Has this happened to you, or am I just lucky?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Robby9279, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Well this happened to me a long time ago, but I thought this would be something great to discuss.

In February of 2008, my 1st generation ipod touch had cracked down the middle of the screen, and I had no idea how. I had the ipod in my pocket, and pulled it out and it was cracked. Knowing that Apple did not cover cracked screens in the warranty I was very much upset, and figured I would be paying $150 to replace the screen. So I took the ipod to the Apple store, and got ready to pay to fix the thing. However before I said, how much am I going to pay for this? I asked a simple question that I thought would be rejected; "Is there anything you can do about this? I know it's against warranty policies however I had no idea how the ipod cracked, I had in my pocket, took it out and then was broken." The man I was talking to then went and got a genius or something like that. the genius responded "Well I know this goes against policies but... *pulls out brand-new in-box Ipod*... here" And gives me the brand new ipod swaped out for my old ipod. I had no idea why he did this for me, he said that we seemed like a nice family. and I have been ever-so-thankful for my ipod since that day.

So my question for you is, has anyone at apple done something similar for you? Or am I just lucky?

:apple:

2. roylikeswaffles macrumors newbie

woah. he's nicer than the verizon people :mad:
    the same thing happened to me except it was my chocolate that was broken. i had to buy a new phone :( now i have a dare so i guess it was a good and bad thing :p

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I did not have anything like that, although a week before my iPhone warranty ran out the screen started to not respond. This usually happens after the warranty expires. I was able to get into an Apple store 2 days before the warranty ended and got my phone replaced with a new one, and another year warranty. This one is starting to crap out and I will wait as long as I can before bringing it in.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

It all depends on your experience and who you're dealing with.
    I have been offered a free pair of hradphones since the speakers in mine were blown and I didn't even have to prove to them that I had puchased them in the last six months.

Then recently I had ONE dead pixle on my iPod's screen, it was my last return date and they didn't make me schedule a genius appointment.
    They swapted it with a brand new one and didn't charge me a restocking fee.
    That same day I was talking to the manager and he offered me a job, unfortunately I'm not 18.

I haven't heard that many stories of people having bad experiences at the Apple Store.

5. Robby9279 thread starter macrumors regular

My friend had something similar happen to his Ipod as well, except, since he heard I got mine replaced, he decided to throw his in the toilet for whatever reason, and got his replaced for free as well. I thought it was stupid and pointless that he would do anything like that, but this is how people are I guess.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

The stars were in alignment that day. In these times of negativity, nice to have a positive happen.

8. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

My iPhone was not responding and was out of warranty but I had scratched and dinged the side and back pretty well (the two problems are not related) and I took it to the Genius Bar....after 5 minutes the guy got it to turn on, but he said he would give me a new one just so it "wouldn't happen again." I didn't even ask. Such a nice guy, basically got my scratched iPhone replaced for nothing :]