Has anyone sold their point and shoot camera after seeing how good the Ip5 camera is?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Siciliano611, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Siciliano611 macrumors regular

Bought a Lumix ZS7 used a couple months ago and now am rethinking buying it since the iphone 5 camera for MOST situations is almost comparable. Obviously the lumix has a better flash and better low light capabilities, but I wonder if it's worth it to make back the $150 I boguht it for....

2. 617aircav Suspended

It cant replace a point and shoot camera, no phone out there can.

3. albert1028 macrumors 6502

This is debatable. A camera is an extra device. The iPhone you are more apt to have it on your persons most of the time when compared to the P&S.

Like they say "The best camera is the one that is with you"

I like to think that by that logic that if you carry a point and shoot camera, might as well carry a D800 or 5DMKIII, since it's an extra device and size at that point does not matter as much. This has always been my opinion.

4. JS3 macrumors regular

I havent but when I go through my DSLR pics and my iphone pics I seem to pull the iphone pics to send out to people.

The Best camera is the one you have with you. Which usually is your phone.

5. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Its not just image quality that a seperate point and shoot is good for, but for battery life as well.

This also applies to gaming IMO, YES the iPhone 5 is a very capable portal gaming console, but what good is it if its flat after playing an hour of a racing game?

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Apparently you haven't read this thread yet have you?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1455399

7. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Besides my phone, I only have a DSLR and there is no way in **** I am replacing my DSLR with the phone. :D Phone goes everywhere with me and shoots more pictures, but, DSLR goes with me to special events, gatherings, trips, etc.

8. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I think they can all fit specific situations.

I agree that in most situations, which are spontaneous, the iPhone could be the camera of choice.

However, if you want "better" pictures, a point and shoot may be the better choice.

If you want the BEST pictures that you can get (subjective and varies from user to user), then a DSLR would be the choice.

My iPhone 5 is my day to day device that I always have with me. However, 80-90% of the time I have my messenger bag with me since I keep my iPad in it. I also have my Panasonic ZS20 which I always have in my bag. When I know the situation will warrant it, I bring my DSLR to the occasion/event. I guess if you had to get rid of one of the three, the P&S would be the logical choice. However, I would not give it up.

9. meistervu, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

meistervu macrumors 65816

It is either DSLR or iPhone 5 camera for me

I do own a nice DSLR with a few really good lenses. For snap shots, I don't bother with my DSLR anymore. The image quality of the iPhone 5 with basic photo techniques is great. It's much better than point and shoot camera not so long ago. The shooting speed of the iPhone 5 eliminate my last major complain (I had an iPhone 4 before this upgrade and it was slow).

The thread about purple fringing that someone included is funny to read. Yes, it's a problem that affects many expensive camera lenses that are much bulkier (think of 4 to 12 inch long). As a matter of fact most lenses tests devote a section to the problem or lack of it. To expect Apple to be able to engineer the iPhone 5 camera lenses which is a few milmeter long to completely eliminate purple fringing is ludicrous. So what is a camera user to do? Well, you understand the limitation of you equipment, whether it's a $5000 DSLR with a $2000 lenses, or in this case a $700 phone (real cost, unsubsidized), and avoid or reduce the problem. But at times, the problem is unavoidable, so you do the best you can, knowing that a good composition is priceless regardless of other downfalls.

Yes, to me the iPhone 5 is good enough for excellent shots in many situations. The limitation is more likely the operator.

10. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Havent sold my camera but since getting the iPhone5, I have not picked up the camera. The very best camera that you can own is the one in your pocket when you need it.

11. appswipe macrumors 6502

I have kids so having a GREAT iPhone camera is something I've always wished for. And so far that hasnt happened.

Yes, the iPhone takes some nice photos in perfect lighting with subjects that stand perfectly still. As much as people love to brag about the colors popping off this amazingly boring photo of a flower, most crappy cameras can take a similar quality shot because its not a complicated subject.

But when it comes to realistic photo scenarios (Kids, Groups, Distance, Food) then most of the time youre taking photos of real life people who dont stand still while indoors OR a low light shot of your steak. And the results are rarely impressive. So (IMO) the iPhone is a great phone camera but it requires far to many situational requirements to be considered "awesome". So I'll stick to my DSLR for shots I care about and the iPhone for things that dont matter.

That said, I cant believe how well Panorama works. It's totally a novelty but the seamlessness is pretty impressive.

12. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

samsung galaxy cam can do it.

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Frankly, I can't bring myself to spend $300-$400 on a point-and-shoot after seeing the iPhone 5's camera. The difference isn't that big. Only true photographers need a dedicated DSLR these days, and I'm still considering purchasing one when prices are right on higher-end models.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Exactly. It has replaced point and shoot camera long time ago. DSLR is still better for dedicated events.

15. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Why are DSLRs even mentioned in this thread? The topic clearly says P&S, not DSLRs. :rolleyes:

I don't have a P&S. So I suppose my phone is my P&S. And I keep my old but trusty *DSLR* omg omg :rolleyes: at home, unless it's a special event.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We're trying to say it can replace P&S but not DSLRs for the time being.

17. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

That should never, ever even be an argument. DSLRs will NEVER be replaced by a phone. 500mm telephoto picture quality in a phone? Don't make me laugh :)

on the other hand, a phone replacing a p&s is indeed very likely. Why not, right?

18. meistervu macrumors 65816

I have a kid too...

The speed of the iPhone 5 makes a huge difference. Before with an iPhone 4 I would have to use my brain more to get good photos. For example taking photo of a kid on a swing, you would wait until the swing reaches its highest point when you take the photo because you know you have the most static time there.

Sure, a DSLR with 8 shots per second will do a much better job, if you have it with you at the time. But I now enjoy the freedom of not carrying a DSLR with me. Mind you, it's not just the camera body, but the choice of several excellent lenses each of which has its own merit: 17-40mm f/4, 50mm f/1.4, 24-104mm f/4 IS, 135mm f/2, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. For special occasions, then yes the DSLR justify. The problem is, life is what going on everyday whether or not there is a "special occasion" and by limiting my photography to just "special occasions" I would miss a lot. On the other hand, I don't want to look like I work for a newspaper all the time and constantly have 8 lbs of camera equipment on me.

So the iPhone 5 it is most of the time, and it's more than good enough for me.

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

Invariably, the phone hampers getting a decent shot unless ambient light conditions are just so and the subject is at a midrange distance. Many people today preferring phone photography accept crap images because they don't know any better or couldn't care less, so long as there's some resemblance to what they saw. They don't care if its blurry, too dark, blown-out, with lens geometry that causes bulbous noses in close-ups, or a lack of zoom capturing distant objects that are uselessly too tiny to see.

I bring a point and shoot because I know what I can do with it. Part of photography is having controls to account for the times when lighting, conditions, and scenes will fool any camera. And part of photography is making decisions that break certain rules in the name of creativity. Similar to a man driving stick who knows how he can make a car perform under challenging conditions. Accumulated knowledge is fun in the acquisition and practice of it.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, but this thread is like 1-2 years too late. 4S's camera is already good enough to replace P&S.

I'm surprised people are still buying P&S anymore. The step up is obviously DSLR.

22. 617aircav Suspended

Not everyone needs a dslr, I don't.

----------

Good points.

23. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

24. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

10x optical zoom, which will never make it to the iPhone, is the only way I would consider it.

25. meistervu macrumors 65816

Because many people use their DSLR as P&S

Not to be a photography snob, but I bet that more than 80% of people who use DSLR most of the time shoot with the result that can be easily achieved with a P&S.