Has there been any hardware leaked that shows possible NFC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brinycbri, Aug 23, 2012.

1. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

I would think that with all the hardware that has been leaked, one could see or hypothesize that the new iphone would have NFC. But NFC has been a pure rumor. Or am I wrong? Thanks

2. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty curious about this myself. With Passbook in the next iOS, NFC seems like a must. But alas, it hasn't been the focus of many rumors.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

5. TSX, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I say no, because the iPhone 5 is last years prototype and with the leaks of the motherboard no ones noticed anything new on it. Unless apples comes up with it or it's an industry standard I don't see it coming, kinda like no blu ray on the macs.

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

This isn't an opinion, it's a yes or no question. And the answer is no.

There is a software hint in iOS 6 (passbook) and the two toned back of the leaked design has a lot of people thinking it is for NFC. But there have been no actual leaks that imply NFC. Personally, I think the two tone back is just a (poor) aesthetic choice. You don't have to do such a thing to carry NFC on a device, for example: every device that uses NFC currently.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Which means that it likely has nothing to do with NFC.
    And it's likely not just aesthetics either.
    It's just a clean and simple way to achieve an essentially metal unibody phone without hindering radio/signal transmission.
    Yes, they could have tried color matching the plastic and the metal but it would never be a true match and people would still be complaining.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

To put it into perspective, the iPhone 3G was nothing more than a case redesign along with 3G and A-GPS.

No reason why Apple isn't doing the same with the new iPhone (case redesign and LTE) and saving the juicy stuff for next year's refresh, which will retain the two tone design. They rarely put all their eggs in one basket.

9. gta50419 macrumors 6502

nope, that'll get shown shown when the real iphone 5 hardware leak;)

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

just to mimic what others said, I think they will hold out on NFC until the "5S". They will get enough people to upgrade to the 5 with just LTE and a longer screen. If they want people to jump to the 5S, NFC will be the 4S's Siri

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I agree. It seems like the "S" updates always get the features and the actual speed bump.

12. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

iPhone 4 got that all.

13. irDigital0l Guest

If you look at the history...

iPhone 4 - FaceTime

iPhone 4S - FaceTime with cellular

iPhone 5 - FaceTime HD

--------

Think it will be similar for NFC...

iPhone 5 - Passbook

iPhone 6 - NFC

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

that is the weirdest analogy and totally skips the "5S". some of the features you listed are phone specific others depend on the OS. Siri is a better comparision b.c it is phone specific.

4 - no siri
    4S - Siri

5- no NFC
    5S- NFC

15. irDigital0l Guest

Siri is actually OS not hardware

Passbook is OS, NFC is hardware

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

really? I thought Siri was not available on the iphone4 running the same OS as the 4S....not really a hardware feature, but phone model restricted. Facetime on celluar is not only for the 4S is it? If so, my mistake...if not, then what i said makes sense in relation to the feature being available on certain phone models.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I haven't seen any evidence that NFC will be on the next iPhone.

18. irDigital0l Guest

Apple originally tested Siri on the iPhone 4. I'm not sure if the iPhone 4S has an improved mic or what, but if so then yea it might have been hardware, but I doubt it.

As for FaceTime over cellular, its for iPhone 4S/iPad 3 and newer.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Actually, Siri is hardware too. The 4S is said to have an improved microphone that's better at tuning out background noise for Siri.

20. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I for one am totally for No Fat Chicks on the iPhone.

I know thats not everyone's opinion, but they just don't do it for me.

As for the Near Field Communications, I'm extremely leery on this. With reading about how much easier it is to steal the data as compared to credit cards, I don't see much good as compared to using credit cards.

22. irDigital0l Guest

Yea for Android phones...

Google seems to be trying to solve this issue by creating a committee of the top credit card companies and services to try to get a standard.

Funny thing is that Square and Apple chose not to join.

But I agree, I just don't see NFC being matured enough yet, I was reading an article on Times about NFC and half of the time it doesn't even work, employees don't know how it works, the machines somtimes work work, customers don't even know about it, hackers can steal info, its only used in a few countries and thats not even in most major cities, etc.

Overall, I think its wise for Apple to get its head into pre NFC with Passbook.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Got a link to that article? Thanks!

My married kids in Florida use NFC all the time. Gas, fast food, Home Depot, pharmacy, etc. They love it.

24. irDigital0l, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

irDigital0l Guest

I have the print edition and it just happens that the latest one was about tech.

Searched TIME's website and it just gives you a measly preview so let me just summarize it from my print.

Basically the article was taking about Google Wallet through a field test, how they tried it at a bunch of places to see if it works.

-Home Depot, they tried to buy a plastic chair using Google Wallet but the NFC machine was broken

-San Francisco Giants Game, he couldn't get his Google Wallet to work

-Jamba Juice: Google Wallet app crashes, cashier doesn't know how the actual machine works turns out

-Gas station: Everything works expect that you still have to go into the gas station to pay with NFC, you might as well just use cash then

-Food cart: The guy says Pay with Square is popular with his customers but he still has a large jar full of tips

-Radioshack and a liquor store managed to work fine though. lol

25. fs454 macrumors 65816

This doesn't really make sense as Passbook is not a feature exclusive to the upcoming iPhone.