Has anyone switched the brand of phone they use based on opinions from posts in this forum?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HEK, Nov 26, 2015.

1. HEK, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Curiosity has gotten the better of me and I am wondering if anyone switched from Apple iPhone to android/Samsung or switched from Samsung to Apple iPhone based on what people on here have posted. I am curious if what appears to be 50% or more of the posts and threads on here have any use at all, or are simply people patting themselves on the back for their wonderful choice of phone.

I request not to see any reasons why, or start up any partisan bickering about your opinion regarding your phone being better and others being worse. In an effort to keep it simple I request no response if you have not been persuaded to change. If however you found the arguments here convincing and have changed you type of phone, please respond with a "YES" and what you switched from and to.

This should easily provide us all with accurate numbers by looking at total number of readers of this thread vs responders which should be only those that have switched. I thank you all for for attention.

----------------------------------------------
    I bring to a close my thread initiated to explore a question of how persuasive "strong advocates" for any given phone/manufacturer are in swaying forum participants to switch to the platform they advocate.

I have been an infrequent thread starter, but a moderate thread participant for the last couple of years, and while not alway right, and not alway politically correct, I have at least garnered near 50% likes to posts I have made. So at least half the readers of my posts find a small bit of value in my thoughts and opinions and I hope, humor.

During this time I, as I'm sure many of you have, noted the strong zealot like posts advocating or denouncing one phone or another. This often becomes so heated that all manner of polite discourse is abandoned. Given this almost religious zeal and oft times numerous factoids, examples, experiences presented, a question came to mind. How effective have the crusaders been in changing people's minds to switch phones.

The shear amount of posts, time, energy, religious fervor these missionaries have spent, has it born any fruit? Or were they basically talking to themselves and their fellow missionaries.

You can review for yourself what transpired in less than 24 hours. And here are my conclusions. I seek to persuade no one, and do not require your agreement or disagreement. I am sure you will comment in any case.

1. I uncovered no evidence that anyone either, has been persuaded to switch, or is willing to admit they have switch based on what they read in this forum.
    2. It's impossible to determine causality for this, but something as benign as what phone you use seems to stir a passion usually seen in religions.
    3. While the vast majority of readers respected my request for no comments. And I thank them for that respect. A vocal minority would not or could not refrain from making comments.
    4. This point was noted by "C DM" who even suspected that my goal was to demonstrate something other than my stated question. While it was not my hidden goal, often times research can reveal effects not anticipated. Excerpts; "how quickly and how many people would take a supposedly simple thread like this and go off on something one way or another--basically trying to draw some conclusion about the users and their treatment of certain subjects, rather than the actual posed question." Thank you C DM for your lucid observation.
    5. To close, in about 18 hours, over 750 people have viewed the thread and not a single person responded that preaching by anyone in this forum caused them to convert.

I undertook this for my own curiosity and education. My hypothesis that no amount of preaching on this forum will convert anyone to change there phone has been validated to my satisfaction.

I post this at the lead and my final post for this thread, thank you all for participating.

2. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

So far the tally in about twelve hours is 164 NO - were not convinced to switch. And zero switchers. So far at least strong opinions one way or another have not convinced anyone to change. Let's keep watching the results.

3. Ternary macrumors regular

You realize how much margin of error this study has, right?
    • Some of the viewers could be guests, who cannot or don't want to make an account to reply.
    • Even if someone does have an account, they may just want to lurk, not reply. For them, it's wrong to assume their answer is NO.
    • A single user can view this topic more than once. So even if someone made the effort to post YES and went back to the topic to see further replies, they would unintentionally add an additional NO vote.
    A poll would have been a much better approach.

4. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

This is by no means a scientific study. Never was intended to be. The poll is not accurate or scientific either, and has a huge margin of error by asking question only once, one way. For my purposes, the accuracy of my methodology is sufficient to have my hypothesis answered. I can easily subtract the few posts like this one that would skew my data.

This topic has already raised the scrutiny of certain parties I am not allowed to mention. I am amazed at the sensitivity this simple question has raised to date. With the amount of none sense posts, obvious click bait threads, and zealot opinions I am surprised you pick my post to comment on regarding accuracy and errors.

I thank you for your concern, and generally agree with your overall premise that this poll is not overly accurate. But it is serving the purpose I intended for it. Further conclusions to follow.

5. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

No disrespect to anyone in this forum, but no. I go by carrier and brand through experience. I've tried flip phones and always come back to the iPhone. Yes, I am entrenched in Apple's ecosystem, but most importantly, the phone is a cinch to use.

And with the great battery life and better screen of the + sized phone, that made this a no brainer.

Android is an absolute no here. I am glad their platform works for so many people, but right now I need simple and what I know.

6. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

Ok so your answer is no, and I can subtract this post from the "yes I switched column". I guess asking for no answers not to respond with their opinions and reasons wasn't quite clear in my original post. I will endeavor to make myself more clear in future.

