Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
http://www.macgasm.net/2011/12/20/iphone-bug-give-thieves-access-imessages/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3514331?start=0&tstart=0

I brought a new Nokia Lumia 900. Have a brand new provision sim in from the att retail store with provision lte account.

Anyways, I am not receiving any text messages (specifically no texts from my iphone users).

I can send texts from the lumia 900 and people receive it but when they respond it goes back to my imessage (either on my iphone with no sim in it or my ipad). Even if I put my sim back into the old iphone, the iPhone 4S has my cell phone number "grayed out" without the option of making it the default imessage number. It has my apple ID.

But I can switch my "caller ID" and make my default cell phone number the default apple imessage.

Is there a word around this? It's very annoying that I am missing text messages which get routed to my imessage/apple ID (with my ipad or iphone over wifi (no sim in iphone).

I've heard horrible stories where people resell their iphone but people are still receiving their imessage even after a factory restore.

Is the only option to do a factory restore on my iPhone (and not have any SIM card into during the restore process?).

It's very scary that Apple hasn't figured out this imessage bug with the iphone.

I've only had the nokia lumia 900 for a few days and people are wondering why I haven't responded back to their text. Than when I get home I see 10 plus iMessages responding back to me from texts I sent on the Nokia Lumia (even though I had turned off iMessage on all my iDevices). Once I turn on those imessage, I got those 10 messages from users who responded back to me.

Any other suggestions besides a full restore (without my SIM card in the iPhone?)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I got the Lumia as well...

Pop your sim back in the iPhone. Go into iMessage and turn it off. Send a text to test it. Receive a text to test if further. Pop sim back into Lumia. You should be good to go.

You can also go into iMessage further and set it to only send the iMessage via email contact and not phone number.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
I got the Lumia as well...

Pop your sim back in the iPhone. Go into iMessage and turn it off. Send a text to test it. Receive a text to test if further. Pop sim back into Lumia. You should be good to go.

You can also go into iMessage further and set it to only send the iMessage via email contact and not phone number.

I did exactly what you did. It's frustrating me for the past 2 days.

I think I will just restore the iPhone without the sim and hopefully this fixes everything.

It's a major turnoff especially for those who don't know about this bug and resell their iPhone 4/4S on craigslist/ebay.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Sorry you had a bad experience. Funny thing is I asked the ATT rep specifically about this issue since I had read about it previously myself. I followed what she said to a T (which is what I wrote to you).

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Well just restored iPhone without the sim.

Looks like iMessage glitch is fixed. I am receiving texts from my Nokia lumia again from iPhone users.

Pain in the butt. But gotta do what I gotta do to fix the problem.

Nokia Lumia is nice. Different from ios and android. It's smooth. No lag. Screen is very similar to Samsung S2...clearblack amoled. Resolution is lower 480x800. But that doesn't bother me.

Windows Phone 7.5 feels like what IOS4 was. So still a step behind (no screen shot can be taken). Only took Android till 4.0 to get this feature as well.

Vell843

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
I have heard that this may also work?
Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
Click on "edit products"
Click on the "x" to the right of the product.
Click "unregister"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.