Has IOS4 been a bit of a fizzer for 3G owners?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OrangeDog, Jun 21, 2010.

1. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

Has IOS4 been a bit of a fizzer for us 3G owners?

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

+1

As far as iOS4, I haven't downloaded it for my 3G and don't plan to. It's pretty slow already and I don't want it to get any slower, so I'm skipping it. I'm plenty happy on 3.1.2 as it is right now until I can afford to buy the iPhone 4.

4. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i most definitely have not been represented on any ios 4.0/3g combination!

5. OrangeDog thread starter macrumors 6502

A fizzer is something that you had a higher expection of and it let you down.

Like lighting a firecracker and it expecting it to go BOOM and it only fizzers.

It's a quite common term in Australia, looks like it's not in America.

6. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

7. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Considering the first time I get to play with iOS4 is with my iPhone 4, yes. I can't get the stupid thing to download for my 3G.

8. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

From what I have read, it seems to be not worth it from 3G users especially if you are getting an iPhone 4 in 3 days. Also, I jailbroke my iphone and I don't feel like losing it.

ChrisN

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not upgrading, I'd rather play with it when I get my new phone Thurs. From what I hear though, it's not great.

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

People are complaining about the lack of multitasking and wallpaper. It happens with every OS release.
    If you're willing to look past that, upgrading to iOS4 is worth your time. There are plenty OTHER features that 3G users will benefit from, mail, spellcheck, folders, iBooks, etc.
    I'm planning on upgrading my gf's 3G tomorrow. Everything went SMOOTH on my 3GS.

11. galahan macrumors member

What were you expecting that didn't materialize?
    4.0 was a fizzer to me when they launched it, so I wasn't expecting much from it. Install is in progress but low expectations are easy to meet.

12. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Apple are geniuses... they release iOS4 days before the new iPhone and all the 3G owners upgrade just to realize that (1) it's slow as hell and it's your phones fault; and (2) you can't downgrade.

What to do? Go buy a new iPhone 4 that conveniently gets released a few days later when that user wanted to wait another year.

I don't really care, was going to get the new iPhone anyway and have yet to update my 3G to 4.0 (and probably won't).

13. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

^ lol
    Pretty much. I hate iOS4 on my 3G.

I also dropped it for the first time today. :( I made it almost a full two years with no accidents. I said bad words when it fell. :mad:

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

LOL. I called them a fizzle or a fizzler. Close, but no koala.

Anyway, I updated our on-call iPhone 3G to iOS 4 and to be honest I had to look hard to find any differences. I went back and referenced the new features to figure out if it had upgraded besides looking at the reported version number. I'm gonna go with fizzer. Now on to a 3GS...

Also, when Apple says to not disconnect during an upgrade, they mean it. I knocked it onto the floor during the upgrade and it took me about an hour to recover with the availability of the server today.

15. Nexus4144 macrumors member

yeah, im pretty pissed at apple for not allowing the full iOS onto the 3G. But i dont really care since im jailbroken. Ive had folders, "multitasking" and almost everything in the update for a very long time now

16. awestruck macrumors regular

I'm not downloading it. With the complaints of download time and glitch issues, plus I have my iP4 on the way, so I'm ok for now.

17. BladeLWS macrumors member

os4 actually sped up my 3G so I'm liking it so far... although I won't be using it in three days.. :D

18. bahooki macrumors regular

I call it a chazzwazzah.

Anyhooooo, I put the update on my 3G and I now wish I hadn't. What used to be a dreadfully slow phone that suffered framerate drops playing a simple game of solitaire is now even worse. Fortunately it gets sold thursday and replaced with an i4. I also put it on a 2G Touch and I find it laughable that Apple couldn't figure out a way to make wallpapers work. Software geniuses? Yeah right. Otherwise it's pretty good, but iBooks is just a dog.

19. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

lighten up, just kidding around! :)

20. rritterson macrumors 6502

My phone got much quicker after updating... I was afraid based on all the 'it's a lot slower!' comments, but mine seems to have bucked the trend. Of course, it seems to have broken contact sync'ing with MobileMe (calendars and bookmarks are fine, annoyingly)

Plus, you get a new baseband and new (in the US anyway) carrier settings file, which could make for better signal and fewer dropped calls.

21. OrangeDog thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL I am.....I just didn't want to be a fizzer so I explained the term :D

22. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

The new update made my 3G super snappier! Everything is much faster. Alas, not a lot of new features. One big one is the folders...that’s about it.

23. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

A fizzer? Well, my download/upgrade of my 3G to iOS4 or whatever has taken almost the entire afternoon and I finally had to bail on it prior to synching up my music/videos. So only been playing with it for a few minutes.

Thus far, my 3G is running a LOT faster than it was but that could be because my memory isn't as full. I dunno, we'll see I guess.

I hope a jailbreak comes along for this version so I can turn it into an iOS4 iPod Touch like I did with my old 2G.

24. OrangeDog thread starter macrumors 6502

Isn't it already jailbroken?

25. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I've read that it had been, but haven't seen a release for it anywhere.