Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Im new to this forum and I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong section, but id like some answers if anyone could help me out.

I think someone may be, i guess you could say, spying on me on my mac pro? when i click on finder, theres a section on the left column that says "shared" and I'm assuming its sharing data to that network. Underneath the "shared" theres another computer and that network is called "escobar-think". I have absolutely no clue who's network that is. There are no usernames on this computer as escobar or anything related. Who could it be?

thanks

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It's not necessarily a "network". Other devices on your network that are setup to share things can appear under "SHARED" in Finder. This can include routers and other computers/devices.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Im new to this forum and I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong section, but id like some answers if anyone could help me out.

I think someone may be, i guess you could say, spying on me on my mac pro? when i click on finder, theres a section on the left column that says "shared" and I'm assuming its sharing data to that network. Underneath the "shared" theres another computer and that network is called "escobar-think". I have absolutely no clue who's network that is. There are no usernames on this computer as escobar or anything related. Who could it be?

thanks

It could possibly be a device of yours that's connected to the same network? For example, my HP printer shows up under "Shared" on my Mac. In the end, though, it doesn't mean you've been hacked - anything under "Shared" refers to another device on the same wireless network as you. It is possible for the device (or person using it, if it's a computer) to view your files, but it depends if you have File Sharing turned on and how strict your privacy settings are (for example, by default, only your Public folder can be viewed by other computers). In my opinion - nothing to worry about.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Go to system preferences -> Sharing.

If all boxes are unchecked there, you are not sharing anything. As the previous posters explained, what you are seeing are other laptops (usually other macbooks) in the area that have file sharing turned on.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Short answer, no you have not been hacked. And, only things put there would be shared. I had (still do actually) have a long string of characters under shared, and I realized it was my printer. If it bothers you, you can tell Finder to not show certain things in the sidebar under Preferences.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

thanks
That question has been asked countless times in this forum, and the answer turned out to be "No!" in 100% of the time. Your Mac has not been hacked. You're probably more likely to be hit by lightning... twice.... behind your left ear.... on a clear day with no clouds in the sky.

You're just seeing other devices that are visible. That doesn't mean you can access those devices and it doesn't mean they can access you or your network. Make sure you have your firewall enabled and your WiFi network is protected by a complex WPA2 password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.