has not having LTE not put you off buying the Iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Sep 15, 2012.

?

has not having LTE not put you off buying the Iphone 5?

1. Yes LTE is something I was looking forward to

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. No doesn't matter-the speed is more than quick enough or the new iphone

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. there are more important features to make me buy the Iphone 5

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Interested to see who who have bought theirs knowing they won't have LTE for quite a while unless you are from Orange or T-mobile. Even then if you don't live in one of those 16 areas you can't get it.

Does not having LTE matter to you?

2. Powrie macrumors 6502

Well in my area its supposed to be "Coming Soon".

And I know they are hiring people to climb the towers and make changes.

So I guess they are working on it and will have us up to LTE speed when they can.

3. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Nope, its coming in 2013 to my area. Plus I like the phone otherwise and my old android is ready to kick the bucket. Not stressing the LTE. Heck, my last phone was "4G" and that tech (WiMax) never got turned on, so in over two years I never used it once!

4. appswipe macrumors 6502

I preordered because i want the screen but may cancel. Im on Sprint and my city isnt listed on their phase one or two rollout schedule so that means the iPhone 5S/6 will probably be out before LTE (pending Sprint doesnt go out of business first).

5. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Even if you don't have LTE in your area yet, the fact that the battery life during 3G internet use has increased from 6 hours (4s) to now 8 hours (5) is reason enough to upgrade.

Not to mention the other improvements.

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

this is the thing though I barely use 3G as my main usage is on wifi but still would like to have LTE and even if I switched to EE with orange my city isn't even listed in the 4G spots. sucks really

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

DC-HDSPA/HSPA+ can be just as good as LTE in the UK so you're really not missing out on much.

8. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Really?

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

For the most part.

EE have quoted an average speed of 8-12Mbps for 4G on their website.

Three UK's HSPA+ speedtests will currently fetch you between 5-11Mbps depending on where you are.

In addition Three and O2 are already rolling out their DC-HSDPA service which can run up to 42Mbps. Which means double the current HSPA+ speeds on average i.e. 10-22Mbps.

Thats more than enough for anybody.

10. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

interesting

you have any idea on the speeds for vodafone in comparision?

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Sort of. I was ready to switch to Verizon since they had good LTE coverage everywhere I use it. And then the news about it not supporting voice and data simultaneously came out.

AT&T doesn't have LTE coverage in my area and likely won't for at least 5 years if their 3G expansion is anything to go by (a neighboring city didn't get 3G until a couple months ago...). Nothing else about the iPhone 5 made an upgrade seem worth it, so I'm just sticking with my 4S until the next iPhone (unless VZW announces VoLTE very soon).

12. Powrie macrumors 6502

LTE stands for Long Term Evolution.

Its the new standard for the Network.

If you dont have LTE yet. You will soon enough.

And it will be here for awhile.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Vodafone currently only have HSPA+ but not DC-HSDPA as far as i know, so similar speeds to Three HSPA+ depending on where you are.

14. rnizlek macrumors 6502

I was going to switch to Verizon for LTE until the whole thing came out about no simultaneous voice and data. Verizon has LTE here and AT&T does not - and they don't even hold any of the iPhone compatible LTE spectrum in this area. Ultimately, I wonder if they're just going to enter into an agreement with the local provider who does hold the spectrum - the provider is using it in most areas of the state to build out a rural broadband LTE network, however they have no stated plans to do it where I live (the only densely populated portion of the state). So either they will license or work with the spectrum holder to deploy LTE, or do it on another band that is not iPhone compatible, and hopefully the next iPhone will come with it.

Ultimately, I have a Verizon Mi-Fi with LTE, so if I really want LTE on the iPhone, I'm not too worried. But overall I'm satisfied with AT&T's service and am happy to stay with them. When it came down to it, I asked myself - what is LTE going to do for me? Do I really need faster speeds on the phone? Since I have the MiFi I can get them when I tether, which is the only time I really need them. I am, however, very interested in HD voice, so if the next iPhone supports it on VoLTE and AT&T doesn't have imminent plans to deploy it here, then I may consider jumping ship.

15. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I see thanks, I'm in the midlands so don't know how the speeds compare but generally i'm happy with them. Wifi is very quick for me which is my main usage so maybe i only badly want LTE because it is something new. I for the most part have 3G off as i don't use it anywhere near as much as wifi

and from the sounds 3G hours is up on the 5...as right now 3G kills my battery quite badly.

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If you're in the UK LTE shouldn't be the reason you're getting iPhone 5. EE's network is untested and the speeds they've quoted aren't all that remarkable. Plus HSPA+/DC-HSDPA can provide similar experiences to boot.

LTE won't really mature until next year when iPhone 6 will already be on its way and may support more Bands too.

The main reason to buy iPhone 5 is the screen, build quality, A6 chip, and you can easily afford it. Otherwise you're not really missing out if you're a 4S user.

17. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Good points

Be interesting if LTE ever comes to vodafone but yes those features you mentioned are far more important. more so when I barely use 3G as it is so not a big issue really.