Has anyone seen some of the newer phones at AT&T and Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am a proud iPhone 4 owner but I was at AT&T store yesterday.

I was looking at one of those new Android phones. I think it was an HTC 4G something or another.

The screen was huge. I mean HUGE.

But the phone still felt great in the hand. Didn't feel too big.

It was easier to type on, faster than my ip4, and honestly I'm really jealous.

Android looks way more complicated than iOS, but I'm sure if once you figure it out it's nice.

I still lovey my iPhone 4, I'm just amazed that better phones are coming out so quickly.

When I bought my ip4, I thought it would be the latest and greatest for +/- 5 years.

It was more like 5 months haha. Oh well.

And please don't start abusing on here this is just my opinion.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

Not abusing, just saying that rarely is an electronic product, especially a computer (which is what an iPhone essentially is) 'latest and greatest' for more than a 9-12 month period. Other companies improve their products, taking ideas from the 'hot' product, and hopefully the originator works on improvements to the original 'hot' item to make it even better and more marketable. I think Apple has done a great job of that, making some incredible updates each year for the last 3.

An example of doing it poorly: remember when RAZRs were all the rage? Motorola really, massively dropped the ball.

4. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Haha! We had 3 razrs!!!! Those things were the coolest things when it came out.

5. stev3n macrumors 6502

The RAZRs snapped in half so easily. :confused:

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

traded my 3GS for an Inspire 4G yesterday at Costco for $80. the prices seemed to be $50 or free for the no-flash android 2.1 phones and $100 or so for the 2.2 models.

set up was super easy thanks to HTC and no computer needed. even came with enought apps to make it useful. unlike the iphone where you have to hunt down apps right away to make it work.

other things are better on the iphone

i mostly got it because i don't want to pay $300 plus activation and tax for a phone anymore. the usability is about 90% the same between the cheap android phones and the iphone. i have 90 days to return or exchange it and if the Atrix drops to $100 or so then i'll buy it. i was thinking about it but glad i didn't. it's a little buggy and early adopters are already complaining about it

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

What apps do you have to "hunt down" right away to get the phone to work? Far as I can remember I activated my phone and was able to use it right away.

YOU needed to find the apps YOU wanted to get the phone to work how YOU wanted it..... saying you need to find apps to get the phone to work is pretty silly.

Bottom line, if you like another phone get it. If the iPhone isn't the latest and greatest then buy something that is (in your opinion).

8. elan123 macrumors 6502

yes indeed, I love my HTC EVO 4g

9. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

TS your talking about the HTC Inspire. It's a good phone but not that great it supports 4G HSPA+ but Att isn't allowing the phone to use HSPA+ yet

10. alent1234 macrumors 603

facebook, twitter, flickr and some other ones like for news all came pre-loaded on the phone. with the iphone you have to "buy" them. there was a bunch that came pre-loaded with only a few crap ware. also tried the web based android market and it was very cool installing apps without using the phone or itunes and syncing.

there is a list of things i don't like as well but i'll probably keep the phone and use my old 3GS as an ipod touch

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's not way more complicated. It is a bit different. Sometimes more powerful. Definitely more customizable, even down to what tool you want to use to pick out photos.

However, if you're already smart enough to figure out how to register and post on a forum, then you'll have little trouble figuring it out.

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

it works on HSPA+ but not on HSUPA which is the upload. even the new atrix is gimped with slow upload speeds. i think only the iphone 4 has HSUPA on AT&T now

13. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

So it's getting slow HSPA+ speeds as in 3G speeds?

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

the download is hspa+ which is a max of 42mbps or so but real world on at&t is around 2. the hsupa is 1mbps which is activated on the iphone 4. on the inspire 4G and atrix the phone only supports the older upload speed of 100kbps or so. the atrix should support hsupa, but at&T said not to enable it.

the way i see it is that only the people that play games will need dual core CPU's in their phones. just like with computers. with most people the free on 2 year contract android phone is more than good enough for what they plan to do with it

15. kevintech macrumors 6502

I'm jealous of the people who are going to get the HTC ThunderBolt 4G

16. alent1234 macrumors 603

There is no way ill spend that much.money on an Android phone. $150 max. $299 is iPhone 5 prices and Apple level support.

17. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

The setup on Android is nice if you already have an account for Gmail and Gvoice... just login and go. I've never had to connect my Nexus One to a computer. Everything after that with Android is pretty meh at best, but just adding decent media player capabilities and cleaning up that cesspool of an app store would go a long way to bridging the gap with iOS.

18. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

No need to, in 4 months after the release it'll either go to $99 or BOGO, just like all the other Android phones have.

19. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Atrix 4g is $129 at Walmart :)

Not that I would get it over the iPhone. But still the best Android phone to date & only $129 is pretty insane :eek:

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There are a lot of nice phones coming out. I really like the Inspire, Thunderbolt, Incredible S, etc.

21. camfunction macrumors member

Every android phone I've ever used has had crappier touchscreen response for typing...

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Like it or not Apple has phones AND tables getting ready to give them a run for their money! I like my iP4, too, but there is some really great stuff heading our way and I am not so stupid to not look and change if I want!

I am tired of Jobs keeping me tied to iTunes. I want to do what I want and not what Steve will let me do!

23. drbob20 macrumors member

So get a Droid then, problem solved.

24. camfunction macrumors member

I still don't get all the iTunes hate. Everyone talks about how slow it is etc...

I never have problems with iTunes.

25. jacollins macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, there's NO phone that's the "latest and greatest" for 1 year, much less 5 years... For a while there last year, Android was changing monthly, with the new "latest and greatest".