Hate the Gays, Hate the Capitalists Christian right steals rights.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, May 1, 2014.

1. steve knight, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

This is just crazy this law seems to let Christians Do what they want without any law preventing them. I am sure there are more details but it seems pretty bad. they can do it and others can't. but then again what would stop a gay person saying they are christian and kicking out another christian? these laws are so full of holes they make a sieve look solid.
    the hate and ignorance of the christian right is amazing.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-peron/hate-the-gays-hate-the-ca_b_5237856.html

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What else can you say? Haters gonna hate.

Best part of the article. ****ing hilarious.

3. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

What a strange angle that article has. It seems to be suggesting that the "We don't discriminate: if you're buying, we're selling' signage is an overt defence of capitalism rather than a simple non-discriminatory message; and furthermore it seems to suggest that 'hating' capitalism is every bit as bad as 'hating' homosexuality.

4. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Why is this outrageous news now? Since 1997, 19 states have passed state versions of the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act that was enacted into law in 1993. The language and scope of the state laws is virtually identical to the federal law (which passed nearly unanimously in the US Congress by the way).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Religious_Freedom_Restoration_Acts

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That say what is quoted in post #1? That's (what is in post 1) unmitigated BS. It's what happens when you put theists in the position of passing self serving laws.

How do you feel about it?

6. Zeos macrumors 6502

I think it goes both ways. A-theists want their way, and theists want their way. What's the difference between the 'religion of no god' passing laws, vs. the 'religion of a god' passing laws. Humans will always be pitifully self-serving no matter what position they hold. I hold atheists and theists in the same regard in this area.

7. dec. Suspended

dec.

I disagree. I find it ****ing crazy, irrational (yay, "religion") and disgusting that "religious" people seriously expect that their own personal "god" should be the guideline for everyone else. Atheists (I dislike that term as it doesn't even remotely represent my detachment from any "religious" concept whatsoever) on the other hand don't come up with any non-provable "god" to justify their own values, guidelines or whatever you want to call it - "Allah"/"Satan"/"God"/"Xenu"/"whateverothercrapyourdaddytoldyoutobelievein" - all should have equal influence on laws -> zero.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Not sure when, if ever, gay rights became an atheist cause. Most persons in the US prefer to treat other persons with reasonable respect. Even most christians are not interested in discriminating against gays, these jerks are just outliers who want to force everyone else to be jerks.

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

This is the price of politicians using religion. Eventually it's religion that ends up using using the politicians.

10. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

A) Not a religion.
    B) Oh noes, we might just have no religion getting any special treatment. We might not have people getting discriminated against because something a book says. How terrible would that be?!

:O

11. Zeos macrumors 6502

Oh yes. Atheism IS a religion. Takes a lot of faith to be an atheist; as much faith as any religion. Deny, keep your bias. But you're fooling yourself.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I don't have faith in anything. I have a lack of belief. It takes, for me, just as much faith to be an Atheist as it takes faith to believe that I'm going to wake up tomorrow with both of my legs. I don't have any reason to believe otherwise.

13. Zeos macrumors 6502

Lol. You sound like a religious dictator yourself. Like I said, atheism is a religion. Your rant sounds just like any other in tolerant hater. You guys crack me up. This is the exact kind of rant you claim to hate. Just happens it's you so it's okay. Lol

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I mean, I guess if you keep repeating that to yourself it might become the truth to you. But here in the real world lack of faith doesn't require any faith.

15. Zeos macrumors 6502

Silly, naive and self-serving. You have FAITH that there is no God. And that does take faith, no matter how what you say and how much you struggle to deny.

16. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Sorry, your book of fairytales is not on equal footing with secularism. I know that's really what it comes down to in the end, and that's the truth of it.

----------

You have FAITH that there is no Santa claus. And that does take faith.

17. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

No, I simply don't believe. There's a difference. I'm open to the idea of there being a god, or gods, but right now I simply don't see any reason to believe.

18. dec. Suspended

dec.

