macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
We’ll know soon enough. What’s clear is that the Kremlin has successfully acomplished the most impressive propaganda and intelligence operations ever seen, and are still at work doing their best to attack the EU as well, exploiting and enabling local divisions (Brexit, Catalonia independence, Front National). I’m willing to bet that we’ll find out soon that the Leave campaign had Russian money.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Yes, this was reported widely last night. Unsealing his plea with that label is a prosecutorial strategy to shake the tree. Let’s see if he had anything of value to give originally that was corroborated by the wire, or if he was able to dig anything up for Mueller.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
Yes, this was reported widely last night. Unsealing his plea with that label is a prosecutorial strategy to shake the tree. Let’s see if he had anything of value to give originally that was corroborated by the wire, or if he was able to dig anything up for Mueller.
I think making the Papadopoulos plea public had two purposes:

First, to set an example to everyone implicated: You can keep denying and hiding and end up Manafort and Gates and face decades in jail. Or you can spill now and end up like Papadopoulos, looking at a slap on the wrists and likely no jail.

Second, to pre-empt the right-wing propaganda machine and their trumped-up excuses and distractions that would surely come, and we are seeing now. The indictments look at lot realer when they are supported by actual confessions.

Zwopple

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
I think making the Papadopoulos plea public had two purposes:

First, to set an example to everyone implicated: You can keep denying and hiding and end up Manafort and Gates and face decades in jail. Or you can spill now and end up like Papadopoulos, looking at a slap on the wrists and likely no jail.

Second, to pre-empt the right-wing propaganda machine and their trumped-up excuses and distractions that would surely come, and we are seeing now. The indictments look at lot realer when they are supported by actual confessions.
The key is there's probably only a few more people that get a slap on the wrists. Typically in prosecutions like this the first few guilty pleas get the best deals.

Manafort and Gates may get a decent deal but I doubt they get a slap on the wrist deal.

This space is about to go dark for 4-6 months while Manafort and Gates and their lawyers decide how screwed they are based on seeing what Mueller has on them and if they are likely to spend the rest of their life in jail or if a guilty plea will spare them.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Hmm, I wonder if Trump junior was turned as well. Giving up secret service protection and being literally guilty of the same, I would think he would be pushed pretty hard and might have folded knowing that his Dad can get him off the hook with a pardon.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Zwopple

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
I doubt you’ll have to wait too long for more to come out. But it still won’t be like a TV show where it’s all over in a few days.
It'll take months, at a bare minimum probably 4-5 months before the next round unless Manafort/Gates flip immediately with highly incriminating material.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The key is there's probably only a few more people that get a slap on the wrists. Typically in prosecutions like this the first few guilty pleas get the best deals.

Manafort and Gates may get a decent deal but I doubt they get a slap on the wrist deal.

This space is about to go dark for 4-6 months while Manafort and Gates and their lawyers decide how screwed they are based on seeing what Mueller has on them and if they are likely to spend the rest of their life in jail or if a guilty plea will spare them.
They already pleaded not guilty IIRC. Getting a grand jury to charge isn't a very high bar vs actually prosecuting the case with an active defense.
[doublepost=1509485809][/doublepost]
That’s correct, which should make you wonder why Trump seems so nervous....
Probably just tired of the left drooling over any chance to nail him on something, anything, we've seen the end of his presidency according to Democrats at least 50 times since he started running.
[doublepost=1509485878][/doublepost]
Hmm, I wonder if Trump junior was turned as well. Giving up secret service protection and being literally guilty of the same, I would think he would be pushed pretty hard and might have folded knowing that his Dad can get him off the hook with a pardon.
Doubt it, loyalty is key.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
They already pleaded not guilty IIRC. Getting a grand jury to charge isn't a very high bar vs actually prosecuting the case with an active defense.
[doublepost=1509485809][/doublepost]

Probably just tired of the left drooling over any chance to nail him on something, anything, we've seen the end of his presidency according to Democrats at least 50 times since he started running.
[doublepost=1509485878][/doublepost]

Doubt it, loyalty is key.
No honour amongst thieves

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I’ve only seen Republicans saying that Democrats are saying that.
Shhh... He keeps speaking for Democrats & the left, without actually talking to any. It makes him feel better. After all it's not like the right or the Republicans didn't say for 4 years the previous guy would be a 1 term president.

Democrats & the left can be so mean! :mad:

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Right, the prosecuting team suggested he did. Whether that's true or not is something we'll eventually find out. As @Gutwrench stated, it's meant to cast doubt on how clean the rest of the unnamed are and shake their core. However, I don't believe George would have been able to wear the wire at 1600.