Has President Obama appointed a fox to guard the Social Security henhouse?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, May 11, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-blahous-trustee-20160509-snap-story.html

Article has more.

Why would Obama pick yet another Republican from the George W Bush #43 era? The same reasons he kept Geithner?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Obama has been continuing Bush policies all along. It just makes for better headlines for the media to pretend that he is a far leftist.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think its worth pointing out that prior to the rise of the Tea Party, there was a substantial portion of the Republican establishment that, while generally conservative politically, was also rational, professional, and responsible. It was a wing of the Republican party that was open to compromise; that listened to scientists; and governed with the best interests of the country at heart.

I miss that sector of the Republican Party. I hope that, somewhere, it still exists.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The second he put together that Blue Ribbon panel we knew he had no interest in actually supporting Social Security.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think they are still around, just the fringes drown them out.I'd mentioned in another thread that one of the problems with our political system is that the discourse has been reduced to memes and 30 second soundbites. You don't have enough space in either of those formats to explain a compromise so it looks like they are giving in to the enemy. Find a way to get people on both sides to listen to the issues, and you'll start seeing compromise come back.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

They may be around. But they are an endangered, rare species. They get witheringly referred to as "RINOs" on Fox News, talk radio, and the rest of the conservative media echo chamber. They face primary challenges - ones they usually lose, and usually to unqualified whackjobs.

I've heard more than a few Republicans boast that they are "the most" conservative candidate in the field. Without anyone questioning if such a position was necessarily a wise one.

The end result is Donald Trump at the top of the Republican ticket this fall. Not because he is particularly Conservative - but because he slipped between the perceived squishiness of candidates like Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio - and the terrifying prospect of "pure" Conservatives like Ted Cruz and Ben Carson.

I think its more than likely that the Republicans will receive a well-deserved electoral thumping this fall. And I think its more than probable that they will end up drawing precisely the wrong lessons from that defeat, as they have the last couple of Presidential Elections.

The United States may very well have to endure a decade or two more legislative and governmental gridlock, with Democratic Presidents dealing with endless legislative obstructionism with no hope of compromise; their administrations battling incessant Congressional inquiries and baseless manufactured scandals. Until eventually the forces of mortality and demographics finally topple the gerrymandered monstrosity of House seats constructed upon the ashes of the Confederacy and the Reagan Revolution.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Around, yes, but I think they belong on the endangered species list. I was one of them, or a northeast Republican, until the party went all bat **** crazy. A few left like Susan Collins.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Because the fact that he's a republican should immediately disqualify him. It is that thought processes that has crippled Washington.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Personally, I like to see both parties working together. Rubio also reached out to Democrats when Republicans owned both houses in Florida, it's one of my biggest draws to him. The reality is we need our leaders to unite on these things.