Has anyone sold old iPhone on Gazelle? Are they paying what they promised?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jul 4, 2010.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

It seems by all accounts Gazelle.com is a trouble-free way to sell your old iPhone.
    Sure you can get more on ebay or craigslist, but gazelle makes it so easy that it may be worth it for some.

They offered me $123 for my iPhone 3G 8GB. I have to send it back within the next few days or the offer expires.

As it was unlocked/jailbroken, I could have gotten something more elsewhere, but there is a glut of these on the market now, so I just want to sell it fast.

Anyway, here is the question for those who have used this service.

Did Gazelle pay you what they promised or did they find a way to reduce their offer after they received your iPhone, claiming it isn't in the condition you reported?

Thanks.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Last year Gazelle gave me the full quoted price for two 1st gens. I just got confirmation that they received my two 3GSes. I fully expect the transaction to go just as smooth.

3. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

you can easily get $250 or maybe more for a fully functional 3G 8GB on ebay.

4. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I don't know about $250 but you can certainly get more than on Gazelle or any other of these buy-back sites.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Absolutely, but don't underestimate how easy these sites are. I locked in my 3GS rate the day the iPhone 4 was announced. They sent me a box and paid for shipping. Very low hassle.

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Yea I agree but convenience is about the only thing they have going for them. I'd rather take an extra $100 for dealing with eBay, PayPal and waiting 5 days for the auction to end. But absolutely, to each their own.

7. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

You want to buy my iPhone for more than what gazelle is paying and then you can flip it on ebay and make a profit?
    :)

8. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Sure. My offer: Gazelle price + $1. :D

9. applephysci macrumors regular

My offer: Gazelle price + $2

10. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

11. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Try locally on craigslist too before you go on eBay but unless you have a ton of disposable income I wouldn't sell to Gazelle.

12. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

describe condition of the phone and i may just buy it off you

13. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

I have to agree with the folks mentioning eBay. I just sold my 2G 4GB iPhone for $135 on eBay. I used the new eBay selling app, took 1 picture and setup a 3 day auction. Took me all of 10 minutes to get it posted. I fully expect to get well over $200 for each of the 2 3GS iPhones I have.

14. muddy cleats macrumors member

muddy cleats

Gazelle is awesome. They quoted me $272 for my 32g 3GS. 3 Days later their quote price on the site dropped to $200. I was fearing they would drop their offer or somehow lower their appraisal to bring my quote into line with their current offers but they did not. The paid me full price and while I was at it I threw three or 4 older aged devices in the box and got enough to evenly swap my 3GS 32g for a 32g iphone4...
    can you make more.. sure if you want to ebay, I'm not an ebay person and I think craigslist is just a means to alert potential crooks to my home so I prefer the ease and security of just selling to Gazelle.com

15. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I locked in a price of $299.20 for my iPhone 3GS (32gb) at gazelle shorly after the iPhone 4 was announced. But I waited to ship it until my iPhone 4 arrived. During that wait, a glut of used iPhones hit eBay and other sites and drove prices down a bit. When I finally shipped the 3GS to gazelle, the average price (on eBay) had fallen to about $350. After eBay and PayPal fees, I wouldn't have netted that much more than my locked in price at gazelle.

Gazelle acknowledged receipt of my 3GS on Friday. I expect to hear from them regarding their final determination on Tuesday. I, too, am a little concerened that they will offer lower price and use "condition" as the excuse. We'll see.

Mark

16. muddy cleats macrumors member

muddy cleats

if your still within the time period for their offers validity I would expect them to honor it. if your offer has expired expect the current going listed price on their site.

17. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I just got 250 for my 3G. Now let me be perfectly honest here. It had just been replaced under AppleCare 2 days prior so it was immaculate, it had AppleCare until 2/2011 and I threw in my otterbox to sweeten the deal. So, $250 is possible under the right circumstances.

18. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

mint condition 3GS 16GB unlocked can go for about 400$. Im guessing a decent condition 3GS will sell for about 300$.

19. MENEGRANDE macrumors newbie

what condition is your phone?/ my 3gs just took a dump, and the 3g i had won't charge :(

20. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

This is helpful information.

I have a 6 month old 16gb 3GS I'm going to sell. It is in pristine condition. Always kept in a case. Someone I know is going to jb it for me so i can sell it for more. He suggests craigslist. I've always sold things on ebay and have had good success.

I'm just trying to figure what my best option is. Any suggestions would be great!

21. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

3 day auction is even better.

22. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I assessed my 3GS on gazelle in perfect condition, and was prepared for them to knock it down to just Good condition. But they didn't and they paid me full. They e even bee known to pay more if you under-assessed the condition.

I made enough to buy the iPhone 4, that's all I was concerned with - plus having done bay and CL before, I took the path of least resistance.

23. creeman macrumors 6502

I just calculated how much they would give me for my iPhone 3GS. $168. I just sold my iPhone on eBay for $360.

24. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

You did pretty good. So what is the Net after you take out listing fee, ebay percentage, pay pal percentage and shipping?

I got $304 for the 3GS 32' but I started it vetoer the presale. Gazelles offers have dropped quite a bit since the iPhone 4 launch.

Edit: plus I was without an ihpne for about a week, but I had a backup phone that I popped the SIM into.

25. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

No. They reduced their locked-in offer by $32. The form said it wasn't the condition I stated. My phone was about a year old and in a case the entire time with a protective film on the front. There wasn't a scratch on it. It was in perfect condition (and I also had Apple check it out first).

The system has no way you can ask a question or discuss this. It is either take it or leave it. At this late date I didn't want to have it shipped back and then sell it, so I did what most people probably do and accept the new lower amount.

On top of it, after I accepted this new amount, they sent an email saying it would be 14 days before they even cut the check. Originally the site said after 7 days you would get paid. I'll report back once I actually get my payment.