Has this country ever been more polarized?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by HyperX13, Aug 1, 2012.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

This country is extremely polarized! What other president has polarized this country so much? If there is a reason to vote Obama out, this is a big one!

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The country is quite polarized.

However, in ~1860 we went to war against ourselves over our differences.

So IMO, the current climate does not measure up to that standard.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I'd say we were just as polarized if not moreso, when we had Bush. Obama just brought out the racist polarization.

4. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Yeah, damn obama for creating the polarisation effect on people! :D

5. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

A politician can not make people Polarized. They can only bring out emotions and cultural tensions lying under the surface.

6. chrono1081, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

OP if you want to talk about polarization look at Mitt Romney and friends who consistently want to trample the rights of others and are using hatred and bigotry as campaign drivers.

EDIT: Incase anyone isn't clear, anti-gay rights is what I am speaking of.

7. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

If you want to drop accusations like this at least, link to some examples so people know what you are talking about.

8. myrtlebee, Aug 1, 2012

myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

If you think polarization is because of any president, you are fooling yourself. Obama is merely a catalyst for both sides of something much larger. We are grappling with deep-rooted issues that have never been resolved but merely patched up or swept under the rug.

Have you ever heard of a little thing called the American Civil War? I assume you know about antebellum American history, right? How could anyone ask if this country has ever been more polarized? Come on now, don't be foolish- of course it has.

BUT...

Regarding the modern era, post Reconstruction, I could see how one would consider this a precursor to a boiling point, though not as drastic as the one I previously mentioned. I have been warning people for years that I have seen some unnerving parallels to the antebellum period. Maybe it is my paranoia being an active scholar of American culture in history (as well as a direct descendant of a Civil War private) - these things being in the front of my mind day in and day out.

This is an era of extreme polarization. The conflicts of the past persist and none have been resolved. Racial tensions. Economic disparity. Religious conflict. (Or what I like to call "the big three") Constitutional interpretation. States' rights. Women's rights. Abortion. Gay marriage. This country is vast and diverse - sometimes too much for its own good. It is hard to unite under such conditions when people are bombarded daily with these topics and constantly spurred to confront and defend, whether warranted or not, by the media and politicians.

Regional identity is becoming scarily black and white. Our states are bleeding the deepest red or freezing the deepest blue. The extremes are taking over and turning regions against regions, Americans against Americans. While we may not see a literal Civil War in the near future, we must not fool ouselves into thinking we are above a defining conflict. We are neither too modern, civilized, or pious for such an event. Something is boiling and there will be a breaking point if this coalescing continues and we separate into two separate entities with two concrete and opposite views on nearly every topic. The only way to bridge this gap is compromise, but the two cannot even agree to that. It's all or nothing for both sides and that just can't be if we are to remain a peaceful people in a united land.

I've only just skimmed the surface of my thoughts about this, but seeing as I know no one here personally, I will shut up, but it has to be at least mentioned. People need to think about this and do some self-checking. Open yourself to compromise. I don't know, I could be way off (although I doubt it), but something has got to give. I just see too many parallels with the 1850s / 60s. So much is unresolved, the tension is high, and you can't keep squeezing a balloon and not expect it to pop eventually. I am worried about this November, no matter what the outcome on Election Day, I feel something toxic brewing.

9. chrono1081, Aug 1, 2012

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Anti-gay rights from Romney and co-horts was what I was referring to.

10. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Obama hasn't done anything to polarize the country. The country did it itself. You hear about Obama taking everyone's guns, when in reality Obama has done nothing about gun laws, other than sign a bill that legalizes gun carry in national parks. You hear about death panels, when they were completely made up by Sarah Palin of all people. (Why they had a lasting effect on the debate when it originated from Sarah Palin is beyond any reason.) Then you hear things like Obama's a Muslim, Obama was born wherever, etc.

Not sure if this is anything new, might just because we're far more connected than ever thanks to the Internet, so we hear about these things constantly.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's Obama's fault that sexual discrimination is no longer in favor?

:confused:

Good for him ... I guess.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No its that Romney has said multiple times he's against gay rights.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sorry. I was confused.

A post that says simply "Anti gay rights" is a bit ambiguous.

14. JBazz macrumors 6502

Please pick up a history book. What we are experiencing is pale in comparison to the '60s and '70s. Not to mention prior eras.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Sorry I clarified it :D It was quoted from part of another quote.

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I think your vacant-eyed, empty-skulled, woefully irresponsible and absurdly incompetent 24-hour news cycle has more to do with a polarized nation than any one politician, or any one handful of politicians, for that matter. When a comedy show represents one of the most informed and responsible media outlets in a country you have a very serious problem.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ironic considering the comments you made against gays earlier. People are only polarized if they allow themselves to be. If everyone would leave everyone else alone and just live their OWN lives, we wouldn't have a problem. But because some busy bodies think they need to involved themselves in who marries who, and what a women does with her baby (I mean come on..are we going to force women to give birth? Really?), and what religion is "right" vs. wrong etc. etc. we start getting into horrible conflicts.

Everyone should butt out of other people's lives. If all humans practiced this, we could avoid most conflicts on this planet and maybe even a fair number of wars as well.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yeah, because it's Obama's fault half the country is still racist. :rolleyes:

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I don't think that it's just the USA that has become more polarized. If I look at all the major countries of Europe I see far more polarization than 20 years ago.

20. localoid, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Speaking of polarization of the bloodletting kind: Let's not forget the labor unrest the country experienced after the Civil War's end through the 1940s. The major labor riots in which death and injured occurred are covered in An Eclectic List of Events in U.S. Labor History. It's really just in recent times that the bloodletting ceased.

The Battle of Blair Mountain was probably the largest armed conflict during the period. Three counties in W.Va. were in open rebellion as 10,000 armed coal miners confronted 3,000 lawmen and strikebreakers assisted by United States Army. Fighter plances of the Army Air Corps and an armored train equipped with machine guns were dispatched against the miners and much of the state ended up under military rule. Between 80-130 died and many hundreds more injured during the five-day battle.

21. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I'm not a supporter of of the President's policies, but the reason so many people on either end of the spectrum don't get along is not his fault. It's ours.

Sure we could point to the deterioration of cable news, with a partisan spin on everything and a constant barrage of people on either end yelling at one another. Or we could talk about the increased polarizing rhetoric of our elected officials. But, at the end of the day, this falls on the people. We are the ones that allow ourselves to deal in absolutes, that someone with a differing opinion is dead wrong and concurrently the scum of the earth. We are largely not a society that is open to debate. When we disagree with someone we generally get red faced pretty quick in our attempt to yell the other person into submission about how wrong their point of view is. Its all a self-perpetuating downward spiral that isn't going to get any better until we all get off our high horse and realize that just because you don't agree with someone it doesn't make them a bad person.

Change starts with each one of us and it isn't going to happen until we kick it in gear.

22. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

This is exactly what I was getting at. "Compromise" has become a dirty word. One is quick to be labeled weak, a traitor, or unAmerican if they do so. That's troubling. "Progress" has only ever been made two ways- one, through compromise, or two, all-all-or-nothing for one side after the two try to beat each other into submission and one side wins. At present, both sides are choosing the latter and - newsflash - violence is really the only way this method has ever come to a head.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think part of the current tension is that various groups are willing to demonize each other. Far too much of 'us versus them' in politics right now, both in the US and the UK.

24. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Indeed

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Wealthy, white, elderly baby boomers and poor non-white, young immigrants make for an explosive mix. I really believe that the aging boomers are half the problem. They are living much longer and are way more vocal than previous elderly generations.