Has anyone successfully negotiated rent price at an apartment

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gator24765, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

So I am in the process of looking for a new 1 bedroom apartment. As I am looking, I was wondering if it was possible at all to try an negotiate a lower rent price. I'm not asking for much but even $50 off a month..

Has anyone Successfully done this? If so, how much did you negotiate down and how did you do it?

2. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

It never hurts to ask!

----------

Hey, whats up with the generating income from home link?

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I have, knocked off $100 per month on the condo im renting right now.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good luck with that! I've never known anyone who could pull this off unless they were offering a service along with it.

5. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Your right, it never hurts to ask. I have never tried this before and was interested in seeing the results and strategies.

Who knows...

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Its normal here in Toronto, atleast my part of town. :confused:

Its putting up an offer, they either say yay or nay.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Never hurts to ask. Now the cases where friends and I have been able to do it was when we were renewing our lease and in that case it we were only going to match the deal they were offering to new residents. It always annoyed me that they would try to raise the price every year while the online price was cheaper. Heck on friend she was able to reduce her rent by around 100 a month doing that plus get like a 1/2 one months rent.
    The argument to make there is if you move out they have loss of income between you leaving and new person moving in plus cost of prepping it for a new person and they still have to offer the deal. They tend to agree really fast after that.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If there are a lot of vacancies in your area, you'll likely be successful asking for a lower rent. If not, good luck with that. I was never able to get a lower rent when I rented in NY.

9. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I worked for short while for a property manager and people aleays tried to negotiate the rent. it never worked because there was always somebody else willing to pay what we wanted.

You can only try, though. Like someone said, it depends on the local vacancy rate. Good luck.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I take it the only time you all gave on it was on renewals and even then it was people just asking you to match the new resident price.

11. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Bummer. how about when moving into a brand new apartment complex.. any one had luck?

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Credit decent, reasonable income, some savings? Consider this the home buying opportunity of a lifetime.

13. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

This is true. I am a graduate student and plan on moving out of this city once I am done so I am not looking for a house..

I have great credit and rental history..