Has anyone tried connecting a USB Hard Drive to their Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jon-Luke, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I'm considering buying an Airport Extreme to extend my home network and to connect to my Home Theater System - Has anyone tried connecting a hard drive to their Airport Express (its seems that the USB connection is designed for Printing, but will it run a Hard Drive?)...

Or should I rather look at getting a multimedia player that has WiFi connectivity to connect to my home network?

Your advise would be appreciated. :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have it found it so slow, that I couldn't use it.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Won't work for hard drives. USB port is for printers only.

Airport Extreme and Time Capsule are the only ones that support USB hard drives.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Your post is confusing. You state that you intend to buy an Extreme, yet you ask about whether the Express supports USB hard drives. You also state that you want to connect it to your Home Theater System. Which product do you intend to purchase? They are not one and the same.

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

The Extreme will support USB hard drives. The Express will not. The Extreme has no audio out port for AirTunes. The Express does.

5. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I stream movies from a USB hard disk connected to a Airport Extreme. It works very well, in 5ghz 802.11N. Speeds come out to around 7mb/s.

I also have a cheap regular router for the rest of the junk on the network that I'm eventually going to replace with an Express just for airtunes.