General Has anyone tried BetterWiFi? Seems it replaces CleverPin also

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kalirob99, Nov 2, 2013.

1. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I've been using Wifi Booster forever, I'm just wondering if anyone else has bought it and can give feedback on its replacing the 2?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't have and never tried CleverPin. I don't mind entering my passcode each time as if I'm going to be using my iPhone for a bit I have 20Second Lockscreen and ScreenDimmer so I just lay the phone down.

I bought this (BetterWiFi) yesterday mainly for the fact that it shows signal strength, encryption (WPA, WEP, WPA2, etc) and removes the Apple RSSI limit.

So far it's been great for that. I don't use the passcode feature thing.

3. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Guess I'll give it a shot then. It's not to expensive.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I think it's worth the buck and a half just for what I am using it for. At a glance I can see what encryption is being used for each network and the signal strength. And being able to remove the RSSI limit gives me access to additional networks.

Others may like the passcode thing and I can totally get the convenience of that. So, all in all I think it's worth the price.

5. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

That and I figure it'll be nice to have 2 tweaks turn into just one lol.

6. h4mza macrumors 6502

7. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

It depends which functions of WiFiFoFum you use?

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I read the description of WiFiFoFum and based on that (I don't have WiFiFoFum) I have to conclude that it's purpose is quite different than BetterWiFi.

WiFiFoFum's intent seems to be to provide the operator with information to 'access' the networks it finds whereas BetterWiFi is just showing you the signal strength and type of encryption that it sees and also to make it easier to use your phone on the network you're on.

Two totally different purposes I think.

9. SimonSelg macrumors newbie

Dev here.

It's quite different - WiFoFum is meant to be as an extra app which shows you all the available informations about the wifis in your range + offers you a logging option (wardriving).

BetterWiFi enhances the iOS stock wifi network list - it's not about showing as much information as possible, it's to make the process of finding a wifi and/or connecting to a wifi network easier.

Initially, my motivation to make this tweak was the "show only open wifis" function, because I stayed in the USA for almost one year and I walked through NCY a lot, without having mobile internet on my iPhone (I didn't buy an american mobile internet plan - I'm german and using my german data plan in the USA would have been really expensive), and so i was often looking for free wifis, and scrolling through a long long list of encrypted wifis was really annoying. That's when i initially thought about it (almost 2 years ago now - time goes by (too) fast).

I hope you get the difference - if not just send me an email.

@OP: You are right, WiFi Booster (which I have been using too) offers some of BetterWiFis functionality, combined with CleverPin you'd *almost* get the same functionality - but just almost. The "display only open wifis" option would be gone, along with the ability to display the encryption.

Also, CleverPin determines wether you are connected to your home network or not by comparing the NAME of the wifi, not by comparing the BSSID (as BetterWiFi does). If you happen to have a home wifi network called "dlink" for example, then connecting to any network called "dlink" (there are a lot of them) would unlock your device.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

@SimonSelg.

I have to say that the deciding factor for me on purchasing your tweak was the fact that it displays a graphical representation of signal strength and the type of encryption that each network is using. Getting rid of the arbitrary RSSI level was a bonus.

This is important to me because often I need to know the type of encryption for various things. But really, for me, seeing the WiFi signal strength is the best part of the tweak. I was on the fence about buying it until I read about this feature.

Thanks for your work. I'm a fan!

11. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I have to say I'm glad to see that issue with CleverPin isn't present. I kept my sisters wifi as dd-wrt just as my own. On the rare occasion I visited it was a pain. So thanks for that feature.
    Any chance there could be an option to sort the networks listed by signal strength? Maybe even show the channel it's broadcasting on? Would really help when setting up a routers channel.

12. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Do you have any screenshots? I'm curious about the tweak and understand mostly what it offers. But the stock wifi section in settings shows the signal strength as well. Just curious and hoping you can clarify. Thanks.

13. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Here's mine…

One shows scanning and the other shows Pull to scan, which you can do to force a rescan.

Attached Files:

15. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Aaahhhh I see! Thanks. I wasn't exactly sure what the tweak looks like so I appreciate you guys posting the screenshots. I actually could use this tweak so I'll have to remember to buy it when/if I can jailbreak my phone. Thanks again!

16. SimonSelg macrumors newbie

That's a good idea - I'll add a sort option and add the wifi channel to the detail view (where you can set proxy & DNS settings normally).

@ Anyone asking for screenshots: Just use the official API provided by thebigboss: http://moreinfo.thebigboss.org/moreinfo/depiction.php?file=betterwifiDp

Simon

17. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Awesome news, I'm looking forward to the update!

18. h4mza macrumors 6502

I don't know much about WifiFoFum's features. My wifi in my bedroom is weak and signal often drops, the Settings menu doesn't show up my wifi hotspot so I use WifiFoFum to search and connect to it. I think BetterWifi works the same way but not sure as i couldn't install it because I'm on iOS 5.0.1. Does anyone know if you can get this kind of app from App store so I could then update to iOS 7 then.

19. SimonSelg macrumors newbie

Nope. You won't be able to find such kind of apps in the App Store. There's a reason for that: All the wifi-scanning API are private apis. You aren't allowed to use these APIs in Appstore-apps. If you do it, Apple rejects your app.

There used to be an App called wifianalyzer in the Appstore, but apple pulled it out, because it was using private apis. Now you can find it in cydia, it's a bit like WiFoFum.

EDIT: Yeah, BetterWiFi works kinda the same way, it's just integrated into the native wifi list and has some additional functions, as explained above. I'll add iOS 5 Compatibility in the next update, i just have to get some device using iOS 5 to test it. My old iPod *should* still have iOS 5, I'll check that.

20. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Any chance this can be modified to allow users of iPhone 4's on 5.1.1 to also enjoy this tweak?

21. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

The author says he plans to work on it. 2 posts up.

22. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I missed that.
    Good news though for those who think 5.1.1 is Apples' finest iOS.

23. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Or iPad 1 owners like myself heh.

24. TheWolk macrumors newbie

Great tweak!

Hi SimonSelg,

I installed BetterWiFi tweak on iPad4 (iOS 6.1.2) and noticed couple of cosmetic issues:

On Wi-Fi Configuration screen: “Open WIFIs only” toggle section does not get properly resized for landscape mode and appears shorter than it should be.

On Wi-Fi Configuration screen: Periodically “Refresh in progresses indicator” (spinning wheel) appears on the top pushing all content down. I think it should only happen when “Pull to scan” option is used and not for refreshes initiated by the system automatically.

Overall, excellent idea and implementation. Thank you for the great tweak!

25. lva macrumors member

lva

I bought and used BetterWifi for about 48 hours and noticed some unexpected resprings. But BetterWifi was not the only Cydia extension, which was installed. There are many others so it could be an incompatibly with another extension. So far I switched back to Wifi Booster.