Has anyone purchased the rMB (retina 12" MacBook) with an education discount?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emilioestevez, Aug 30, 2015.

1. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Is the discount really a measly $50 off? I remember when I bought my mid-2010 13" MBP the education discount was -$100 + an iPod Touch. Now Apple includes Beats headphones. Are those worth anything? I couldn't care less about Beats headphones so if I went through with the purchase of the rMB I'd sell them to recoup some of the money spent.

Thank you for your time.

2. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I bought one through the edu discount, though I ended up returning it (decided to wait for next generation). Yes, it's only $50 off which is crap. It's because this device has a really high demand right now and inventories are extremely low so it doesn't really benefit them to discount it much.

As far as reselling the headphones, I think that's a good idea but I doubt you'll get much more than $100-120 for reselling.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

The discount is what ever is listed in the Apple Education Store. The Beats headphones are not part of the Education discount, they are part of the back to school promotion. Once the back to school promotion is over they will no longer be included with the purchase and you will just be left with the standard discount. I don't understand why someone would be ungrateful like this or feel entitled to receive more of a discount.

4. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Get a rMB at Best Buy with their student deal. $100 off!

5. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Yes, Best Buy is definitely the better deal since the computer is already discounted before the $100 off.

6. rob.james.arias macrumors regular

rob.james.arias

Here is the route I went, I purchased from the apple store during the tax free week in Florida. Paired it with the student discount and got the beats headphones. With my savings I paid the $100 to upgrade to the gold wireless headphones. Could not be happier with my choice.

The latest beta of El Cap today makes this machine night and day as well. I was content before, now I am happy. Even without the discount it is worth the asking price.