Has anyone talked about the design of the 6 being a tribute to the original iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 7, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

Pretty cool, I have a lot more appreciation for the design now.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, the iPhone 6/6+ sure makes me appreciate my iPhone 5 in Black/Slate that much more. :D

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Why don't you like it?

4. chabig macrumors 68040

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

1. Space Gray. No black (the black front doesn't count, I'm talking about the metal case).
    2. iOS 8. (Give me iOS 6 back please, I'm only on iOS 7 because I replaced my iPhone).
    3. Those fugly antenna lines. To each his own, but I do NOT care for that look at all.
    4. Non-flush camera. Seriously? The phone is so thin the lens has to bulge out? I've heard rumors that it's to allow for future attachments to the lens, but it's still ugly to me.
    5. It's curved. I much prefer the boxy side look of my iPhone 5 and the chamfered edges.

I do however appreciate the size of the 6+. But, honestly that's about it. This is not one phone I wish to spend the next two or more years with.

Now, to be honest, there was one thread where a poster showed a mod that would anodize the phone to a jet black. It's an additional $300 and I do believe it makes the phone look a lot better. Being able to execute on that option as part of getting a 6+ would be a motivator for me to buy a 6+.

Space gray is not black and I much prefer black for my phones.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't know, too big?

7. chabig macrumors 68040

He didn't say it was too big. Why would you think that?

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't know dude obviously that's why I'm asking

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

10. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

I actually thought the same thing when I finally got mine. I heard some people say it looks like the galaxy, but MY first thought was the first iPhone.

Pretty cool.

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah saw, I agree with everything you said.

12. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

The iPhone 5 was only surpassed in compromised design and general uglyness by the 3 series IMO. The 4 was stunning. The 5 was a stretched out piece of garbage.

The 6 series is very much an evolution of the first gen iPhone and that's what makes it the most solid iPhone design in the device's history, again IMO. Why? Because it's completely unique to the iPhone. While the 4 was awesome and stunning looking it was very much an homage to the Leica M3. Nothing wrong with that really, but an iPhone isn't a Leica. It's an iPhone. To that extent the iPhone 6 series is the most "pure" design we've seen since gen 1 and that's why I absolutely adore it.

13. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

I agree.. i really love the design. The ONLY thing I could have done without are the antenna bands. But I love the curve, the all "aluminium" back, the thinness.

14. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How is the 4 like a Leica M3?

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. :D The iPhone 5 is very reminiscent to me of the monolith in 2001 the movie. It's beautiful.

My opinion of the 4 series is very different than yours. Where you have a negative opinion of the 5, I have a very negative opinion of the 4/4s.

My negative opinion of the 4 series only gets worse when people stick them in neon colored bumpers or cases, and exponentially negative when they are placed in any kind of an Otterbox.

I further have a negative opinion of the 4S itself because Apple kept it and killed off the 5 instead of moving the 5 down and killing off the 4s, which I have an extreme dislike for. I waited an additional year to buy an iPhone precisely because I wanted to avoid having to buy an iPhone 4s.

So, again, you and I see things very differently. That's ok. I respect your opinion and you are entitled to it. Apple makes more than one iPhone and that's part of what's great about them. We can all get the iPhone model we prefer. But I was asked my opinion of the 6/6+ so I gave it. :)

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So do you think the original iPhone isn't a black iPhone? It has black front/silver back just like the 6/6+ in Space Gray.

17. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

I think they took some inspiration from the old Leica cameras. I believe even Steve Jobs mentioned it (generally) looked like a Leica in the keynote.

18. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Look at the two side by side. There are many design cues that both share, not the least of which is the boxy and sharp edged shape. Also, remember that the M3 was the very first viable 35mm "pocket camera," so it's easy to overlook the design features that make it unique since every single camera maker since it came out has copied it, just as every single phone maker has copied the iPhone.

----------

Not just looked like. Felt like too. I own both and the subtle similarities are striking.

----------

It sure does. And if Apple had had the current antenna schema back then that they use now it wouldn't have had that big plastic window at the top either.

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I never thought of it. I suppose I would have to say yes.

Understand where I'm coming from though. My very first, bought it myself iPhone was my iPhone 5. I never really looked at iPhones (although I wanted one) until 2012. I didn't go out to get an iPhone until that year because AT&T, which is not my carrier, was the only carrier that carried the iPhone until 2011. And in 2011 all Sprint had was the iPhone 4S which I don't care for.

My phone before the 5 was black (HTC Touch Pro) and the phone before that was also black (Sanyo Katana). So, my preference is for as much black (and as little gray) as I can find.

I know the 5 is Black/Slate, but even the Slate is darker than Space Gray.

20. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

Ahh, the wonders of life. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm with you on the ugly bands, and the protruding camera... but I really do like iOS8, the space grey and the curves. I think the new space grey looks more like industrial steel.

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I really want iOS6 back as well :(

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah. Everyone is different and what I like others may not and vice versa. That's ok by me. If everyone liked the same thing there wouldn't be any diversity or choice out there.

I have to say though that your comment about industrial steel has me looking at the phone a bit differently now though. I hadn't considered that.

23. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Criticizing the 4 because of the cases people put on it is flat out nonsense. People put rediculous cases on every iPhone ever made.

Here's the problem with the 5 from a designer's perspective (which is what I am.) It's about proportions. The iPhone 4 was designed as an object centered on a specific screen size. When Apple moved to 16x9 screens they didn't re-think the overall design of the elements of the phone. They just stretched it vertically and left everything else exactly the same. So the buttons seem too far apart. The sides seem too long. The overall balance of the design is lost because the central assumption of the design (the screen size) changed but nothing else did. It looks gangly and improvised.

But as we know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is no true objectivity in the design world.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think we can agree on this one. :)

25. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

serious question... why do I read so often that people want iOS6 back? Is it the stability? Performance? Or the features? I could totally see the stability being an issue, or performance on an older phone but not sure what people find so bad with iOS 7 & 8.

I updated my wife's 4S from 6 a couple of months ago, and after using 7 for a while, I couldn't stand 6. What do you like about 6? Again... not talking about the bugs.