Has Palin turned Obama into one of the "old men" overnight?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I needn't cover the huge build up to last night's formal introduction to Sarah Palin, nor the immense media coverage surrounding it all day today.

Though I was impressed with her speechmaking ability, if not her message, I think one thing is clear: she's bumped Obama off as the "cool, young guy" in this race and moved him firmly into McCain/Biden territory.

Even Obama's responses to media questions about Palin and her speech today (saying it was written by Bush's speechwriter, asking why she think community service makes one unfit to be president) though logical, play up the image of the "stodgy old man."

So what do you think? Agree or disagree?

2. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Disagree. It was a sneery speech filled with vitriol and little policy or forward looking statements. It did nothing to capture a vision for America. If she wants to be a stand-up comic, that's really cool. You keep listening to her though, and you'll get a clearer and clearer impression of how out of touch she is with the "youth" of America.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1vPYbRB7k
    http://irregulartimes.com/index.php...2008-at-masters-commission-of-wasilla-alaska/
    Good luck with that. Compare her iPod (if she has one) to the music of the youth of America. I'd predict a pretty big gap. If all Obama needed to do is make snide remarks to look "hip", I'm sure he could more than pull it off. I don't think that's where its at though. Not by a long shot.

~ CB

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would say No. Obama is smart fellow and I think anyone who looks at him will see that. Biden was a great choice.

Its clear we as a country are on the wrong path when its ok to spend billions on BS wars while bridges are falling down in the U.S. just one of a plethera of issues brought on by a republican president and a republican majority who let the president do anything and he let them do anything hence a trillion $$$ deficit and a war, a terror war and a cold war starting again. Palin will still have to answer for her party on this and many other steps backwards.
    Did I mention Oil & Energy?

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Last night Palin reminded me of nothing so much as one of those conniving, scheming soap opera babes that exists to make trouble for everybody else.

She's a character out of Desperate Housewives.

Definitely no Obama.

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

LOL. Ever wanted to know why?
    http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/2008/09/04/why-does-sarah-palins-biopic-sound-so-familiar/
    When I saw the biopic, that's exactly what I thought. I just assumed I was imagining things. Wait 'til licensing gets of whiff of it.

~ CB

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

This is my thirteenth time to vote in a presidential election. This is one of the very first times where there was somebody in the race who was actually an interesting person as a person. She's not just another empty suit politico.

Hubby's gotta be a pretty tough sumbitch to have done any commercial fishing in Alaska; his snowmobile deal also illustrates that he's no tame wimp. But she's managed to keep him home, nights, which a pretty good trick. She's managed to do the family thing with four kids, which is a tough chore. And even with that, get into politics.

A couple of Alaska guys on another board commented about the character/style/personality of Wasilla: "Being mayor there is like herding cats from mooseback."

Moose hunt? NRA? What's not to like? I know lots of folks who'd be envious of a lot of what she's managed to do with her life--and she's just a young thing.

And the teleprompter broke, very early in her speech.

Tough chick. Fun person. The debates oughta be fun...

:D, 'Rat

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Actually that didn't happen.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Joke post? Seems to me she's just as corrupt and back-stabbing as the rest of her party but she gets away with it because she's such a refreshing personality!

I found her speech insulting and, to me, she epitomizes everything I dislike about America and politics.

10. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Reality inevitably sets in and nannies lurk in the darkness where parenting is often alleged.
    http://www.usnews.com/blogs/robert-...the-sarah-palin-broken-teleprompter-myth.html
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/04/politics/animal/main4416267.shtml
    In a word: YES. Must... generate... folk-hero... must... make her... bigger... than life. The strongest Obama supporters are the ones who don't think he's the return of Jesus Christ. Likewise for McCain, Biden, or Palin. Sadly, McCain is often said to have been tortured for 5 1/5 years, but people are so respectful, and the topic so delicate, no one tries for accuracy even when it makes the detail no less great. It's the exaggerations that diminish us all. Leave the 'isms' to Chuck Norris and other non-political figures.

We're trying to elect a President here...
    Hopefully she can do more than talk-smack in a debate. She's going to have to bone-up on her geo-political history, constitutional law, and U.S. policy. We don't want her spouting conservative affirmations and yo-momma jokes in place of actual knowledge. That would be bad.

~ CB

11. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

But she's America's New Bad Girl™!

Eat her shorts!

12. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I can see her in a leather jacket on a Harley now. The Bad Girl of the GOP. Guns, Grins and Guts.

~ CB

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Obama's response to the thrashing he took from Palin on Wednesday night was pathetic. It appears that the Obama campaign is still trying to figure out how to go after Palin.

That doesn't mean he won't figure it out. I hear he's rounding up a posse of female surrogates to go after Palin with, but McCain's choice definitely rocked the Obama camp back on their heels. He's in real trouble if he doesn't put together an effective response.

That's all she has to do though. She can use personal insults against Obama and Biden in the debate and will get lauded for being able to stand her ground, and if Biden does anything approaching the same thing he'll be castigated for beating up on a girl.

