Has anyone tried Kapton Polyimide tape to mitigate the signal attenuation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PecanEater, Jul 20, 2010.

1. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

Has anyone tried Kapton Polyimide tape (a la Anandtech) to mitigate the signal attenuation on their iPhone4? Is it possible to use an fine-tipped X-Acto knife to cut all the appropriate openings? Probably pretty tedious but is it do able? The gold color doesn't look bad.

[​IMG]

2. hazeydavey macrumors regular

I dunno, but the full Zagg invisible shield seems to have mitigated the problem on my phone.

Before I applied it, I would drop calls here at work. Since on, problem hasn't occurred...bars drop only 1-2 instead of 4-5.

3. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

I ordered a roll for 7 bucks its worth a shot.

4. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Three layers of electrical tape didn't help me. I doubt something this thin will.

5. JackSpearo macrumors regular

looks straight up gangsta! don't like it at all haha

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Well, there are 2 issues here:

1) Bridging the gap between the 2 antennas detunes them - this issue is resolved by a case or tape
    2) Cupping your hand around any antenna degrades the signal. This is the issue that ANY radio device will suffer from and will not be resolved by a case or tape

Issue #1 is what makes the iPhone unique and causes most of the problems. Issue #2 is minor but is what keeps people bitching and saying "a bumper doesn't fix the issue!" It most likely won't cause dropped calls except where the signal is already very weak.

7. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I was wondering how this work if you placed the tape on the inside of one of those bumpers:confused: