Has anyone tried a Seagate Momentus XT SSD and spinning HD upgrade yet?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mellofello, Feb 20, 2012.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

2. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Not one of those is from the imac section. Thanks for being contrary though.

Has anyone with an imac tried this drive, or an equivalent?

3. simsaladimbamba

Why would it perform differently in an iMac, if you can get it to connect to it?
    Which iMac do you have?

4. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

So in other words, --- never mind.

5. simsaladimbamba

And? You posted for a reason, don't hide that reason behind a snarky remark.

6. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Fair enough. It just seemed you didn't have a direct answer to what seemed like a straight-forward question. You asked a good question, however, with "why would it perform differently in an iMac." Just because a specific device integrates well with one product (e.g., a Macbook or MB Pro) doesn't necessarily mean it will integrate and play nice with another (e.g., an iMac). In this specific case, OWC at least doesn't even sell the Seagate Momentus Hybrid drive that will work with the iMac. The main issue (besides the size mis-match, which could be overcome with an adaptor) seems to be that Apple saw fit to incorporate some special wiring requirements in the internal HD to accomodate temperature sensing circuitry and fan control in the newer iMacs (09 and newer "I think"). As such, the only drives that will work as direct plug-and-play replacements are drives that Apple sells (or so I'm told). However, I have read that there might be some software that will still allow allow fan control sans the HD having the required temp sensing interface that the Apple cabling is set up for.

It would be interesting then to hear if anyone has managed to put one of these drives in an iMac, and if so how and what, if any, performance or heating issues there are.