Has anyone seen Hidden Figures?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hidden Figures is a great movie showing how African American "computers" helped the space program in the race against the Russians. An illustration of how blacks were treated at the time seems otherworldly including separate bathrooms and people detesting even sharing anything with blacks. Truly disgusting behavior, but overall a great movie and a recommended watch for PRSI. Very similar to "42" but with a technology/mathematics slant, it's pretty crazy that a job relegated to women is now mostly male dominated.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

My understanding - and I might be completely wrong here - is that they weren't actually discriminated by other NASA employees, but by the law which imposed the separate restrooms etc.
    Not to diminish what they had to go through, it actually makes it worse because it was sanctioned by the law. They are heroes.

On a side note: yesterday was the fiftieth anniversary from the Apollo I tragedy :(

3. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The movie definitely goes over tearing down many of these barriers, but from the depiction of NASA employees it's still pretty bad, it's hard to understand how you treat fellow US citizens like this at the time.

I also noticed that black communities at the time seemed to be extremely religious, I'm not sure if that's the case anymore?

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Very much still the case today....
    http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/racial-and-ethnic-composition/

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Looking forward to seeing this. I love movies about smart people and slipsticks. My best, and I mean BEST mathematics teacher was a black gentlemen from Virginia. When he learned you calculus, you learned calculus.

6. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Don't you learn at school that the US practised racial segregation till very recently by historic terms? (like just one day after fighting racist Nazi-Germany, historically speaking). I am surprised you sound so astonished. Never heard of seperate seats in Buses and restaurants, or "for whites/blacks only" park benches? Never heard of Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King? - or am I not getting the point of your post.

7. jerwin, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017

jerwin macrumors 68000

The subtext of the movie is very much "math matters. race (and sex) shouldn't matter".

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...ppeal-of-math-in-an-age-of-inequality/513434/

Paul Stafford doesn't understand that. Al Harrison does. (Stafford is a composite of several figures, Harrison is largely based on a real NASA director-- Robert C Gilruth)

https://www.nasa.gov/modernfigures/faq

It's a good film.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Great movie. There are some books worthy of reading too about the players involved.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So this movie isn't about Trump's tax returns?

(Seriously, sounds good from the things I'm hearing.)

12. AsherN macrumors 6502

Great movie. And so is Fences. Powerful performances.

13. nfl46 macrumors 604

Yes, it was a great movie! I am so happy for Octavia for being nominated for an Oscar! You go, girl!

14. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Of course you learn this at school, it's still surprising to see it played out by great modern actors. Added that my generation didn't actually get to experience any of this.

Sheldon played a total ******* in this movie.

15. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Want to see it so bad! Too much happening now.
    I hope to on Tuesday (and La La Land)

And there is an Oscar Nominee for actress too.

16. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Ah, ok. I understand. (Just in case: I didn't mean to be mean. I later wondered, if it might come across like)

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It was a VERY good movie.
    Played to all emotions, and the 60's culture played out very well.

There was a few bits of over dramatization, but I am fine with that.

I hope it is inspiring for people everywhere, especially women and minorities (blacks)
    It is like Red Tails, I found the human drama was very compelling even though the action scenes where atrocious.

Sheldon (Jim Parsons) played the exact same character here as in Big Bang Theory.
    Aloof, nerdy, superior than thou, and seems a bit of a bigot.
    But Sheldon will also grudgingly admire other people skill and accomplishments.
    One of the themes of the movie is the misogynist culture (besides racism), and Jim (and others) did an effective job of potraying that stubborn refusal to change.

Advice:
    GO SEE THE MOVIE!

18. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Hollywood doesn't get a dime from me this year.

19. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Is there any reason why it should be seen on the big screen or can it wait for blu ray / streaming ?

I occasionally go to the movies but it's only for movies that need the big screen for visuals or sound.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I will be pirating Hidden Figures. Mainly because of the way they gave it so much exposer and white washed it.

http://www.eurweb.com/2017/02/hidde...ion-to-add-fictitious-white-savior-to-movie/#

But I gladly spent my money and bought the movie Birth Of A Nation, which wasn't white washed, and was damn near dismissed from getting exposer.

21. 5684697, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  22. Zenithal macrumors 601

I saw the trailer months ago but we never got around to watch it. May as well wait until it goes to stream.

23. 5684697 Suspended