sync. It is frustrating. :mad:

7. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

join the club. :rolleyes:

8. vlug macrumors 6502

Anyone found a fix to this? or way round it for the iPhone 4????

9. Droid13 macrumors regular

I don't think there is a fix

I have had apps do all kinds of things during syncing after rearranging them - they jump across pages, lose their icons, change their icons to those of a different app...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=765849

I think this app arranging and syncing lark is clunky, glitchy and needs a little work, maybe 4.0.1 (or whatever update comes next) fixes it.

Maybe.

10. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Itunes is buggy for doing that. I spent a good ammount of time rearranging everything through itunes on my new phone. First, everything undid and got scattered everywhere. The next time, icons started going missing on my phone so I had to restore.

Not doing that again.

11. vlug macrumors 6502

Anyone got any ideas on how to make the iPhone arrangement take precedence over the iTunes layout. :confused:

12. shl4tech macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem and would like to fix it before I get the new iPhone (supposedly Friday from Best Buy). Very frustrating!!