Has your generally "happy go lucky" pup ever met someone they really didint like?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, May 2, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I have an 18 month old blue weimaraner named Zoey who is just about the happiest go lucky dog you could ever meet. Shes always happy to meet new people, and is just full of love, friendliness, and playfullness.

Yesterday though was a slightly different story. I was at a friends house who are kind enough to let me bring her when I come to visit, and things were fine for about three hours until this one person showed up. As soon as he walked into the house she just started barking her head off and growling. I took her and was holding her by the collar and was trying to calm her down, but she continued this even when he bent over to try and make friends with her...I really thought the guy was going to get bit...

Having been around plenty of people since she was a puppy, and also having been through several obedience classes AND going to doggy day care once a week, she is VERY well socialized and this behavior towards this person was bizzare to the say the least....

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

It's a sign. Stay away from that person. Your dog can hear and smell things you can't. :)

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It is possible that your dog was simply reacting to the smell of another dog on his clothes. Dogs may be able to smell things you can't, but it's not always relevant.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I demand pics of Zoey glocke12. I love weimaraners :)

5. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

HI Andy

they are great dogs arent they? best companion ive ever had!

there are some pics in this gallery page.

http://gallery.me.com/glocke12#100221

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

My dog will gladly be friendly to most people but the postman and people that come to my door trying to sell crap... especially Jehovah's Witnesses, even in the street she can tell who they are lol.

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

We have a mutt, Sammy -- billed as a beagle mix, she weighs 60 pounds, so it must be a beagle-deer mix -- who is sometimes very neutral around visitors, and sometimes she can be too friendly, but she's never aggressive. At the same time, she can be very protective of our children. Mostly it's just her asserting her position between as protector when Mom and Dad aren't around (that is, she never liked baby sitters much).

One afternoon we were out and my son got ahead of us with Sammy, turned a corner and met a jogger. Sammy became uncharacteristically aggressive, snapping at the jogger. This wasn't at all typical for her.

We caught up, made our apologies to the jogger, who wasn't very satisfied and finally went our ways. I've often wished if I could find out more who this man was, but I'm sure Sammy sensed something. Maybe it was a coincidence or he reeked of another dog she didn't like. But there was definitely something going on.

Personally, I think dogs can smell criminal records.

mt

8. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

It could be how he entered the house. I know once I poked my head around the corner before coming in, and my dog freaked out. So maybe he was stomping in, or came in too fast, etc.

Then again, I do think dogs are a good judge of personality...