Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I have heard Best Buy can special order many items. Do employees get a discount on items that are not carried in store or on their website? How about items that are available on their website?

jnappleseed

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
I have heard Best Buy can special order many items. Do employees get a discount on items that are not carried in store or on their website? How about items that are available on their website?

Employees pay 5% about wholesale cost. Furthermore, employee discount can be used on online purchases. When logging in to bestbuy.com, you'll be asked for your employee number if you have registered your bestbuy.com account within the employee discount widget in ETK.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Employees pay 5% about wholesale cost. Furthermore, employee discount can be used on online purchases. When logging in to bestbuy.com, you'll be asked for your employee number if you have registered your bestbuy.com account within the employee discount widget in ETK.

It's no longer 5% above cost, they changed

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I worked for Best Buy back in 2003. From what I remember it was 5% above cost, but I don't know if it was limited to in-store only.

What I do remember is that I had to get past a probationary period before I could use my discount, to deter people who tried to work there for a week to get a bunch of stuff cheaper.

Also, I remember I had to take a drug test, and the drug testing place was super strict-I'd never done one before and I felt super awkward getting told to keep my hands where they could see them and being forced to pee with the door open.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I worked at Best Buy in 2000. That is all of the information I have for you. ;)

Me too! What part of the country? Isn't it crazy how different it is now? The place used to be dominated by CDs. Remember PRPs and PSPs? The speaker room? The "video" department? All gone.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Me too! What part of the country? Isn't it crazy how different it is now? The place used to be dominated by CDs. Remember PRPs and PSPs? The speaker room? The "video" department? All gone.

I worked in Plano (Dallas), Texas. The store is still there but it was completely gutted and remodeled a few years ago.

I remember having a kid pay for a $50 N64 game in nickels... :rolleyes: :D

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I worked in Plano (Dallas), Texas. The store is still there but it was completely gutted and remodeled a few years ago.

I remember having a kid pay for a $50 N64 game in nickels... :rolleyes: :D

Lol. Ya they gutted and remodeled mine a few years ago too. Almost unrecognizable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.