I have zero issues with being intolerant of people who attempt to force their mythological "beliefs" upon others - you need to learn the difference between "action" and "reaction". It's nothing new that people like you enjoy declaring the absence of a "religion" as a "religion" as base for the usual self victimisation process ("you're so intolerant for not tolerating my intolerance11!!!!"), I mean how else could you possibly justify that your very own personal "god" should have any saying whatsoever in laws that affect those who don't want to have anything to do with that (or any other) "religion"?

19. samiwas Suspended

Wait, are you saying what's the difference between allowing some people to discriminate against one group but not allowing the second group to discriminate against the first, and saying that's all okay because the first group is religious, and that's what matters?

Are you saying that one group asking for no discrimination is the same as a group asking for discrimination?

20. Zeos macrumors 6502

Totally agree. I have zero tolerance for people that impose their mythological beliefs on others. Including your mythical beliefs and the beliefs of many other religions.

----------

Everyone discriminates. You folks on this particular discussion sound like discriminatory haters too. Funny how we all can justify our own intolerance and hate so easily. Just always cracks me up how self-righteous and self-justifying everyone can be.

----------

Ok, so you're agnostic. Fine. But then your religion is that God, if there is one, doesn't matter enough to care. Your faith lies in the fact that the repercussions of that belief have consequences that won't matter to you or won't have unfavorable eternal consequences (or some variation on that). If you just plain don't care, I don't buy that. You get a deep cut on your finger and you care. But you don't care enough about the possibility of an eternity?

----------

You don't have any idea what my faith is. I do believe you assume to much. I simply like to point out fallacies in self-serving, biased statements made by religious folks like yourself.

21. dec. Suspended

dec.

It is quite evident that one of the major issues is your inability to understand that there are people who simply don't have any "religion" whatsoever, may it be (in my case for example) because they never were trained as kids to follow a certain "religion", they weren't constantly told that there "is a god up there watching", or they decided at some point that they simply have no need for it.

Of course that inability could be very well self-inflicted in order to justify the discrimination of non-"believers", I can see how that works, it's the typical arrogance of "religious" people who want to push their own agenda. With all the different "religions" around, the logical consequence should be equality for all - meaning no relevance whatsoever when it comes to laws and legal issues in general. The only way to try to argument against that is by declaring Non-"religion" as a "religion", so really I'm not sure if you're unable to understand that "religion" is simply a trained behavior and people can do well without or if you're being obtuse for the sake of accusing Non-theists for equally intolerant as those who use a fictional figure to control the lives of others. Either way, it's just a matter of time until secularity will reach even the slower states.

22. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

There is no such thing as "the religion of no god". AGAIN: Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

And don't forget that people passing "religious" laws are only representing ONE branch of ONE religion. So it's not like "atheist vs religious laws" would be an apt comparison; you can be a religious person dienfranchised by laws (of a different religion).

Otherwise Christians would be cool with Shiria Law, right?

----------

Does that mean you have FAITH there is no invisible pink unicorn that lives in my garage? Do you follow the "religion of no invisible pink unicorn that lives in Lannister80's garage"?

Where does your faith group of fellow "no invisible pink unicorn that lives in Lannister80's garage" believers meet? I'd love to attend a meeting!

23. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Be careful, your ignorance is showing.

I have no faith what so ever. What I have is items with observable proof and items that lack of observable proof. Guess which one all major religions fall into.

The religious try to muddy the discussion by calling the lack of faith faith because they know they can't win in any rational discussion. Religion thrives in the absence of rational thought.

24. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Actually, no I don't.:p The only thing I find disturbing is the radicals who thinks their way is the ONLY way.:eek: Make me wonder what the heil Gott was thinking when created a neigh infinite universe yet crammed all the people onto ONE teeny, tiny planet.:p

So howzabout it, mien Gott. Whisk me away to some other M class planet and let me bring my "Eve" of choice. Or several.:D

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I, on the other hand, know first-hand exactly what faith is (I was raised by a seminarian). And I also know first-hand exactly what delusion is (I spent 4 months in a mental hospital to be cured of it). The difference is between the two imperceptible.