Has anyone switched from the MacBook Pro Retina over to the MacBook and what was your experience?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hieveryone, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'm assuming your talking about rmbp to rMB

Pro's - weight saving all day long

Cons - to me none for others lack of ports

Now let me be clear on the lack of ports. For me it's a portable device so one port does not fuss me I never plug anything in on the go airdrop works nice and my slr has a wifi card in it. When home I have the hdmi/USB dongle that is hooked up to a USB hub for bits and bobs but it's one cable that I plug in not a spider like with my rmbp.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Cool. Do you charge every night? And does it last all day like most people's iPhones/iPads?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I don't charge every night unless I've got a heavy workload but it does last all day

5. sakabaro macrumors regular

Pros:
    - Better screen in my opinion
    - Looks very slick
    - No-brainer when traveling

Cons:
    - Small screen
    - CPU performance very sluggish
    - Sharp edge, can hurt or be uncomfortable sometimes

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Is the CPU really that sluggish? I've head it's fine for excel, Internet, etc.

I was concerned about the small screen. Is it still small to read on even when you maximize safari?

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There is no issue with the cpu for general day to day work

8. johny979 macrumors regular

johny979

I switched one week ago and no issues
    I work in press and I don´t have any problem with Word, quarkxpress, photoshop, imovie, safari...
    Everything works great, but it is true that you lose ports, but I bought Apple HUB and problem fixed

As portable is perfect, I prefeer than the rMBP

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Just spent a month in Vietnam on a heavy engineering project, typically I use 13" or 15" Retina MacBook Pro`s. The Retina MacBook was very much pushed to it`s limits, equally the MacBook got the job done without any drama, running on battery during the day, recharging at night while in use. I never found myself concerned about the Macbook`s ability to get through the day on battery. For some CPU intensive tasks the Core M lagged, equally I deliberately opted for portability over performance for this trip knowing the rMB would be adequate, albeit slower than the 13" & 15" rMBP`s

Positives are clear class leading portability

Downsides are heavily dependant on usage/workflow, outside of the physical smaller display. So in many respects it`s difficult to state with any level of accuracy. For the most part unless you have extreme needs or want to game the Retina MacBook gets the job done. The single port may be an issue to some, for me it presents few if any barriers as I have a USB C, USB A combined flash drive and adaptors. If I required a host of USB peripherals hanging off the notebook I would have used one of my rMBP`s.

Q-6

10. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I did.
    Cons:
    It's noticeably slower.
    Has inferior keyboard.
    A little less battery life.

Pros:
    Much lighter.

11. johny979 macrumors regular

johny979

The keyboard for me is better, I preffer type in rMb

12. WalterSobchak, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

WalterSobchak macrumors newbie

WalterSobchak

I much prefer the form, weight, and keyboard of the rMB.

i used a 2015 rMBP until i acquired the rMB from best buy at an attractive price. The rMBP went to the wife to replace her SP3. At any rate, i have been using the rMB for the past two weeks or so with almost no drop-off in productivity and efficiency.

Last evening i went to grab the rMBP to perform a quick task as it was close to hand. The difference was laughable to me in regards to the ease of picking up and transporting vs the rMB. For day to day mobility and even casual use it has become quite apparent that I simply cannot go back to anything larger and heavier. The rMB as it is currently is perfectly suited to my needs. I don't need the extra power, the extra connectivity, and the extra weight.

I am completely wireless and prefer comfort and mobility to power and ports. Your use may differ and make sure your tasking will be fulfilled with the rMB. You may find that once you become accustomed to the weight and mobility of the rMB you won't desire to go back.

13. FilmIndustryGuy macrumors member

I originally thought The 12 inch was funny and didn't even bother to play with it at the apple store. I recently bought one cause my 15 inch retina pro was getting batteries replaced at apple and I needed a temporary laptop so gave it a try. Well I immediately preferred the new keyboard and trackpad. I mostly use a bunch of writing apps and getting definitions with hard press is awesome. I decided to keep the 12 and give my 15 pro to a sibling but only because i also use a 34 inch curved ultra wide monitor that usually sits above the 12 inch. This way i have s screen in front of me and a few docs open in front of my face horizontally. I have this setup on my treadmill desk in order to stay healthy as i work. Yes I'm fit and workout daily but I find sitting on chairs gives me sciatic nerve issues so i have to move around for health reasons.

Now picking up the 15 RMBP feels big and premium. The keyboard on my 2012 rMBP 15 feels sloppy after using the 12 inch. I don't care for the ports and my 34 inch screen performs well with the 12 incher. I see not much difference in speeds since i don't use hardcore apps. That being said, the portability for me outweighs the screen size and ports because I have the extra screen when I need it. If you don't have a nice extra screen for more productivity, Id say go get the 15 inch. Its a great laptop except now i can't live without the new keys and pad. I have no idea why people are crazy over the old keys. They are so sloppy and noisy.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Made the switch and I could never go back. There is a very slight difference in performance in day to day task, but nothing that is going to be a deal breaker. For example, resizing windows has a little more UI lag than the rMBP (small things like that). Unlike a lot of people, I really like the single port. I only have to plug 1 single cable into my mac at work to dock.

Pros:
    Small form factor/light
    beautiful screen
    excellent keyboard (once adjusted)
    single port

Cons:
    Cannot handle the larger task as efficiently
    Smaller screen (1" does matter slightly)
    Delicate

15. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I should've mentioned even though the rMB has a few shortcomings, no way would I go back to the Pro. I love the size and portability.

16. Glockworkorange macrumors regular

Glockworkorange

For Office/iWork, mail, internet browsing and media consumption it's fine. Zero performance issues. I've had zero issues with readability on the machine.

17. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

My concern is ports. I do use HDMI, USB, SD card, and headphone jack often enough to wear I might miss it.

Which adapters would y'all recommend?

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Headphone jack is already built in, on the right hand side.
    For the others, I've seen some good review of this hub: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019R9ILTG

If you're looking to have a dock headphone jack, I think the OWC upcoming unit will do that.

19. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I went from a 13" rMBP 2012 model to the new MB 12" and haven't looked back. Everything I actually do these days performs as well as it did on the rMBP because they aren't intensive applications. Even Sibelius, my music engraving software, works just fine albeit some functions are a little slower, but then so am I! :)

The lack of ports isn't an issue for me as I'm all wireless and have been for quite some time. And these days most of my computer use is while sitting in my recliner, so the small size and light weight are big pluses. And the screen just isn't an issue for me, even at 72 I don't find it hard to read at all.

If I was big into video/photo editing, then it wouldn't be the right machine.