Has my iPhone been hacked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kensingtonmac2, Dec 26, 2011.

1. kensingtonmac2 macrumors newbie

Hello,

My iPhone 4Gs 64GB has been playing up for the last 2 or so weeks. When I go from wi-fi to 3G my internet or SMSs do not work; when someone tries to call me, the iPhone doesn't ring and comes up as a missed call.

Because of this I decided to reinstall iOS 5.0.1. I forgot to do a backup so I had to restore from iCloud to retrieve my photos. Once restored, it asked for all the Apple IDs associated to the phone (I use three apple IDs to download my apps). Funny enough, a fourth email popped up - I don't own this email and I don't know the individual who owns the email (I facebooked them and they live in the same city as I do).

No, none of my friends have installed apps on my phones, and I am the only one that touches my phone.

Is it at all possible that my iPhone has somehow been hacked? I will be changing all my passwords etc.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

iPhone 4GS when was that relesed ? :confused: not hacked but maybe somebody guessed you password. I'd change you account password and have the email address removed in your preferences. I would have done this before I even asked about it.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

For reasons like these are why my password is 12 characters long, with a mixture of upper/lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

It may be extreme, but when these devices hold so much personal information (and sometimes linked to our credit cards), something the extreme is required.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

agreed most people simply use there kids name or wifes or pets or 123456 People get clues too passwords off facebook etc. Like I said I would change my password asap if he has your email and password he can buy from the itunes store.

5. kensingtonmac2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha "4Gs", I thought it sounded odd when I was typing it. Way to make myself sound like a noob.

You're suggesting that someone has guessed my password. My password for what? The phone? Like I mentioned in my original post, no one other than myself touches my phone, and I've never met the person whose email is listed. The password on my phone is not easy to guess.

And if they did guess a password to something else (e.g. my apple ID), how would that help them in using their personal email on my phone?

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

it won't help them on your phone but they would have access to all your purchased apps and be able to purchase in itunes as well. Sort of like me having access to your credit card # sure I don't have it in hand but I can still use it. Ok lets go with your theory you got hacked how does it Benefit them? Why not just change your account password at least to be safe?

7. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I think everyone is misunderstanding the OPs question. Someone else's appleID is popping up asking for a password, which means somehow an app was downloaded onto his iPhone with someone else's AppleID. I don't see how this can happen, quite frankly. The only explanation I can think of is if that person used your iPhone and downloaded an app. But since you said this didn't happen, I'm dumbfounded :confused:

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Serious question - have you downloaded music from the internet that is now on your phone?

I had this happen once, and I ended up figuring out it was because of an album I had downloaded that the uploader had bought from iTunes (since iTunes songs don't use DRM anymore).

9. kensingtonmac2, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

kensingtonmac2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, spot on!

Ivan P, I just looked at the person's Facebook account and noticed that they listen to similar music, so that could very well be the explanation. Haha pretty dodgy. Having said that, wouldn't I need their password to listen to the music? All my music plays fine....

10. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No, as was said, it's not DRM, anymore.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Or piracy. ;)

Some priated apps are tied to an AppleID account.

12. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

If when you boot up, there's a guy chasing a pineapple with a stick, then yes, you have been punked -

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

How do you put a 12 digit password on your iPhone? Doesn't it have to be a 4 digit? :eek:

14. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

In the "Settings" --> "General" --> "Passcode Lock" section, set "Simple Passcode" to "OFF".

Good luck. :)

15. girlwithcrazyex macrumors newbie

Yes my ex had access to my phone all the time and I had no PW then!!:)

16. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh dear god, people. I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about her Apple ID account being phished, not the 4-digit password to her screen lock. And I don't see how someone could "hack into" an iPhone via the internet. This has to do with the AppleID.

OP, if you've responded to any emails demanding you reset your password, stop doing that. Then remove the email you don't recognize from your AppleID account and contact Apple.

For whatever reason, password phishing is rampant on the App store. Shady developers are using people's accounts to artificially inflate their star rating on scam apps. Not sure why Apple hasn't been bothering to keep an eye on this when many of the apps are top sellers. Then again...

Reset your password with something that doesnt have to do with your personal info. :)

17. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

On re- read of your post, can I ask why on earth you're using three separate apple IDs?

And this has nothing to do with using their email on your phone; if your AppleID was compromised they're using the other email to access it.

If it's just been added because of a downloaded song, delete the songs you can't play without a password anyway. :)

18. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

OP, i've seen this happen 3 times. When i got my 4s, i had this happen. It popped up with my email asking for my iTunes password. I entered it and apps started downloading. Then my friends email popped up about 30 seconds later asking for a password. I have no clue why this happened, he's never use an apple id on my phone or iTunes, hell he doesn't even have an iPhone.

About a month later my fiance had to get her iPhone 4 replaced, same thing happened to her, except more than one email came up, but she didn't recognize any of the emails except one.

Then i had a mic problem on my 4s, so i had to get it replaced. Went it and it did the exact same thing, popping up other emails asking for their password.

In my opinion there was only one thing similar on all 3 accounts, i was restoring from an iCloud backup like you did.

could just be a bug in their iCloud backups, but in any case, i don't think your phone was hacked, because i know mine and my fiance's were not hacked.

19. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

I am with you. I use 10-12 characters with upper and lowercase. I also rotate them about every 4-5 months.