Has anyone used the ViewSonic VX2263smhl-w Monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by myrtlebee, May 22, 2015.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Just ordered a new mid-range 2.6 8GB 256 SSD Mac mini from MacMall for delivery tomorrow. Really excited.

And I just purchased this monitor from Amazon to go with it for delivery tomorrow as well. It is the ViewSonic VX2263smhl-w 22-Inch SuperClear IPS LED Monitor (Frameless Design, Full HD 1080p, 50M:1 DCR, 2x HDMI/VGA), White

Does anyone have experience with this monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7CMY8C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Well, it arrived this morning and there are gaps between the casing and the bezel where light leaks through very noticeably and also what appears to be a stuck gray pixel or dust. Some reviewers mentioned the former issue on Amazon. I immediately requested a replacement and they will be shipping it out shortly.

I really hope the replacement arrives in perfect condition, because otherwise it really is a beautiful monitor for the price. The white polycarbonate and super thin black bezel looks really sharp and makes Yosemite's colors pop, especially the dock icons.

If you are interested in this monitor, my suggestion is to purchase it through Amazon so that way if you have any quality issues you will have no problem getting a replacement.

3. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

More so than what they describe here on Amazon...?

4. myrtlebee, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

That's not what I'm talking about - it is a construction issue as there is a literal gap of one centimeter between the plastic frame and the glass of the panel. Unlike most displays, this one has no plastic frame that goes on top of the panel to cover this gap.

So, it is a matter of who or whatever assembles the display of gluing down the glass in the dead center (and it is glued down because I can see some of the glue in the gap). Here is a picture of it, although it looks much brighter in person. It's only on the left side. If the glass was moved ever so slightly to the left I wouln't have the issue. I'm hoping I'm lucky enough for this to be the case on the replacement.

I also forgot to include that if it weren't for the gray spot (dead/stuck pixel or dust) I would have put up with this issue and not have asked for a replacement. It's tolerable, but an unfortunate assembly issue with this particular design.

Attached Files:

5. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

If the Viewsonic doesn't work out you may want to try the Asus VS239H-P. It is slightly more expensive, but suprisingly nice for ~$150.

6. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Thank you. I'm going to save that in my Amazon cart just in case. Looks like a nice option. The Viewsonic replacement is still scheduled to arrive on Friday even though it's been in Texas for days, probably because of the flooding. Really hoping it is in good shape because I've been using the original and I really like it. The white body with the thin black bezels is pretty slick. It has a small blue indicator light as well. The whole thing reminds me of a stormtrooper :cool:

7. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

The replacement Viewsonic just came this afternoon and it's perfect (as far as I can tell). No light leak, no dead/stuck pixels or dust, and it's actually made sturdier (when I press on the bezels it is securely affixed, whereas the other one flexes like the glass isn't glued down all the way). I guess like with everything, it's just a hit or a miss.

8. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Well, I have an update on this monitor for those who care. After about a week I noticed there was a gray spot on white backgrounds. It looked like a "smudge" within the screen itself. Very strange.

Sent it back for a return and went to Best Buy and purchased an Acer H6 Series 23"IPS LED HD Monitor H236HL. It is on sale, and I actually wound up getting it even cheaper by using a 10% Movers Coupon. Also, it is bigger than the ViewSonic at 23" and it has a glossy screen, which I prefer. The colors pop much better and the whole thing reminds me of Apple displays. Very pleased so far.

Here is a link to this monitor at Best Buy for those who are interested:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-h6...lack/4751006.p?id=1219103673253&skuId=4751006