Has anyone used a Canon Pixma MX850 Office All-In-One Printer with a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pearlnyc, Jan 9, 2009.

1. pearlnyc macrumors newbie

I was looking to buy a printer. I already have a Epson Perfection Scanner ( its not the best but does the job)

Canon Pixma MX850 Office All-In-One Printer (2436B002) apparently is listed in Mac World as one of the top products in their most recent issue. I was hoping some real world people may advise me on whether its a good purchase. If you have one or know someone who does or know of a better printer please post a reply.

I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on a printer. I'm also a designer so I'm looking for one that prints graphic design work decently. I have an old G5 tower and my new 13" white mackbook that I want it to work with too.

I like that the Mx850 has a fax and copier feature in addition to the scanner. That'll be handy when my business grows. hopefully.

Anyways please help.

2. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

My HP Multi-Function Printer died on me a month ago so your question comes at a great time as I'm also looking for a great MFP as well for my new Mac Pro. I read the same review in MacWorld so I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this MFP. My emphasis is on the quality of printed text as I work more with the printed word than color/photo prints. Thanks for asking this question and saving me some time in posting what you did -- although this response to your post probably took the same amount of time to write!

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

That's the one we have.

Pros:
    • Good quality b/w text and color output
    • All-in-one design
    • uses separate ink cartridges for each color
    • Copy feature is available even when the computer is off
    • Scans relatively quick

Cons:
    • Ink cartridges can be pricey and somewhat hard to find
    • Physically big- like a small microwave or big toaster oven.
    • Scanner isn't anything you want to use for professional work
    • Included software is so-so

Overall, we're happy with our printer and get a lot of use out of it. Some of the features (fax, print from memory cards) we never use so I really can't comment on them.