I don't want a debate on the rights or wrongs of why you did or didn't switch. I simply want to know if anyone has been persuaded to change based on what they read in this forum. No rancor, no judgments, just a simple yes or no answer. Thanks

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Some people have really too much time on their hands :D

8. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

Thanks for your opinion, I and the rest of the forum members are relieved to know what you think about our time management. Oh, by the way what are you doing with your time? Besides reading and commenting on this forum I mean. ;)

Putting you in the no column, unless you advise you changed phones.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If you want it simple why don't you just add a Yes or No poll to the first post?

10. sirghost macrumors member

I'm choosing to not answer one way or the other if I have switched to and from android to apple or the other way around.

11. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

Exactly how would that stop people from making comments when specifically asked not to.

I am finding this thread in the modified form from what I originally intended is extremely effective in answering my original question.

Hundreds have read this thread in less than 24 hours and so far no one has said they were swayed to change their phone based on what people have said about their passion for their particular phone.

And as I also suspected it is impossible for a small subset of people to not share their opinions. Each one is free to start their own thread about whatever they feel passion over. Yet some people can't honor a simple request.

12. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

While this well may be interesting. I requested people refrain from debating the merit of their phone or detrimental opinions and facts about other people's phones. Perhaps starting your own thread leading with your attachment will serve your purposes. Base on your post I am putting you in the "no" column of have you switched phones due to posts on this forum.

13. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

Ok, for my purposes I am adding you to the no side as I am not interested in ambiguity.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

For me it is a no BUT I do peruse this for iDevice issues (major/critical) and that will let me know a bit more what to check out when I test drive a iDevice.

15. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

I'm in no way implying that this forum doesn't allow the passing on of valuable information. As long as statements made are backed up and make logical sense this is a good way to understand issues with iPhones. I am adding you to the no column for now.

16. macsba macrumors 6502

Greetings HEK;

Just giving a thought about Samsung quality. I don't yet have a smartphone but in the future I'll be looking. By-the-way, where is the voting?

17. sirghost macrumors member

Skewing the data I see. This is exactly why I did not answer one way or the other. Maybe I should have asked you to give me the answer you wanted to see and I would have been more than happy to of provided that.

18. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

So far over 350 people have read the thread, no one has admitted to being convinced to change their choice of phone.

Beginning to look like all the passion people put into telling others how right they are in their own choice of phone is utterly unconvincing. Almost like people are talking to themselves.

19. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

I'm sorry you are ashamed to say if you switched or not. Honestly there is nothing you should feel bad about. It's your choice what phone to use and you don't have to justify your choice. Even changing your mind is your right.

The reason I added you to the no side is because the probability is now over 350 to none, that you are also part of the group not convinced by opinions by zealots. Be happy to change that if that's not the case. You could be first to admit you switched.

20. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

C'mon, just add a yes/no poll, a lot of people (myself included) would just prefer to click that then have to post comments and have to explain, etc. Also can't help but feel a little hostility on your end, this must be a subject very close to your heart for some reason...? :confused:

21. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

How much easier can it be, if someone switched, say " I switched from this to that" period, no explanation or justification needed or asked for. I will repeat myself again. I am not looking for a partisan debate, or loads of justifications. Since every other poll type thread always has people commenting. I specifically did not make this a poll at the top, and politely asked for simple yes answers. All the rest no need to bother. Really it's jus that simple either you have switched or you have not. I don't care on way or the other.

The only hostility is a tiny bit towards people that for whatever reason want to use this thread as a battle ground.

It is a question that has become more and more close to my heart over the last couple years. After witnessing the anger, bitterness, nastiness so many have expressed here about this phone or that phone I am increasingly curious if all the bickering about features, companies, ( I would use a perfect noun for it but am not allowed to), the zealots toss back and forth has changed any minds. It's really that simple. No hidden agendas, no traps to fall in to.

Just wanted to have an honest understanding if people had changed their minds. Apparently event this simple of a question causes rancor and debate. Let me ask you, has the question I am asking ever crossed your mind? Amazingly a choice of phone is taking on religious overtones. Perhaps I am naive, but this honestly amazes me a lot and dismays me a bit.

22. sirghost macrumors member

Could be easier by simply having a poll of yes or no and would probably get more reliable results.

23. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

How more reliable only people saying yes are those that switched based on what they read hear. Everyone else is automatically a NO. If you tried both phones and switched, it's a NO. If you never saw this forum and switched its a NO. If you switched back after trying one and went back to another based on your personal experience it's still NO. If you didn't switch it's a NO.

Only YES is if based on what you read on here, you switched. So I could add the YES box only at the top. Still don't see how hard it would be to say yes in a response. Look at all the people that are responding that I asked not to.

Looks like about 575 NO responses, not a single YES yet, not sure about one guy who didn't want to say, still not sure why other than wants to make this a battle.