iPhone X Has wireless charging removed the need to “charge” your iPhone?

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Let me explain:

I have the iPhone X and am getting great battery life (touch wood!)

I just place it down on the wireless charger at my desk during the day or just whenever.

At night it holds charge if I forget to plug it in or put it on a wireless charger.

I never really have to “charge” my iPhone X anymore.

It always has enough battery.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Let me explain:

I have the iPhone X and am getting great battery life (touch wood!)

I just place it down on the wireless charger at my desk during the day or just whenever.

At night it holds charge if I forget to plug it in or put it on a wireless charger.

I never really have to “charge” my iPhone X anymore.

It always has enough battery.
But you are charging it through the virtue of putting it onto a wireless charger at your desk during the day. Similar to how someone could charge their phone by plugging it in at their desk during the day.

You might basically be referring to the convenience/simplicity that's added. It sounds like it might be more fitting to the ongoing discussion at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wireless-charging-don’t-understand-the-appeal-on-iphone.2116655/.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2015
This post make absolutely no sense as you quite clearly stated you do charge your phone at your desk during the day or just whenever.

It always has enough battery because ‘Your Charging’ it

Reactions: eyeseeyou

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
But you are charging it through the virtue of putting it onto a wireless charger at your desk during the day. Similar to how someone could charge their phone by plugging it in at their desk during the day.

You might basically be referring to the convenience/simplicity that's added. It sounds like it might be more fitting to the ongoing discussion at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/wireless-charging-don’t-understand-the-appeal-on-iphone.2116655/.
Yeah. Like in the last it was like “oh look I’m low battery need to charge”

Now, by virtue of just setting it down on the wireless charger without even thinking about it, I always have charge.

With my iPhone X, I’ve never had to think “I need to charge my iPhone”

It always has battery. Even when I don’t charge at night I’m ok.

@-Gonzo-

What I’m saying is that I never have to “charge” it meaning think to myself “hey I’m low where’s the plug”

It always has enough battery for me

Reactions: rafark

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah. Like in the last it was like “oh look I’m low battery need to charge”

Now, by virtue of just setting it down on the wireless charger without even thinking about it, I always have charge.

With my iPhone X, I’ve never had to think “I need to charge my iPhone”

It always has battery. Even when I don’t charge at night I’m ok.

@-Gonzo-

What I’m saying is that I never have to “charge” it meaning think to myself “hey I’m low where’s the plug”

It always has enough battery for me
Just as it all would be the same for someone who plugs their phone in when they are at their desk during the day.

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Just as it all would be the same for someone who plugs their phone in when they are at their desk during the day.
Right but when I used to plug it in, I use to think "let me plug it in to get some charge"

I never think "let me set it on the charging mat to get charge"

I just passively place it there without even thinking, and I'm good.

Wireless charging has eliminated the worry of low battery for me, along with my iPhone X's superb battery life.

Reactions: Closingracer

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Right but when I used to plug it in, I use to think "let me plug it in to get some charge"

I never think "let me set it on the charging mat to get charge"

I just passively place it there without even thinking, and I'm good.

Wireless charging has eliminated the worry of low battery for me, along with my iPhone X's superb battery life.
Technically you do on some level think "let me set it on the charging mat to get charge" given that you can set it anywhere on your desk, or elsewhere even, but it won't charge just anywhere and only if placed on a charging mat. It's just that it takes much less effort (both physically and mentally) basically, and that is the convenience/simplicity factor that I mentioned earlier.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Everybody charges their phone.

Whether you set it down on a charging pad or connect the cable, you're thinking of charging.

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Technically you do on some level think "let me set it on the charging mat to get charge" given that you can set it anywhere on your desk, or elsewhere even, but it won't charge just anywhere and only if placed on a charging mat. It's just that it takes much less effort (both physically and mentally) basically, and that is the convenience/simplicity factor that I mentioned earlier.
Yeah I mean i have to make sure I don't miss the charging pad but like it's super easy and not something i really have to think about.
[doublepost=1525297112][/doublepost]
Everybody charges their phone.

Whether you set it down on a charging pad or connect the cable, you're thinking of charging.
I never really have to think about it.

In the past my battery used to get low a lot and I had to plug it in or if I forgot at night then all day it was a struggle for me but now it's become a non-issue.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017

In the past my battery used to get low a lot and I had to plug it in or if I forgot at night then all day it was a struggle for me but now it's become a non-issue.
That's just different types of cognitive processing. Most people associate charging with the Lightning cable. You associate charging with a charging pad.

It's like saying by wearing a diaper, you don't need to defecate or urinate anymore. You still think about it, just in different ways.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah I mean i have to make sure I don't miss the charging pad but like it's super easy and not something i really have to think about.
[doublepost=1525297112][/doublepost]

As mentioned, the difference is in the convenience/simplicity (not in actually charging or not charing).

quietstormSD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I've been good at charging my phones in the past where I haven't needed to charge them that often. And I'm not sure if it's the X or the wireless charging, but I always feel like I'm at a good battery level and very rarely ever need to charge my device.

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I've been good at charging my phones in the past where I haven't needed to charge them that often. And I'm not sure if it's the X or the wireless charging, but I always feel like I'm at a good battery level and very rarely ever need to charge my device.
Yeah same like I don’t NEED to charge my device. Like I’m always good.

Never low on battery even when I don’t charge at night.

My guess is wireless charging plus great iPhone X battery life for me, knock on wood!
[doublepost=1525301560][/doublepost]
I've never used my Lightening port in my 8 Plus. Ever.
Yeah I’ve rarely used it.

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2010
This post make absolutely no sense as you quite clearly stated you do charge your phone at your desk during the day or just whenever.

It always has enough battery because ‘Your Charging’ it
I think he means more of he doesn't have to go out of his way to find a wall outlet to charge his phone now

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think he means more of he doesn't have to go out of his way to find a wall outlet to charge his phone now
Which is basically the convenience/simplicity factor that was alluded to in the first reply, but wasn't something that the OP agreed with.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I agree you don't have to charge your iPhone if it's always charged....but you still need to charge it to make sure it's always charged...

Reactions: Crow_Servo

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
I think the op means because they sit the phone on the charger instead of just on the desk they never run short, i do the same.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
well personally i use wireless charging when at work watching something like football/basketball. weekends only though when ive done my work of course lol but also at night i use my wireless charging stand. only time i have ever used a cable is at my girlfriends house. love how easy it is to leave it on the charger I currently use the standing wireless which is ideal for watching things and to check things in the middle of the night if needed.

maerz001

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2010
well personally i use wireless charging when at work watching something like football/basketball. weekends only though when ive done my work of course lol but also at night i use my wireless charging stand. only time i have ever used a cable is at my girlfriends house. love how easy it is to leave it on the charger I currently use the standing wireless which is ideal for watching things and to check things in the middle of the night if needed.
your work is watching TV? nice :)