Has the UK changed it's tune on US extradition.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Happybunny, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Happybunny, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

2. m00min macrumors 6502

I do hope our government has finally stopped bending over for the US, it was frankly embarrassing. This guy shouldn't even have to travel over there to ratify anything, since a quick look on Google confirms they too host links to pirated material, there's no case for him to answer.

Dear the US, please stop acting like the world's police, you have no claim to any moral high ground.

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

Then when the US doesn't act....

"wtf America? Where were you when this happened? Why didn't you take a leading role in bombing Ghadaffi? Why don't you stand up to Iran and NK? Why don't you fix this issue"

etc etc etc.

It's tiring.

4. Happybunny, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

5. m00min macrumors 6502

Well none of us should be going into any of the above places, unless we're the ones being threatened. Nothing good ever comes of it. Maybe if the west had kept out of the Middle East for the last 60 or so years they wouldn't hate us quite so much.

Do I feel any safer since we've gone into Afghanistan or Iraq? No. Not our job, or our business.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its not about making the world safe is it? Its about religion and oil under the guise of world security, and we all know the US gets a total stiffy for both of those :D

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They undoubtedly get an derrick from oil, but religion is the complication that might keep them from their slick wet dream.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Yeah, right. The extradition laws are made by UK MP's elected by UK voters. I am going to lose it if I hear one more person in the UK blame the US for the UK's mess. :mad:

By the way, in case you can't read, the extradition treaty with the US works both ways. There is a fact sheet on the extradition treaty. I expect it will be dismissed out of hand because it is published by the US government, but it would be refreshing if people checked to see if the information it provides is actually true before condemning it as propaganda.

9. m00min macrumors 6502

I have never voted for anyone "in government" due to our ridiculous first past the post system, I live in a safe Conservative seat so my vote has never counted.

Most of the mess is caused by the US demanding people be shipped over for nothing more than hosting a link to a website. FFS they need to get a grip.

It's widely know that the current extradition treaty is biased in favour of the US. Maybe you should learn to read something a little less biased than government (that applies to any government BTW) marketing twaddle.

10. VulchR, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

So ... To summarise: You can't be bothered to vote but you feel entitled to whine. And you prefer unsubstantiated opinion to facts. EDIT: I made a mistake and jumped to conclusions. My apologies to m00min for being a prat. :eek:

The problem with the UK is that people are politically inactive and don't educate themselves. The US has nothing to do with that. Just sayin'.

11. m00min macrumors 6502

Ok, so I'm guessing you're the one who can't read. Where did I say I didn't vote? I said I didn't vote for the eventual winner in my constituency.

If you're going to summarise at least get your facts straight, you'll look less like a plonker.

12. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Many European countries have it in their constitution that they may not extradite their own citizens.

They try crimes committed abroad as if they had happened in that country. That's probably how Roman Polanski got away in France :p

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Apologies. :eek::eek::eek: I had assumed that since Labour, The Lib Dems and the Conservatives have all been in power in the past decade that you implied that you did not vote. Thus, I am sincerely sorry for misrepresenting your views.

However, I still stand by my statement about facts versus prejudice with regard to the UK-US extradition treaty and also that one cannot blame a country that is across the Atlantic for local political issues. The UK can always repeal the extradition treaty, provided voters in the UK express their wish to do so through the election of MP's. The extradition treaty is a UK issue, not a US issue.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Couple of good decisions but I don't see any genuine political will to change the procedure.

Not necessarily against extradition if the agreements are with countries with decent human right's records (certainly not the US) and the procedure allowed for a full and proper trial in the UK beforehand to determine guilt.

15. m00min macrumors 6502

Ah, no problem. Sorry for flying off the hook a bit. I can see your point about the UK government being the ones I should be blaming for the situation. It's very frustrating that the UK government seem quite happy to sell its own people down the river, they are all too happy to sidle up to the US government, who seem to be only too happy to exploit the general suck-up-ness displayed by the UK gov. All rather frustrating.