I wouldn't expect anything substantive from Palin during the debate other that some facts she'll memorize from wikipedia beforehand. And she'll win the debate that way.

14. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Are you serious?

15. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

I expect she will talk smack, and I expect there will be a hosannah chorus of right-wing spinmeisters shouting "you go, girl!".

Obama has been a national political figure for four years, and he has been effectively running for president for two years. He has had PLENTY of exposure to the public and press. The Republicans pulled this one out of the woodwork, and we have six weeks to figure her out. They are going to do their best to create enough noise to drown out any of those uncomfortable "facts" that may pop up. You have to admire their deviousness, really.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

She likes guns = 'rat's full support.

17. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I totally do. It's just annoying when people act like they don't... or honestly don't see what's actually happening. The media row is one of the fallouts of the "risky" masterstroke of McCain's Hail Mary pass. They're pushing the planned defense strongly, and working towards having people confused enough to not notice until the last minute.

~ CB

18. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

All it's done is put his 'weaknesses' into perspective. It's taken away a point of attack, no matter how flimsy it was in the first place.

19. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Oh please. :rolleyes: Just because people don't see or believe the way you do it's annoying. Get ready for an eye opener when you hit the real world, you'll really be annoyed.

20. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Hey... I'm appreciating political strategy and savvy and I get bored waiting for the next chess move. If you think its all luck and happenstance, go right ahead. I won't be the one surprised though. 60 days for getting to know a longshot historical pick with high popularity ratings. Smart move. If you think everything that's currently happening with the media wasn't carefully predicted, manipulated, and discussed for "counter-moves", I'd say that's a bit silly. Having a plan doesn't mean it will work, but that doesn't make it any more fictional. Just my opinion.

~ CB

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually I was kind of amazed it was open to question. They kept cutting to shots of her throughout the speech that clearly showed words running up the screen.

22. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

A new article in San Francisco Chronicle agrees with your premise.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/06/BALU12OCMV.DTL

McCain's campaign clearly knows what its doing. I miss the old McCain's campaign. Why'd he have to fire them. Dammit. :eek:
    People wanted a conservative female hero, and now they're creating one in short order. I feel bad for those with disabled children who feel swayed by "an advocate in the White House" that they would overlook "universal healthcare". How awful.

All I know, is that as the ONLY book written on her on Amazon... THIS author is RICH:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sarah-Hockey-...d_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220797950&sr=8-1

Moreover, Palin's trying to get in there with some material too (only for Kindle!):
    http://www.amazon.com/SARAH-PALIN-I...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220797950&sr=8-2

~ CB

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My take is that the big Sarah Palin "buzz" is 25% reality, 25% Republican wishful thinking, and 50% media hype.

The Republicans are carefully controlling what this woman says. They are only letting her do prepared speeches on the campaign trail. They are not letting her talk to the media.

Unlike Barack Obama, Palin did not write her convention speech. It was in fact written by a Bush speechwriter, in such a way that it could be given by any Republican VP candidate. It was only later that the Palin-specific references were added. What this means is that the words were someone else's, and she just delivered them very well. In other words, she did the same thing an actor does.

There is a new negative story out about Palin every few days:

• The book banning issue
    • Troopergate
    • Creationism
    • The abstinence education
    • The flip-flop on the Bridge to Nowhere
    • The weasel-words about the plane and eBay
    • The $22M debt she left her town of Wasilla with
    • The attempt to thwart federal endangered species protection
    All this in just two weeks. :)

Frankly, those last two items remind me of Dubya. A lot. We were warned, clearly warned, by people living in Texas that Bush was gonna fight environmentalism and leave our economy in shambles, and gosh gee whiz, it's actually happened!

There is every reason to believe that at the pace these negative tidbits about Palin are revealing themselves, she will become as much a liability as an asset to the McCain campaign. The big liability, of course, is that if McCain dies, not only do we have an inexperienced person in the Oval Office, but one who in a number of ways looks even more like Bush than McCain does!

The biggest problem I see having to overcome is this idiotic, condescending victimhood the Republicans are adopting. [*innocent voice*]"You wouldn't pick on a woman, would you?"[/*innocent voice*] The very same people who mercilessly attacked Hillary Clinton are now claiming the biiiig baaaad media are picking on da poor widdle woman. (Is there a *barf* smiley?)

I think that in a VP debate, Joe Biden can make her look pretty foolish. If she tries any of that "I've got foreign experience because Alaska is next to Russia" crap, he's gonna be able to destroy her. (This morning the entire panel on ABC's This Week laughed heartily at that line because they know what a pathetic joke it is.)

But Biden will have to be skillful and careful. I do think he and all the rest of the Democratic surrogates should cut her down on the campaign trail every chance they get, since Barry seems unwilling to do so. But again, they will have to be careful, restrict themselves to the issues, and warn the public that the Republicans will play the "poor, poor me" card.

They do this right, the Palin pick can be what ends up sinking McCain's campaign, not making it.

24. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

By far, my biggest Palin concern is her leadership style. Very closed. Very Bush.

~ CB