Has AT&T Call Quality Improved in NYC with iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ddarko, Oct 17, 2012.

1. ddarko
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I'm no longer an AT&T user after switching to Verizon with the iPhone 5 but I'm curious if call quality has improved with the iPhone 5. I had the AT&T iPhone 5 for a little bit before switching and the LTE network was great - I could finally get emails or surf during business hours in midtown. However, I decided to switch to Verizon because voice calls aren't over LTE but continue to be carried over GSM, which still seem overloaded at peak hours in NYC/Manhattan despite years of AT&T upgrades. In the days before the iPhone 5 went on sale, I had a bunch of calls to my iPhone 4 that didn't ring or failed to show up as missed calls and voice mails that showed up hours after their time stamp. I figured AT&T LTE data network wouldn't solve these call-related problems but wanted to ask folks who had the phone longer what their experience has been. I will say during the brief time I had an AT&T iPhone 5, I didn't have those call issues except for one call which connected but the other person couldn't hear me; ironically, it was a call to AT&T customer service :)

2. El3ctronics
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

I haven't had any issues with AT&T voice in NYC for the better part of 2+ years. Now data, pre LTE, was a whole other story. During business hours, it wouldn't connect at all. Now with the iPhone 5 and LTE coverage, both LTE & voice are absolutely superb for me. Couldn't be happier.

3. diegoesk
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Ive been with verizon since right before the iPhone 4 was released.

The service in terms of data speed and cell reception/ penetration has decreased drastically. I briefly had the iPhone 5 and love LTE but it wasn't worth paying $700 to keep my unlimited data.

Does the unlimited trick still work for ATT? Lol

4. mreg376
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Well at least there's one of you...