Has anyone used a Canon Pixma MX850 Office All-In-One Printer with a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pearlnyc, Jan 9, 2009.

1. pearlnyc macrumors newbie

Dec 29, 2008
    I was looking to buy a printer. I already have a Epson Perfection Scanner ( its not the best but does the job)

Canon Pixma MX850 Office All-In-One Printer (2436B002) apparently is listed in Mac World as one of the top products in their most recent issue. I was hoping some real world people may advise me on whether its a good purchase. If you have one or know someone who does or know of a better printer please post a reply.

I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on a printer. I'm also a designer so I'm looking for one that prints graphic design work decently. I have an old G5 tower and my new 13" white mackbook that I want it to work with too.

I like that the Mx850 has a fax and copier feature in addition to the scanner. That'll be handy when my business grows. hopefully.

Anyways please help.
  2. jeffreyk macrumors regular

Nov 28, 2007
    Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
    My HP Multi-Function Printer died on me a month ago so your question comes at a great time as I'm also looking for a great MFP as well for my new Mac Pro. I read the same review in MacWorld so I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this MFP. My emphasis is on the quality of printed text as I work more with the printed word than color/photo prints. Thanks for asking this question and saving me some time in posting what you did -- although this response to your post probably took the same amount of time to write!
  3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Jan 6, 2009
    Titletown USA
    That's the one we have.

• Good quality b/w text and color output
    • All-in-one design
    • uses separate ink cartridges for each color
    • Copy feature is available even when the computer is off
    • Scans relatively quick

• Ink cartridges can be pricey and somewhat hard to find
    • Physically big- like a small microwave or big toaster oven.
    • Scanner isn't anything you want to use for professional work
    • Included software is so-so

Overall, we're happy with our printer and get a lot of use out of it. Some of the features (fax, print from memory cards) we never use so I really can't comment on them.