Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I've searched and read the threads, and it seems like a good unit all the way around. Just curious if there have been any that had a bad experience though...just wanted to hear details.

Also, this is a very rookie question, but when you replace the drive, do you just re-start the computer with your OSX boot disc in? Is that it? Then just let it install, and use your Time Machine backup to restore the info?

Thanks so much.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I've searched and read the threads, and it seems like a good unit all the way around. Just curious if there have been any that had a bad experience though...just wanted to hear details.

Also, this is a very rookie question, but when you replace the drive, do you just re-start the computer with your OSX boot disc in? Is that it? Then just let it install, and use your Time Machine backup to restore the info?

Thanks so much.

Hello,

I upgraded my stock HD (toshiba) to this drive and it's great. While sometimes it feels faster, this may be more psychological than anything else. It's definately quieter, however.

You cannot use time machine to do the switch. download carbon copy cloner. When you get the drive, first format the drive and then carbon copy the existing HD (still inside the computer) onto the new drive. Then swap the drives. This is the easiest way to make the switch. Good luck and keep in mind, if you have the "Classic" MBP and take the MBP in for repair, this will void the warranty if not done through an apple certified technician.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Hello,

I upgraded my stock HD (toshiba) to this drive and it's great. While sometimes it feels faster, this may be more psychological than anything else. It's definately quieter, however.

You cannot use time machine to do the switch. download carbon copy cloner. When you get the drive, first format the drive and then carbon copy the existing HD (still inside the computer) onto the new drive. Then swap the drives. This is the easiest way to make the switch. Good luck and keep in mind, if you have the "Classic" MBP and take the MBP in for repair, this will void the warranty if not done through an apple certified technician.

That's great news that it's as quiet. The stock drive in mine is VERY quiet.

Regarding Carbon Copy Cloner, how do I format the new drive if the old one is "still inside the computer"?

Also, my MBP is an early '09 unibody.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
That's great news that it's as quiet. The stock drive in mine is VERY quiet.

Regarding Carbon Copy Cloner, how do I format the new drive if the old one is "still inside the computer"?

Also, my MBP is an early '09 unibody.

you put the hard drive into an enclosure which basically makes it into an external storage device, kind of like a usb stick. when you plug the enclosure into the mac it pops up onto the desktop. then you search disk utility and run that program to format the HD.

by the way, both my HD's are basically whisper quiet when in the macbook pro. if you get a drive that makes vibration or noise while inside your macbook pro, send it back, it's not suposed to be that way.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
you put the hard drive into an enclosure which basically makes it into an external storage device, kind of like a usb stick. when you plug the enclosure into the mac it pops up onto the desktop. then you search disk utility and run that program to format the HD.

Oh ok, I follow you now. Guess I need to find out where to buy one of those. :)

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
Here's what I did for mine:

1. Backup everything on your old HDD with Time Machine.
2. Make the HDD switch.
3. Boot up from your restore disc.
4. Install the OS from the disc.
5. Restart computer.
6. Select the option to restore from Time Machine Backup when you go through set up.

You can probably get it done easier but that's what I did with mine.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009

2. Make the HDD switch.
5. Restart computer.
6. Select the option to restore from Time Machine Backup when you go through set up.

Yeah that's what I had suggested in the first post. I see why other ways would maybe be easier, but I still don't understand why someone earlier said it wouldn't work.

Does it void the warranty if I change the drive myself?

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX

2. Make the HDD switch.
4. Install the OS from the disc. THIS STEP IS NOT NEEDED. YOU CAN INSTALL THE TIME MACHINE BACKUP ONCE YOU HAVE FORMATTED THE DRIVE AND RESTARTED. GO TO Utilities|Restore From Backup and you'll be able to do it. No need to wait the hour and half for OSX to install and then another couple hours for the Time Machine Backup to restore.
5. Restart computer.

See my edit above.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Does it void the warranty if I change the drive myself?

No, it does not void the warranty, unless you screw something up in the process. However, I would recommend keeping the stock drive available and reinstalling it if you need to send your Mac in for repairs (for a number of reasons).

And yes, contrary to what DoNoHarm said, you can use Time Machine for this as others have mentioned. You will need to erase the new disk and format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and any of the methods mentioned will work... clone or Time Machine.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan

2. Make the HDD switch.
5. Restart computer.

You've got the right idea, but you can skip a few steps by just attaching to your Time Machine backup and restoring with the OS Install Disc. I believe you can select 'Restore from Backup' under the Option menu in the menu bar.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I tried that but the new HDD never showed up in the process.

Once the hard drive is installed and you have partitioned it via Disk Utility, you will need to restart and boot from the Restore DVD again. Once there, go to Utilities|Restore from Backup and it should show up.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Also, once the Time Machine Backup has been restored, go into Disk Utilites and Repair Permissions.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
YES!!! Don't EVER change anything yourself.

No it does not void your warranty, as long as you do not damage anything in the process. There has been enough discussion on this point in the past for this canard to be laid to rest. Just bear in mind that your hard drive is no longer covered under your original warranty whoever replaces it.

Having seen how some of these authorised Apple workshops operate, I trusted myself to do a better job following online guides. It took a couple of hours as I took my time - no scratches, dents or other damage ensued and all screws were accounted for in their proper places.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you have a Time Machine, backup is easy and there is no need to waste time with 3rd party applications. As for warranty issues, there should really be a sticky in each forum because this forum always gets a thread or two everyday asking will it void my warranty and I think it's as important as which RAM to buy or which computer suits people and they have a sticky for those.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I would say mine is pretty loud.... I wonder if I should try to return it for a different one, like it sounds like my fans are at 3.5k RPMs, sadly can't remember what the old one sounded like but I feel it was quiet.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Once the hard drive is installed and you have partitioned it via Disk Utility, you will need to restart and boot from the Restore DVD again. Once there, go to Utilities|Restore from Backup and it should show up.

That was my next question. Thanks. :)

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
IT'S SARCASM. :rolleyes:

you can tell on a forum? quite the clairvoyant, you are. (sarcasm)

OT: i've heard mixed reports from folks but do believe that the general opinion is that the 7200 drive does have a significant hum and vibration that irks some more than others. in my case, i'd prolly go for 5400 RPM since the HD specs are so close together that using a 7200 drive and then having to deal with the hum and vibes is an issue i'd rather not have to deal with anyway. some folks might have time to swap and return drives but i'd rather get a drive and be done with it to return to doing my work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.