iPad mini Has the new batch of iPad Mini with retina. fixed the color accuracy problem ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jan 24, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Like the washed out pinks and purples? Compared to ipad air

2. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I wouldn't expect this to change until the next gen model. Overall I'm very happy with my rMini, but I understand that's not the same for everyone.

3. DBZmusicboy01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But every ipad air has the same exact display quality or different makers of the display?

4. brent1977 macrumors regular

The limited color reproduction of the Mini (both Retina and original) displays is a technical limitation of the LCDs used. It's not a defect that will be resolved.

5. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

If your concerned about getting a bad unit, you have two options:

1. Buy several iPad Airs or rMinis, whatever you prefer at once, and return the bad ones.

2. Wait until the iPad 6 comes out. :D

6. brent1977 macrumors regular

If I understand the OP's question, it pertains to the reduced color reproduction capability of the Mini display rather than any of the defects/issues (color shifts, IR, dead pixels, etc.).

All Mini displays have the reduced color reproduction. It's simply a limitation of the LCD panels used. It doesn't matter how many units are purchased, the OP will not get a Mini with the full color reproduction of the Air.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Exactly. I got a Mini this week and I compared it to my iPad Air. I really like the mini, but the screen difference to the Air makes me want to keep the Air instead of the Mini, even if I like the small form factor of the mini...

8. Angler, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

Angler macrumors regular

I have both, you would never be bothered by the mini screen unless you compared it to the air. If you like the form factor buy it the screen is very nice. People need a life on this forum at times.....

9. brhume macrumors member

Again, I agree with Angler... ;-)

FYI:

There is two providers of rMini screens.

One that have vibrant/uniform colors, but may suffer from IR - at various levels.

Another where colors look more "washed", has no IR, but may suffer of the uneven/yellowish/blueish tints across the screen - at various levels.

One is LG, other is Sharp.

Maybe this will change if Samsung get into the dance again...

I've the first type, and colors looks nearly as good/vibrant as on my iPad 3. Not washed out at all... Even if the iPad 3 has obviously a better gamut...

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Is there any way to find out what is inside our Minis?

11. brent1977 macrumors regular

Now I'm confused. So you mean that not only do all Minis have reduced color reproduction, but some panels are worse in that regard than others?

I don't think I had seen anyone report that issue, before. Have you seen both types in person? If so, is the difference significant?

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

It's a deliberated defect/limitation. So I doubt there will be any fix for it anytime soon.

Maybe next gen Mini. Or not.

Nevertheless I have no regret choosing the Air over the Mini. Display is great and among the best for a tablet. Even far over Mini.

13. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Apparently nobody grasps the fact that Apple wants you to spend more $$$ for a better screen.

14. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

I saw both the iPad Air and rMini screens at Best Buy today and I would not have a problem with either. They both looked great.

16. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I had the Air first, and then exchanged it for the rMini. Yes, the colors on the Air are somewhat more vibrant, almost too much so. The colors on my rMini are a little less intense, but often more natural (in my opinion). The screen on my rMini looks great, the colors are bright and text is super-sharp. I'm 100% happy with the display on my rMini.

17. brhume macrumors member

Let me precise: it's just a personnal opinion deducted from my readings.

It's a fact that there is two types of screen (Sharp and LG).

I never saw the one subject to uneven tint, but a lot of people seems also to complain of somewhat "muted" colors on these.

Mine rMini as crisp/vibrant/uniform colors not "muted" at all, and in real life use it looks as great as my iPad 3. The gamut (color reproduction space) may be lesser on the rMini, and when I put the two devices side by side and do some visual testing, indeed some iPad 3 colors are more saturated, but the rMini ones look more natural...

For me, there is no color accuracy problem on my rMini; again a non-issue. This display looks great...

Now if you are a pro photographer, maybe you've to pecisely measure the gamut and color reproduction accuracy to know if it's ok for you...

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People complain about the color accuracy yet I think the majority of consumers who buy them are not pixel peeping look for perfect images. I myself find the color accuracy to be fine - just my $.02

19. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It might be ok for you, but many people who have seen an IPad Air can see the obvious difference in quality. The Mini is certainly a great device, but its screen is not good.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its mostly personal preference, if you think its not a good screen then you'll be better off with a different tablet, for me and presumably with the many others who bought them (I have no idea how many minis have been sold) its a great tablet.

21. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I actually have both iPads here and I am trying to decide which one I should keep. The Air has a great display, and the mini has a great ppi, that leads to better text sharpness. The mini also has better portability and can be easier to hold with one hand.
    The Air on the other hand offers more screen estate.
    Actually I need something to complement my MacBook Air when traveling. Decisions...

22. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I think the retina. Mini is the best tablet I have ever seen or used. The colors are amazing, bright and even after a month, this thing still makes me sit back and stare at the pictures it displays sometimes.

If people listened to half the people on this site, no one would ever buy an iPad. They complain about the imperfect nor screens! imperfect retina Mini screens and supposedly, there has never been a screen on an iPad worth owning.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been using the Mini and now the rMini pretty exclusively, so when I picked up an air last week at Staples, it felt awkwardly large :eek: I've gotten so used to the smaller form factor the larger iPad felt too big.

With that said, if you like the larger screen then by all means, the Air is a great tablet

24. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Look, I have both devices here and there is no comparison. I am not saying that the Mini has a bad display, it is unfortunately not as good as the one of the Air. The color gamut is not good and many publications have measured that.
    I might keep the Mini instead of the Air, despite the less quality screen on the Air, but if I didn't have a laptop, I wouldn't buy a Mini and I would keep my Air.