Has it been confirmed that the new MBP runs hotter than the new MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MontrealMonger, Oct 24, 2008.

1. MontrealMonger macrumors member

It seems the new MB`s barely even get warm under full load. How do the new MBP`s compare?

2. magallanes macrumors regular

Must be, since the mb uses the cold 9400m gt and the mbp came with the "oven" 9600m gt.

but im not sure who runs warm if both are compared using the same gpu(mbp running in "9400m gt mode").

3. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

cpu's and graphics heat

I really want to know and am surprised that no one has posted heat comparisons tween the macbooks etc old and new.

In fact is there a heat difference in CPU's tween the higher and lower models?

The 2.53 unit may be an overclocked cpu hence more heat,
    can anyone put me onthe right directions to get the info?

4. ant7783 macrumors member

I noticed this the other day when holding them both my new Macbook Pro runs a little bit hotter than my brothers new Macbook

I have not ran the temps on both systems yet though

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

"Overclocked" isn't really the right term. It's a different part, and would've been higher-binned. 2.53Ghz is it's stock setting. That said, it probably does run a bit hotter, that's just the way these things work.

Some average temps from my own machine (never spent any real time with the new MB or the old MBP, so can't offer anything up there)

Idle, 9400M

CPU 40-45C (a little cooler if it's on a table in a cool room)
    GPU 40-45C
    Northbridge 38C
    Enclosure Base 26C*

Idle 9600M GT

CPU ~50C
    GPU Diode** ~57C
    Northbridge ~50C

Minor Load (iTunes encoding), 9400M

CPU 58C
    GPU 50C
    Northbridge ~48C

Heavy Load(Cinebench Multi-CPU render), 9400M

CPU 70C
    GPU 50C
    Northbridge 55C

Heavy Load (Cinebench Multi-CPU render), 9600M GT

CPU - 80C
    GPU Diode - 77C
    Northbridge - 68C

*There are 3 sensors labled "Enclosure Base", all of which read within 1 degree of each other all the time, usually showing a temp around ~25-30C. Interestingly, they don't change much, even during the "Burn-in" Cinebench test with the 9600M GT. This leads me to believe they aren't actually reading the base, but more likely the underside of hte Logic board, as kind of an "Ambient temp" sensor, reading the temp of the air the cooler is "breathing in"

**There are 2 GPU core sensors. One, labeled "GPU" appears all the time, and I think it is the on-die sensor from the 9400M. The other, labeled "GPU Diode" only appears when the 9600M GT is switched on, and is apparently its on-die sensor. It seems the 9400M cannot be disabled due to being part of the Northbridge.

One last note: During all of this, the fans stayed at 2000RPM. A little shocking at first, but remember the max temp for these chips is over 100C, and the machine was not uncomfortable hot on the bottom, meaning there is little reason to slash battery life and silence by ramping up the fans, so I think this may be intentional, although if anyone else has gotten their fans to ramp automatically, I'd love to know what the temp was and what you were doing at the time. Also, repeating the final test (Cinebench w/9600) with the fans manually set to 3800rpm (~60%) drops temps across the board by about 10C. Haven't tried it with the fans at full.

6. MontrealMonger thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. Was the MBP running the 9400 or was it running the powerhouse discrete GPU? I`m very curious to know how the MBP fares heat-wise running the same 9400 as the MB.

7. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

Haha yeah the bottom of my MBP is running pretty hot. Like the temp I like to take showers... Meh earlier the cpu was reading kind of high. Now it has settled down to around 49 C.

This computer just makes me nervous.

8. Nik macrumors 6502a

That is quite remarkable!
    I think it is due to the CPU's lower TDP of 25 Watts, compared to the previous generation which had chips with a TDP of 35 Watts in it.

9. MontrealMonger thread starter macrumors member

Was that using the integrated 9400 or the dedicated gpu?

10. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

At first I was using the dedicated gpu and boy did it get hot. The bottom was pretty hot and the cpu was reading something pretty high. I think it was around 60 or something. When I switched the gpu to the 9400 it cooled down.

11. MontrealMonger thread starter macrumors member

Cool. I'm thinking I'll probably keep it on the 9400 unless heavy duty graphics handling is in order (if I get one).

12. fathom macrumors newbie

Actually, the 2.53 supposedly still has the 35 watt TDP. The 2.4Ghz is the 25 watt one.

13. jim.arrows macrumors regular

Nope, it's because MBPs are too stupid to kick up the fan speed to keep the temp at a reasonable level, hence why everyone downloads smc fan control so you can use it on your lap without burning yourself. Without SMC, my 2.2SR would routinely go to 160-170F when doing any kind of multimedia and the fan would just be sitting there at 2000 rpm.

14. tdk738 macrumors newbie

Any significant changes on MacBook Pros in Jan. 2009?

I am thinking of buying a Macbook Pro but have heard rumors that major changes are in the works for first quarter of 2009. Any word on this or should I buy now.?
    Also I have heard there are problems with video flickering on the new releases of MBP and won't be addressed until release of 10.5.3.

15. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Well while I was at the Apple store I ran istat pro on a few machines some were basically cool to the touch and some you could fry eggs on them. I found out that under the power management settings you can switch between the performance and batter saving modes. One turns on the 9600 GPU and those were the hot machines when I checked. So Istat pro reported an alarming 69 degree GPU temp on the 9600 running. On the 9400 it was a mer 31 degree GPU temp. I was like wow.

16. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

No flickering video here and I doubt any major changes will occur for some time. I would not look for any significant changes until Nehalem is released which Intel is targeting for Q3-Q4 '09. Until then Intel plans a speed bump at the first of the year. That's it for processors. As far as chassis design changes that isn't happening for a very long time. Look how long the previous rev MBPs lasted.

17. tdk738 macrumors newbie

What about larger solid state non-moving hard drives in 1st quarter '09? 250 or 320G

What about larger solid state non-moving hard drives for '09? say 250GB or 320GB

18. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

my mbp's cpu 2.4 is 44c without doing anything on 9400, is that ok?

19. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Errm... the market is up to 10.5.5 now?:confused:

20. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yep. That's about normal.

21. joystik macrumors member

My friends have both the new mb and mbp. The mb seems to stay cool for a very long time.. i was really surprised. The Mbp heated up after about 5-10 minutes of photoshop...