Has anyone pre-ordered 2 iPhones and then sold one of them?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sluggyman, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sluggyman macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering what your experiences are with pre-ordering 2 iPhones and then selling the other. I am buying the one defiantly but do you think that if I brought another it would be worth it? What sort of price do you think I could get for it on eBay? and do you think that they will sell out for ages like the rMBP did and so would people pay higher for one at the beginning if they failed to get one from apple?

Thanks

Sluggy

PS: most of that probably doesn't make sense so sorry :D

2. lazard macrumors 65816

yes, pre-ordered 6 4Ss (using different addresses). Sold 5 for 100% profit.

3. Liquinn Suspended

How do you make profit on them?

4. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Going by last year you can probably get around $700-800 for a 16GB iPhone "5" during the launch week on eBay.

The iPhone 4 was the last release where people were paying in excess of $1000 for one due to the shortages Apple had.

Assuming Apple manufactures enough devices (they probably will), prices on eBay will settle back down to the $600s range pretty quickly after launch for the 16GB model.

Also the AT&T models and usually the white models will be worth slightly more money.

5. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

As with what we saw with the iPad3 im sure there will be more than enough to go around at launch. Most people who arent using an upgrade will probably just end up buying the phone outright. To actually sell yours it will need to be priced $50 or so short of the retail price. Is this worth using the upgrade for? I personally wouldnt say so....

6. lazard macrumors 65816

yeah, it will probably be hard to make a profit now that Apple doesn't artificially create a shortage like the days of Jobs.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Another -"I do not get it"

Person A (you) buys a phone for $xxx.

Then wants to sell it for a profit to person B.

Why would person B not just buy it themselves?

I just do not get it.

Can some people buy a phone for less money than others?

8. zhandri macrumors 6502

no i guess he wants it to sell it to people that weren't fast enough to pre order on time and might have to wait 1 week.

9. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Anything to make a buck these days I suppose.

10. 725032 Guest

I dont think you'll be able to make a worth while profit anymore... Supply of ipad 3 was greater than demand. Quite a few people lost money trying the same thing then

11. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Isn't that called "scalping"? Oh well, I don't have much sympathy for people who pay $100 extra to have an iPhone a week early anyway.

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yea, I forget sometimes.

Some idiots will pay $100 to get something one week earlier. Idiots. Guess that is what makes the world go round.

13. troop231 macrumors 603

eBay's outrageous final value fees make selling stuff almost non-worthwhile for the hassle.

14. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Luckily, the person selling my '08 Mac Pro on eBay lived nearby and was willing to do a drop-off, cash-payment deal at a lower price and no shipping.

15. bkushner macrumors regular

I used to do this with unlocked canadian iphones but now so many countries have unlocked iphones and most shipping companies won't ship lithium battery products that it is too risky. The ebay fee took 50% of my profit as well and the Arabs buying my phones tried to scam me with supposed lost deliveries. Don't bother.

16. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

People seem to be getting more sane, the iPad 3 and iPhone 4S didn't sell for anything significantly hire when people tried to flip them on launch day. Probably not worth it, you can try if you want but there is a chance you will make a lose or just endup selling it at the price you bought it.