Has anyone seen inside a 128gb SSD 2011 mbp? Still upgradable later? brand?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hoxley, Feb 27, 2011.

1. hoxley macrumors regular

With the 128Gb SSD such a cheap upgrade I am pretty tempted.

Has anyone yet bought one of these and opened up the case?

Is the 128 GB drive still 'user upgradable'? I can't see it not being, but that is a bit of an assumption to make.
    Anyone have confirmation of the brand, I have read speculation about Kingston, Samsung and Toshiba

I think with some creativity I can get by for a while with 128Gb, but it will need to be upgraded at some point.

- Hoxley.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It should be a normal 2.5" SATA drive. Can't see it being anything else as there is no slot for mSATA.

3. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

128GB SSD is a CTO option, and those don't start coming in until Wednesday. The SSD itself is considered "user upgradeable"

4. Tconroy135 macrumors newbie

Do the pre installed SSDs have the sand-force chip? Since OSX doesn't support TRIM yet I got one of the OCZ, they really do well with their own garbage collection.

5. hoxley thread starter macrumors regular

Will be interesting to see what they are, hopefully a Sata III but I doubt it, as long as it is upgradeable and they havn't done something dumb like put it on a Sata II bus. I think I will go for it.

"The SSD itself is considered "user upgradeable" - have you this on authority or it is an assumption?

6. starmelts macrumors newbie

I also wonder if the Apple SSD is SATA III. Anyone know?

I'm considering buying a MBP with the 7200 now, and add an SSD later, when the III's are out.

7. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Umm.. yes. Apple support docs say that the hard drive slot and the RAM slots can have any compatible device in them. Optical drive and battery are not supposed to be replaced.

More specifically however, AppleCare support does NOT want you complaining about a device that you replaced that wasn't supposed to. In other words, Apple is NOT at fault if you're laptop explodes if you use a 3rd party battery. However, they do not care for servicing an iMac's broken screen if you replaced the hard drive yourself with an SSD of some sort if the fault is with the part itself and not you breaking a ribbon cable (the iMac hard drive is technically not a "user-upgradeable" part)