Has Anyone switched from verizon to AT&T recently?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by on the fly, Oct 22, 2008.

1. on the fly macrumors newbie

I was wondering about canceling my verizon contract to switch to AT&T and get an iphone. My question is: Has anyone canceled their ver. contract due to increased fees(in the past 60 days), therefore eliminating the ETF? My problem is I cannot find any increased fees on my bill over the past 2 months. I am REALLY jonesing for an iphone. Thanks

2. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I read several threads that stated you could cancel several ways with minimal impact to your finances:

1. cancel the contract when the fees are increased (and eliminate the ETF)

2. cancel the contract when its close to expiring. You'd still have to pay a percentage of the ETF though, but the closer you are to the expiration date, the less your ETF will be.

3. on the fly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,
    Yes I'm aware of these two options. What I'm wondering is if anyone has found price increases and canceled their contract due to these increases, in the past TWO months.

4. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

You should be aware that seeking this particular exemption when you have not personally had a fee increase is probably an act of fraud.

5. on the fly thread starter macrumors newbie

For crying out loud!!!
    I am aware of all the obvious conditions! Isn't it obvious that if a price increase did not affect my account, than verizon would not let me out of my contract?! If you do not have an answer to my question DO NOT REPLY.

6. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Verizon just recently increased their price for text messaging I believe. Try that route.

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

8. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i just did. they charged me the ETF but it is so minimal i didn't care. i am basically done with my contract with VZW.

I have had friends try to get out using the increased txt msg price but no go. their accounts got noted that they were demanding to be released from contract free of charge and how many times they attempted to dispute it. they were all told to write a written letter of complaint for review. one friend did that and he hasn't heard back yet.

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Haven't read any lately, but keep your eyes peeled. Boy Genius Report, Engadget, etc usually will give you a heads up if there's a rate increase that can lead to breaking a contract.

Keep in mind there was a threat against the big four recently by a congressman, they are all going to be under investigation for jacking up text message rates basically in unison. Only reason this matters to you: they may not want to raise rates for fear of looking worse/incurring more fines if the investigation goes forward.

10. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

This is when I wish I visited this site more. In early September I canceled my contract with vzw and came to at&t, I had no idea you could get out from increase fee's on their end. My final bill with vzw was 231 bucks:eek:, and that was with a 19% employee discount...then came the at&T bill and I forgot to be expecting the activation fee and then the peroration from half of the month in August...needless to say, I was wondering how much I really wanted the iPhone when both of these came,lol...:rolleyes:

11. iiqwertyii macrumors newbie

I got out of my ETF back in August. I had four total phones on my family plan with a combined ETF of $520, but they let me out of my contract without any ETF because of some minuscule increase in my bill. At first they were a little hesitant but one of the customer service reps told me that she would speak with the legal dept and get back to me. She never did speak with the legal dept. Instead she called me back a day later and told me that it was approved by the supervisor that she spoke with so I didn't have to wait till July '09 to cancel my Verizon contract. It takes some persistence but it does work if you're polite with them. Honestly, I would have stuck with my contract if they continued to say no, but they allowed it. I gave it a try and it worked.

12. mets1125 macrumors regular

I hink it was too late for that also.. I think once you pay the new fee you accept the charge increase and really can not cancel your contract because of it

13. Naples1381 macrumors newbie

I switched in late September. The real problem with VZW was the poor signal at home, 1 bar - maybe. I knew that AT&T signal was better but could not find a way out of the VZW contract until my son (he really wanted an iPhone) contacted VZW on his account and VZW sent out a tech who rated our VZW cell service as marginal. There is statement in the contract that says if VZW can't service you with a reasonable signal you cant take your number and go, no fees or early termination costs. I had to get VZW to put this info in my account from my son's account and from then on it was no problem. Went to the AT&T store and bought two 3G's - 16GB. Last VZW bill did not include any term fees etc.

When I was buying the iPhones, the AT&T folks said the VZW server that ports the numbers was slow and incoming calls might not work until the next morning (it was 8PM when I bought them). The incoming calls were ok by 9:30P.

All things considered, a reasonable experience.

I have found the 3G network fine in both Eastern Massachusetts and SouthWest Florida.