Has US abstinence policy failed?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Thought this might be an interesting subject...

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

http://upc.*************/uploads/catmacros/1fail.jpg

Scaring kids into abstinence is an approach I can never understand. It's so beyond stupid and ineffective I can't believe they're trying. Why not say "yes, it's the ideal to remain abstinent, but in case that isn't what you decide to do, here is what you do to protect yourself..."

Hasn't the religious right learned yet about the implications of The Forbidden Fruit?

3. Queso macrumors G4

It was always going to fail. The entire program was based on parents burying their heads in the sand and pretending their kids were "better" than other peoples', with virtually no basis in reality.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Incidentally that's the name of my favorite low fat yoghurt.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

How fitting that I am curious. :D I bet its cravings are worse when you can't get it at the store too!

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Mmmmmmmmm. Fruit. :cool:

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was reading that article over the weekend, and I was shocked at the ideology of the Americans pro-abstinence groups.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I am shocked at how much worse it appears to be getting too.

When I was in high school (los angeles, california) they taught a proper sex ed class and showed everyone how to put on a condom, etc. They even stepped it up a notch a couple years later when one of the students (my best friend) died of AIDS and as a result they gave out free condoms for a while in one of the offices.

I wish that approach was more widespread (no pun intended)

If they can teach gun safety to prevent accidents then why not teach safe sex?

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's OK I usually only have it on saturday nights.

This is a great point.

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You'd think it would be no-brainer. Unfortunately, the people advocating abstinence-only have less than no brains.

12. djellison macrumors 68020

Let them enjoy themselves, and tell them how to do it safely.

The US is going to have a chronic STD problem if the law makers don't wake up and start acting realistically and responsibly.

Doug

13. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Are you kidding? This is the kind of fluff lawmakers live for! They can rile up a bunch of religious nut jobs and pass all sorts of junk and win the "think of the children" vote.

14. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I did an entire essay in my Sophomore Expository Writing class about why Abstinence-only education doesn't work..It was a nine-page essay, and one of my favourite documents was a 130-page long PDF of research that documented innacuracies related to condoms and such in abstinence-only education programs that are funded by the U.S. government with billions of dollars. It's a subject of interest to me, and the fact that people don't realise that abstinence should be taught along with safe sex alternatives scares me. It's a dangerous ideal, too...all those kids that don't know better; some are getting STDs or pregnant from not using condoms or birth control, because they don't know the benefits, or are taught that they're "bad." Our only health teacher in the school teaches sex ed. and all that, and she is an abstinence-only education whackjob. She scares the **** out of me..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.